Chulla used to go in 'Wethers bulwell'' and if was'nt in,he asked the Geezers wheres Ben?..........told them about Chulla's demise and even they said, he seemed a ''good bloke'',,..........and they don't do compiments,,it was nice.............

• Like 5
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of my favourite poems, written by that little known Nottinghamshire youth, George Gordon Byron, is The Vision of Judgement. It deals with the arrival at the pearly gates of King George III who, as

I looked at the chulla Member offline tag today with great concern. Unfortunately my fears were confirmed. I did not know until today. Never knew his real name. The shock of learning about his death t

We thought the service for Chulla was quite fitting - and it was good to hear more about his life from his friend David.  You spoke well, too, Katyjay.  It was good to see so many Nottstalgians there

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

I'm sure Chulla will be somewhere up there, looking down and watching what was happening in his name.

Don't you believe it. He'll be busy interviewing scanties for his latest project: Dalai Chulla's Heavenly Tibetan Tipple Emporium.

By the time the rest of us get there, it'll be a chain to outrival Wetherspoons!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Reading through the posts in this thread, what stands out most of all is how close everyone felt to our lost pal, Chulla.  I didn't have the opportunity to meet him but by all accounts he was a  top man, who made friends easily.  I shall remember him most of all for his poetry; a subject I never could master.  Wherever he is just now, may the Gods bless him - especially Buddha, who clearly modelled himself on our dear friend, Chulla.

RIP Chulla, miduck.

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't been on Nottstalgia for a while so I've only just learned of Chulla passing away. I first saw 'Member Offline' and stared at it with disbelief and sadness. I knew Chulla was ill but hadn't realised how seriously. I thought he was responding well to his treatment.

I've just read every one of the posts and the warm feelings, friendship and respect that shone through even though some, like myself, had never met him. I always found Chulla to be a very intelligent and witty chap who amused us with so many of his poems. A great loss to Nottstalgia.

My belated condolances to his wife, Katyjay and all his family. Rest In peace, Chulla.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

When I logged into Nottstalgia on Monday I had some good news to report but when I saw the posts about Chulla it didn't seem that important anymore. My good news relates to Chulla and yourself, catfan. For a while you and Chulla had both been stressing the importance of getting checked for prostate cancer. I hadn't had any symptoms or anything but because of your posts I saw my doctor and had a blood test which, thankfully, was found to be normal.

• Like 7

Michael I was lectured by Chulla on a regular basis  (in a nice fatherly way of course) until I took the plunge & got checked out. Chulla gave me the confidence to get it done, which I did. He always was ready to give me advice whenever I asked & I will always be grateful to him.

Glad to hear you are OK of course Michael.

• Like 3

I didn't know the correct place to post this but in the Hucknall Dispatch this week on page 2 is an tribute on Dave Birch (chulla) . They do have a web page so you should be able to read it on there.   hucknalldispatch.co.uk 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for the head's up, Trogg, but I can't find the article in the on-line version of the paper. Is there someone who would be kind enough to send me a copy, or just the cut out article, please.

• Like 1

A whopping great big Thank You to Trogg, who copied the article and emailed it to me. A great tribute to Chulla. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I have tried to copy and paste Trogg's email to me, re: Hucknall Dispatch, but it was sent in a pdf and I can't seem to copy and paste and you open it, so I found the speech Dave Piggott gave at Dave's funeral, and I reckon the article is just about word for word, except there is a photo in the newspaper article. Scroll down to the 4th email on the page I'm sending.

http://www.enginehistory.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=2955&sid=3d665eb974332b0c4f1588c750e0201f

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Permit me KJ.

The following was spoken by Dave Piggott at Dave Birch's funeral...

DAVID BIRCH 1939 – 2018

David Birch was an aviation historian, “ par excellence “.

