I couldn't remember all the words to that song, so I looked up the lyrics, and I reckon they are a bit suspect!

... the bloke IS being overly persuasive!  When I used to listen to it, I suppose I just never noticed the words particularly

• Like 1

Not looking good for the likes of Frank Sinatra, is it?  My Way and All or Nothing at All....banned because they celebrate controlling personality!  

Come Fly With Me...banned. Mentions booze, isolation and inappropriate touching.  

I generally only listen to classical music but Frank was much loved by my parents. Dread to think how appalled they'd be. 

• Like 1

My Way.......great song written by Paul Anka........but Frank's version was the one,,,mind you think you right Phil ref' having it at your funeral,, defo Naffo''..............just watched Sinatra's last interview 1988 on u tube with Larry King,, was always fascinated by the ''Rat pack''..................

• Like 1
On 12/3/2018 at 11:23 PM, MargieH said:

I couldn't remember all the words to that song, so I looked up the lyrics, and I reckon they are a bit suspect!

... the bloke IS being overly persuasive!  When I used to listen to it, I suppose I just never noticed the words particularly

Hi Margie.  This is what I was trying to post when the site went a bit 'off' last Weds.

I really don't think that 'Baby It's Cold Outside' is anything more than a mildly comic song. It was, after all, written by a married couple.

I reckon that it is about mutual seduction.  You have to think about the context and times it was written in. It was written in 1944 by Frank Loesser and his wife, and performed by them.

From Wikipaedia: 

"Baby, It's Cold Outside" is a popular song written by Frank Loesser in 1944. It is a call and response duet in which a host, performed by a male voice, tries to convince a guest, performed by a female voice, that she should stay the evening because the weather is cold and the trip home would be difficult. While the lyrics make no mention of any holiday, it is popularly regarded as a Christmas song due to its winter theme. It was recently banned from most radio stations though because they thought it contained manipulation/date rape.

Loesser wrote the song for his wife and himself to perform at parties. He sold the song to MGM, which used it for the 1949 film Neptune's Daughter. It was sung by Esther Williams and Ricardo Montalbán, and Betty Garrett and Red Skelton, and won the Academy Award. Since 1949 it has been covered by many singers, including Ray Charles, Michael Bublé, Tom Jones, and Dolly Parton.

If you examine the lyrics.. and continue to listen in the context of 1944... The man is clearly trying to get her to stay and using every reason he can come up with. But.. he isn't making her stay.  The girl is saying all of the 'right things'. All of the things that social norms would dictate that she should say back then.. But she is free to leave.

"Baby, It's Cold Outside"

I really can't stay - Baby it's cold outside
I've got to go away - Baby it's cold outside
This evening has been - Been hoping that you'd drop in
So very nice - I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice

My mother will start to worry - Beautiful, what's your hurry?
Father will be pacing the floor - Listen to the fireplace roar
So really I'd better scurry - Beautiful, please don't hurry
Maybe just a half a drink more - Put some records on while I pour

The neighbors might think - Baby, it's bad out there
Say, what's in this drink? - No cabs to be had out there
I wish I knew how - Your eyes are like starlight now
To break this spell - I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell

I ought to say no, no, no - Mind if I move in closer?
At least I'm gonna say that I tried - What's the sense in hurting my pride?
I really can't stay - Baby don't hold out
Ah, but it's cold outside

I've got to get home - Oh, baby, you'll freeze out there
Say, lend me your coat - It's up to your knees out there
You've really been grand - Thrill when you touch my hand
Why don't you see - How can you do this thing to me?

There's bound to be talk tomorrow - Think of my life long sorrow
At least there will be plenty implied - If you caught pneumonia and died
I really can't stay - Get over that hold out
Ah, but it's cold outside
Oh, baby, it's cold outside
Oh, baby, it's cold outside

A lot hinges on who says what.. which isn't really clear in the lyrics above.  But  'What's in This Drink?' seems to be interpreted relative to modern 'date rape' drugs with no real evidence. Did they even exist in 1944?
Then she appears to say..'I ought to say No No No'. ' At least I can say that I tried.'  So she's admitting she 'ought to' say no, but she isn't saying no.   Which sounds to me like she's already decided and is looking for justification.

But. whatever.. It's an old song which some people have chosen to re-interpret 70+ years on.

I don't usually side with the 'anti PC/snowflake' crowd.. but I do on this one..

Col

Exactly Col. A song from 70 odd years ago has different meanings and connotations these days, as people have become more worldly and ambivalent to sexual references.

Look at some of the old Blues songs that were written in a similar era, and popularised during the British Blues Boom of the mid to late 60's. If one really delves into the lyrics, some are quite disgusting and with blatant references to sex, but years ago, people were more innocent and just took it as a bit of fun.

However, some very famous Soul singers in the 80-90's have made songs with sexual connotations, that I find quite offensive and unnecessary. 

Love songs, I like. Blatant sleaze, no !

Certainly agree with you on the blues stuff.  In fact as far as I know even the term 'Rock and Roll' has connotations which are 'not necessarily' to do with music.

A quick listen to 'Kitchen Man' by Bessie Smith is enlightening.  Elmore James songs such as 'Shake Your Moneymaker' which were heard by wider audiences as a result of Jeremy Spencer's part in the original Fleetwood Mac. Countless other examples.

• Upvote 1

Ciao Ciao Bambina

Domenico Modugno's song is really beautiful as are all of his songs The title of the song is actually "Piove" (rain /raining ) The beginning tells of violins playing in the wind and of the colours of the rainbow. He's asking for Just one more kiss before she leaves, as in the fairy stories everything must come to an end. which means that the rain always has to spoil the beautiful things. (Love) 

His songs always tell a lovely story.

The Ballad of Michael Barrett 

Not sure if this is in the right post 

It is a sad song also making part of history

The song is a tribute to Michael Barrett, the last innocent Irishman to be hanged in England in 1868. 

Wrongly convicted of the Clerkenwell bombing, this faithful Fenian  from Co. Fermanagh lived most of his life in  Glasgow,  Scotland. 

Michael Barrett was only 16 years of age.

• Like 1
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:42 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

According to the BBC news website Christmas songs such as Baby it's Cold Outside could be seen as offensive due to connotations of date rape and consideration should be given to not playing them on air.

Beam me up, Scotty. This planet has gone insane. Think I'll go and live in the funny farm...it'll be less stressful!

HO-HO HE-HE WHERE YOU CAN PLAY ALLDAY.

My Ding a Ling     by whoever 

This song must have been made up Saturday night in a pub, when some one had, had one to many.

• Like 1

Have a great Christmas IAN123

"Yes" I will see you at the Bxxxxxxx  brooze  up!  but don't hold your breath.

The way it's going we might stay with my brother in Germany and to  quote

Leonard Cohen's song 

"You Never Can Tell""

• Like 1

Not sure if this is a sick song or a sad song but the words and the meaning are great (well I think so any way)

"GRACE"

Joseph Plunkett was one of the leaders and signatories of the proclamation of Ireland's republic.

Being granted one last request by the English executioners, he asked if he could marry his childhood sweetheart Grace Gifford. They were married in the prison chapel. After she had been led away from the prison, she heard the shot that murdered her husband.

If you have never heard the song see if you can find it and listen to the words.

• Like 1

Any mention of IRA bombing campaigns on the UK mainland...... No ! Thought not.