IAN123.

Architectural Violence.

Me to Jill it was heavenly!

All this talk of Barries ..bet the Greggs users walk by this on a daily basis.plaque-to-j-m-barrie-author-of-peter-pan

• Like 1

Another fine building no longer with us in Nottingham was The Mechanics Institute on Milton St.

Thomas Hawksley and Robert Jalland

( yes the pub!)turned their architect drawings into a building of splendour in the city centre.Opening it's doors in January 1845- the library contained 40,000 volumes, so famous was this building ..in the winter of 1858-Charles Dickens read out his Christmas Carol.

In March of1867 a serious fire caused much damage.After insurance and a public appeal, a new hall was built with more seating and lit by 81 gas jets.

Oscar Wilde, Anthony Trollope, Captain Scott and Sir Ernest Shacketon are just a few of the famous names that read or spoke there.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle( staying at Black Boy Hotel) spoke to a crowd stretching into Milton St.

A bewilered city then witnessed the demise of this fine building...partly at the Institutes own instruction!

And in 1964 work began on Birbeck House. The stone facade was removed and bought by an American for his Californian home.

At a cost of £750,000 the new building opened in 1966"Adapting itself to changing times" was the strap line for this apalling edifice.

It only lasted 38 years and now houses flats and retailing..as Birbeck House was demolished.

They now are based on North Sherwood St. Sources within the institute relay a "regret" at the loss of such a fine Nottm building.

289226_761863_1284882460.jpg

• Like 3

The Mechanics..near it's end.Not forgetting the Mechanics had a cinema within it.. sometimes known as forge hall. Showing DR.NO here.images_22.jpg

The construction begins..this disruption seemed to go on forever..my Mum did enjoy the cheeky banter from the builders though.

Haslams/ Akins and eventually Ladbrokes took up residence, as did Northern Rock and Babel.NTGM014128.jpg

A black and white shot including panda car of Birbeck House.1974.7c7zx_Bz.jpg

A 1977 shot of Birbeck House on Burton St. This side housed Nat West Bank, Allied Carpets ( constant sale)

and Gunn & Moore sports shop, with ramps and parking on North Church St.d64cc261aa5b801eeeea3961af6bfeff--nottin

• Like 1

In the 70s' and 80's they had a store on Burton/ North Church St.934402-advertisement-for-gunn-moore-ltd-

My ex mother in law was licensee in the Mechanics Institute, 1970s and 80s.

• Like 1

I wanted to take my ex mother in law to India, they would have thought she was sacred!!

• Like 1

An Albion tipper waits to be filled as The Mechanics is being demolished...

the onlooking clocks station meets the same fate soon enough.9752ed083697666ff3ed561c5c3fafe7.jpg