I'm very lucky to live in one of the places that has just made the best places to live list in the Times newspaper. Fiskerton cum Morton (also known as Morton cum Fiskerton) are two villages that more or less merge into each other, about 2 miles outside Southwell. The Bromley Arms Fiskerton occupies a lovely spot on the banks of the Trent and to sit by the river on a summer evening enjoying a pint is bliss. There is also the delightful Full Moon pub in Morton. The place has come to prominence recently as the broad band in the area was terrible but due to a self funded diy effort by locals now enjoys some of the fastest broadband speeds available. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

I'm very lucky to live in one of the places that has just made the best places to live list in the Times newspaper.  

Yes, nice area letsavagoo, we did look at a house in Fiskerton when we were moving back up this way 14 years ago but we were dictated to some extent on time and distance to Arnold which is where my Dad was living, he was, afterall the reason we were moving here.  

The town we left at that time (Berkhamsted) is in the top 10 for the South East, and well deserved too.  I still miss it but do enjoy the convenience of living close to Nottingham. 

• Upvote 1

If Fiskerton is so wonderful (and living nearby I’m not saying it isn’t) I can recommend a splendid riverside house there for sale which has been on the market for over a year. It belonged to a very old friend of mine, another extremely grumpy old bugger. Has it not sold because he shot himself there? Is it jinxed? Would it put you off?

He was getting on (older than me), and yes he was depressed. He still drove a car though and a Fiskerton has both a bus and train service. Waitrose do deliver to Fiskerton ‘cause it’s posh! It wouldn’t bother me but would the nature of his demise put people off? Search for the house on line. My wife says the decor puts her off. It does have its own landing stage on the river.

1 minute ago, IAN123. said:

Reminds me of a story..few years back ...when the Celtic Tiger lost it's teeth.

Doing a roof for a fella..i was pointing a valley and i heard a bang...hour or so later i went in for a brew...he'd only gone and shot himself!....never did get paid.

We’ve had two shooting deaths in our village in recent years. I think if I live here much longer I’ll do the same but I can’t get my wife to move!

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

If Fiskerton is so wonderful (and living nearby I’m not saying it isn’t) I can recommend a splendid riverside house there for sale which has been on the market for over a year. It belonged to a very old friend of mine, another extremely grumpy old bugger. Has it not sold because he shot himself there? Is it jinxed? Would it put you off?

Finally found your old mate’s house and no, I certainly wouldn’t buy it.  It’s not an attractive building, overpriced and would also need at least £150k spending on it and that’s why it’s been on the market so long.  Nice river view and a two minute stroll to the Bromley Arms but it’s got no road frontage by the looks of it. 

I’d be a good estate agent. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Finally found your old mate’s house and no, I certainly wouldn’t buy it.  It’s not an attractive building, overpriced and would also need at least £150k spending on it and that’s why it’s been on the market so long.  Nice river view and a two minute stroll to the Bromley Arms but it’s got no road frontage by the looks of it. 

I’d be a good estate agent. 

Exactly Lizzie. It’s not the jinx is it? Yes there is no road frontage and that part of the river view is not particularly attractive as it just looks over open fields. You’ve got to get up to Hazleford and futher upstream to see the attractive part of the Trent Valley as we can see from home. I think he got himself banned from the Bromley as he was from the Waggon. His nearest, where he was allowed, was the Old Coach House in Southwell. He was known as a grumpy old bugger and it was alluded to by the vicar at his funeral. We all liked him though. He was quite a character and certainly had an eye for the ladies. Before he moved to Fiskerton he built and owned the Springfield pub on the Epperstone by-pass after retiring from the engineering trade. 

6 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I knew grumpy Gordon very well. I used to fix his computer for him which he seemed to bugger up on a daily basis. I went flying with him several times some years ago. In fact I have some photos of my house I took from the air when I was with him. He was very abrasive and often rude but a character and I rather liked him although my wife didn't. Not at all. I went with him to the Waggon a few times albeit several years ago, didn't know he'd been banned and I've seen him in the Bromley. Don't know why you'd ban him unless it was very serious as he drank sufficiently to keep the profits up. I was very shocked when he shot himself. I knew he was down after Mavis died but still rather drastic. The house could be very nice. Stands nicely on the river but awful from the road. I think it's a pleasant view. Looks across to where the battle of East Stoke took place in the civil war. It's got that separate small house in the front yard too. Fine for a granny annex but if sold separately a definite no no. I think the mooring in front is being sold separately too so not included with the house.

Just to put the record straight it is the combined villages of Fiskerton and Morton that have both made the Times list not just Fiskerton. I believe that Morton is actually the more atractive but I would say that, wouldn't I (but it really is)

42 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

Just to put the record straight it is the combined villages of Fiskerton and Morton that have both made the Times list 

My ancestor John Wilson can be seen with his second wife and family at the Burgage, Southwell on the 1851 Census . He was born 1770s.

His birthplace is given as Morton .

(He ended up in the Workhouse !) .

Years ago ,  having a mooch around the churchyard at Fiskerton noticed a Wilson's Lane nearby and since then have always wondered if that lane had any connection to my ancestors . 

