I don't want to push in here but, in consideration of Chulla's post in the "What Are You Listening To Now" thread ( I linked it earlier), do you think it might be suitable to have the closing bars of Parsifal played at his funeral?

Also, I don't want to make this seem creepy or anything like that either but, as that post from Chulla was so recent, do you think he knew of his impending demise?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of my favourite poems, written by that little known Nottinghamshire youth, George Gordon Byron, is The Vision of Judgement. It deals with the arrival at the pearly gates of King George III who, as

I looked at the chulla Member offline tag today with great concern. Unfortunately my fears were confirmed. I did not know until today. Never knew his real name. The shock of learning about his death t

We thought the service for Chulla was quite fitting - and it was good to hear more about his life from his friend David.  You spoke well, too, Katyjay.  It was good to see so many Nottstalgians there

Only just seen this

RIP Chulla a very bright and witty gentleman whose posts on here were always a delight to read.

My sincere condolences to his family.

(I didn't know he was related to KatyJ.)

• Like 1

On a wet, cold bank holiday, I decided to honour the memory of The Dalai Chulla and watch the DVD of David Lean's Brief Encounter, a film made some 12 years before I was born.

I've read the Noel Coward play on which this film was based and Coward did a magnificent job of transferring it to the big screen, losing none of its waspish wit and innuendo.

Considering David Lean despaired of total newcomer Trevor Howard's failure to understand his character at all (serial womanizer, Howard, complained that his screen persona shouldn't be wasting his time wooing the cut-glass accented Celia Johnson and ought to get "stuck in!") he extracted a mesmerising performance from Howard as the jaded Dr Harvey, bored with his job as a GP and his 'delicate' wife.

Today's generation probably view this film as reflecting life on another planet but there is, if you look hard enough, a subtle message from 1945 to those ...mainly women...who had strayed from their absent spouses during WW2 about 'guilt, decency and self respect'.  Today, it's more likely to be a quick 5 minutes round the back of Tesco after throwing out time, perhaps, so much has our world changed.

There is also the inspired choice of Rachmaninoff's piano concerto number 2, mainly the first 2 movements but a tad of the third over the closing scene. Anything else just wouldn't have cut the mustard. Having watched the film, I listened to a CD of this work, although Rachmaninoff isn't a composer I'd normally choose and, if I did, it would be piano concerto number 3 which I prefer, or his Vespers. Number 2 is a real tearjerker and it's impossible not to get drawn in.

Ah, Chulla. He would love it! Bless him.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

I once read that Trevor Howard wasn't bothered what species it was , as long as it was breathing !

Oh yes Jill. He definitely liked the sauce ! Always admired him as an actor though.

Well said Jill Sparrow, Chulla would have loved your poem! Regretfully I won't be at the funeral but I will be raising a glass of the amber liquid elevenish on the 18th. to the memory of a truly Super Nottstalgian. RIP Chulla

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

A lovely post Ian.  Chulla will always be in our thoughts, he made everyone feel so welcome, a really lovely man who will be sadly missed.  See you on Wednesday.:(

• Like 3

I'm only just seeing this thread. Awful shock to hear the news of his passing. God bless him. Lovely man who introduced me to a lot of wonderful music. Always had time for a young in like me. Will be sadly missed. Please will someone inform me of funeral arrangements as I'd like to pay my respects. 

• Like 1

Only met chulla four or five times but through his posts seem to have known him quite well. I'll miss this likeable man, who brought some of us together. Sincerely  hope that he will be  celebrated through future meetings and website topics.

See you all there on Wed.

ps, Nice post Ian. 

• Like 5

Sadly, I will not be able to attend Chulla's funeral tomorrow due to work commitments but I will be thinking of him, his family and all Nottstalgians who gather to celebrate his life. He will long live on in our thoughts and posts. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

He certainly will Jill,..........called me Alf Garnet cheeky git''.............lovely man................

A good man willing to share and contribute to an interested group of folk.

I will miss his very balanced and trenchant contributions to this forum.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

called me Alf Garnet cheeky git''.............lovely man................

He did too but then I called him the Dalai Chulla! Never saw him in saffron robes but he was very much like the present Dalai Lama. Same cheeky face!

• Like 2

I too sadly cannot attend due to prior arrangements, but will be thinking of a good, kind and thoughtful man.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

He certainly will Jill,..........called me Alf Garnet cheeky git''.............lovely man................

If the cap fits, as they say Ben.  Wear it!   :biggrin:

Edited to add.  It's bit far for me so I won't be there tomorrow but will be thinking of Y'all.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1