Dave was a founder member of the Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust back in 1981 and he played an important and significant role in the activities of the Derby & Hucknall Branch throughout this time, being a member of our Executive Committee until very recently. Dave did not only work through the Trust, but was involved with many other aviation based organisations. For example he was a member and author for Air Britain in the UK and by the example he set was one of the inspirations that led to the Aircraft Engine Historical Society of America being set up. He had a cadre of contacts around the world who regularly either phoned or emailed him with their queries.

Dave was born in Sherwood, Nottingham on 12 August 1939 and was educated at the William Crane Scool, Aspley, and like many boys of his generation was inspired by the things around him. The skies were full of exciting new military aeroplanes and impressive steam locomotives were criss-crossing the countryside.
In 1955 , Dave joined Rolls-Royce at their Flight Test Centre at Hucknall Aerodrome as an apprentice. He worked as a skilled coppersmith and soon knew every nook and cranny of the site. In the late 1970s, when the Flight Test activities at Hucknall had been wound down, He joined Product Support in Derby, the organisation which looked after the Company’s engines out in service. Dave retired in 1995 completing 40 years service with the Company.

Dave must have been born with a way with words, as he soon started writing about aeroplanes as he wished to share his enthusiasm with others. He became established as an author with organisations such as Air Britain.

As soon as our Trust came into existence, Dave began collecting historic Rols-Royce documents and formed an archive in the cellars in the Main Works in Nightingale Road, Derby. This was research material for his writings. Our first Branch magazine, The Archive, soon appeared full of interesting articles to be circulated to our growing membership.
Dave was a detailed and tenacious researcher, he knew what he wanted and did not give up until he had found it. Not only did he research and write the articles, but he also type set them. It was a bit of a “ Forth Bridge Job “ as he insisted doing it all himself and produced three or four 64 page editions each year. Slowly other members offered articles for inclusion and if they came up to Dave’s high standards, he would include them. When the printing process went digital, the wife of a member who had professional experience, assisted by taking over the type setting duties. In all, a total of 94 magazines were published until the Trust’s all branch Journal replaced our branch edition. I often think, it was a pity Dave was denied his century! Never the less, Dave continued to be a major contributor to the Journal.

Dave authored many books for the Trust including books on the Handley Page Halifax, the Rolls-Royce Crecy and the Meteor tank engines, armaments. Probably his two masterpieces were his book on Rolls-Royce and the Mustang and his life’s work, the History of Hucknall the latter being published just last year. I know that the Hucknall volume gave him great satisfaction and sense of achievement, especially in that it received some excellent reviews from places that Dave held in high regard.

To recognise all Dave’s achievements with his pen, in late 2016 the Sir Henry Royce Memorial Foundation presented Dave, in front of all his peers, with their Gold Medal.

There are many other stories that I could recount after over 35 years of association and friendship with Dave, but all good things come to an end.

Dave, well done, you will be sorely missed for all your achievements and wise counsel, rest in peace.

Dave Piggott
4 April 2018

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Have known Dave for almost 50 yrs but have never realised his about him.

• Like 2

Thanks Trogg and Catfan.  I’ve already asked a Hucknallite friend to pick up a copy of the paper for me.  As Nonna has commented, those who got to know Chulla had no idea how talented he was.  To us he was Dave, a thoroughly nice chap.  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I looked at the chulla Member offline tag today with great concern. Unfortunately my fears were confirmed. I did not know until today. Never knew his real name. The shock of learning about his death truly touched me. 

I always bottled out of meetings because I am innately shy, but I wish I had met him. I feel he would have made me welcome. I was often in Nottingham at the time of a meet but couldn't summon up the courage. Now an great opportunity has been missed.

He always seemed to me to have a very incisive mind, and he knew what he was talking about too. Decent men are rare. 

I will miss his contributions to NS as he was very influential in many respects. 

Also, I wish his family peace following his demise, and I do hope that they find some comfort in knowing that he was respected by people he never knew in person. 

• Like 15
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...