• Upvote 1

Hello David. There isn't a church or church yard in Fiskerton is there? Perhaps you mean St Denis at Morton. As for Wilsons Lane I don't know off hand the origin of the 'Wilson' in the Lane. I was the chair of the local history society but gave it over some time ago but am still involved so I'll do some digging for you. 

Incidentally my cousin has done the family tree on my mothers side and is way back to the 1300's. I'm sure we have Wilsons from Southwell and a very posh landed gent with a plaque at Rolleston Church. Who knows long lost cousin David. Rather surprising to find I have ancestors out here as I was born and raised in Radford. I had no connection at all here but just liked the area so moved.

12 hours ago, plantfit said:

No mention of Bulwell then Letsavagoo? slywink

Rog

Didn't see it on the list Rog. You need really fast broadband apparently.

I was an apprentice electrician when Crabtree was being built which I stuck at for 4 days. I did later live in Bulwell for a few years 76 to 81. My son was born there. Not been back for years.

• Like 2

Thanks for that , it must have been the church at Morton . As I said it was many years ago .

I do have a lot of written info on the Southwell Wilson's ,  much of it sent to me by a researcher of another (later ) John Wilson and his second wife Mary Ann Whitton.

Going further back than those , there's  yet another earlier JOHN WILSON  who was born 1743 in Morton .  He married an ELIZABETH RAGSDALE .

On 21 March 2018 at 0:59 AM, DAVIDW said:

Thanks for that , it must have been the church at Morton . As I said it was many years ago .

I do have a lot of written info on the Southwell Wilson's ,  much of it sent to me by a researcher of another (later ) John Wilson and his second wife Mary Ann Whitton.

Going further back than those , there's  yet another earlier JOHN WILSON  who was born 1743 in Morton .  He married an ELIZABETH RAGSDALE .

I've asked around David and this is what I've found out re Wilsons Lane in Morton.

I don't know when Wilson's Lane acquired its name, but it was known as such in 1841 as this name appears on the Enclosure Award map and quite obviously was so-called because the only residents on it were Wilsons, -  Robert and wife, Sarah, at what is now Elvina Cottage, and James and wife, Ann, at what is now Morton Fields Cottage, but was for years the Poplars, on the corner of Gravelly Lane. I am sure they were brothers - James born 1767 and Robert 1769. Each owned their properties - Robert had 4 acres at Elvina and James 9 acres. The 1841 census shows there was another Wilson, Joseph,  round the corner, I think at Hollycroft, who was probably another brother (age is about right).

James died in 1841 and his son, another James, moved into the Poplars. Robert's daughters continued to live in Elvina.  It would be possible to find out who the parents were and to confirm the brothers, but I don't have the baptism records before 1813, though they are available at Southwell library had I the time and inclination! 

So so you need to visit the Library at Southwell now. If you do want to go then check the opening times as it closes several half days.
hope this helps.

A credit to Jo Blaney who gave me this information.

Letsavagoo , thanks for that info , really appreciate you taking the trouble to find this out . 

Unfortunately won't be visiting Southwell anytime soon but will dig out the.paperwork I have and see if I can tie up any of my John Wilsons to either James or Robert .

The only thing is those two at Morton owned sizeable pieces of land , whereas my lot seemed a bit more lowly !  :)

5 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

The only thing is those two at Morton owned sizeable pieces of land , whereas my lot seemed a bit more lowly !  :)

You never know David. I'm lowly but it is widely rumoured that we are related to Lord Byron by blood on my fathers side. My gg grandmother was named Ada Byron Martin. Perhaps not beyond the realms of possibility given Mr Byrons rather active 'social' life. I think there must be plenty of Byron's offspring dotted around.

On my mothers side a very long time ago a direct descendant was apparently Lord Mayor of London and In the 1900's some family members were quite wealthy and owned a lot of property particularly in Arnold. Don't know where the money  went but it didn't find it way to me............unfortunately.

I've just noticed your not local so Southwell library would be a stretch.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

You never know David. I'm lowly but it is widely rumoured that we are related to Lord Byron by blood

Can't claim any important connections , the best my Southwell / Morton ancestors could do was to rise to the dizzy heights of "Ag Lab" (Agricultural labourer).

Only notoriety was that one of my John Wilsons was fined for "gross insubordination" in the Southwell Workhouse.....in his 70s !.... oh and being drunk in one of the Southwell pubs .

Just had a quick look through my old emails and found this sent by another researcher , so when I have chance will have to see whether the James and Robert you mentioned are linked to either Joseph or Thomas Wilson mentioned below .

"Okay, your Wilsons... John was christened Nov 6, 1743 in Morton, first child of Joseph & Mary. I can't find a marriage. Nor can I find a christening for Joseph.
I'm sure his parents must be Thomas Wilson & Mary Pettiner, married Jan 3, 1710 in Morton. Mary was a widower, nee Bacon, who had married Richard Pettiner in Farnsfield
(both noted as being from Morton in the register) on Nov 26, 1705. So, either Joseph was a full Wilson, or maybe from the previous marriage and adopted? Either way,
I can't find a christening."