Working Class Life 1940's, 50's.

Society has gone from one extreme to the other. In today's mamby pamby snowflake society many are still not satisfied with life, of course it's benefit Britain in 2018 t it's best / worst ? I want I'm entitled society. Give me the '50s any day.

• Like 1

That was really interesting, Michael.  Thanks for posting.  A lot of memories there, and the comments were interesting too.  We forget what good lives we actually have now.  A hot shower every morning.  No filling up and draining.  Constant comfortable temps summer and winter.  Refrigerators and ice makers.  The list is endless.  I'm glad that I grew up as this writer did though.  It gives a great appreciation for what we have now.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I have to agree with you Catfan how society has in attitudes has changed for the worse. But would I like to go back and live in the 50s, a big no. Cold houses ,ice on the insides of bedroom windows , lack of food and holes in my shoes not something I liked. 

What has happened to society I don't know, its something I dislike intensely. Our we as a generation, not as individuals responsible for it, in our struggle and efforts for improvements for all, have we allowed the next generation to go too far in what they see as rights, without any thought of responsibilities.

In writing this I am asking the question not stating a fact, as I just don't know, without knowing the reasons how can things be changed, as I am sure most of us would like the change and fast.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I would say that most of the problem lies with the fact that generations born since ours have never had the experiences of doing without, getting a back hander from a teacher, or living without a phone. As a result they see all of the luxuries that we enjoy today as a right rather than a blessing. Thus they don't appreciate them and are always whining for more.  Indulgent parents tend to give everything they want on the grounds that they deserve to have it better than we did.  The first time they don't get something they want there is trouble.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

It's the I,I,I, Me, Me, Me syndrome. I want EVERYTHING NOW, and F... anyone else.

Also there is a distinct lack of manners, diplomacy, discretion, and self respect. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Also there is a distinct lack of manners, diplomacy, discretion, and self respect. 

I have to agree with you on that ,but is it their fault in lacking these qualities , they should have been taught these by their parents , so they don't know any better and think it is normal.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, trogg said:

I have to agree with you on that ,but is it their fault in lacking these qualities , they should have been taught these by their parents , so they don't know any better and think it is normal.

And their parents may well be OUR children (or in that generation), so whose fault is it?  Just a thought...

• Like 3

I agree totally and don't like 21st century culture.

As a child, I had to earn my pocket money because I was told I would never appreciate things or learn the value of money unless I did. I can see, as an adult, how true this is.

My parents weren't wealthy but never bought anything unless they could afford to pay for it outright. They regarded credit as a slippery slope.

It is the way of things that nothing carries on improving forever. Eventually, there's a downturn. Our generation has, in many ways, been fortunate but still had to work and save hard for what we have acquired.

Look at antibiotics. We've abused an enormous benefit and now we face the stark reality of disease which doesn't respond to treatment. Could be that, due to our own greed, we as a race are going to reap the consequences of our actions. Bit more serious than where your next smart phone's coming from!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

There was a review on the front of our paper this morning about 'summer movies'  There was a picture of a 'family'. Silly looking mother A dad who is clearly a wimp, just from the photo it was obvious.  The son looked like he'd just finished playing a shootemup video game and the slutty looking daughters were rolling their eyes.  It would appear that the plot revolves around the parents trying to stop them having sex on graduation night.  Gimme a break!,. 

That at in a nutshell is very much the root of the problem.   I don't think I will be going to see it.  Problem is, what does it teach our kids?

No wonder they call it Hollywierd!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well it certainly ain't my fault ! I've ALWAYS strived for perfection in everything I've ever done, and I still abide by ethics  dad lived by.

All three of my girls have perfect manners, and are generous, hard working and caring. Yes, they've all made mistakes in their lives. Who hasn't ? 

There was only one guy who was totally perfect, and some bu66ers nailed him to a cross ! 

• Like 4

Re the antibiotics, Jill.  Nature has a way of correcting things.  The next epidemic could result in a big die off and a collapsed civilization.  A tin bath will then become a luxury again.  It wouldn't be the first time.

• Like 2

Folks, just do as I told loppy the other day. I can't post links, so Google the lyrics of Waiting For The Thunder by Blackberry Smoke. A Southern country rock group from Atlanta in loppy's neck of the woods. 

Sums it up in a way that is understood by me. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

Re the antibiotics, Jill.  Nature has a way of correcting things.  The next epidemic could result in a big die off and a collapsed civilization.  A tin bath will then become a luxury again.  It wouldn't be the first time.

nor the last. human nature is not a patch on Mother nature, sadly. Einstein was asked what weapons mankind would use for the third world war. His reply was "I do not know. But I know that world war four will be fought with bows and arrows" says a lot about the human race (and Einstein for that matter)

Still, it's Good Friday tomorrow, so enjoy your Easter! 

• Like 5

Yes, and it's also important to appreciate just what Easter represents. 

• Like 4

RE Troggs last post. In a way, it is their fault. What's wrong with always trying to better oneself and improve ones being.

I don't mean the constant quest for greediness,  superficial self adulation and self-centredness, which I'm afraid is most prevalent these days. Also, too many people strive to better themselves, solely by riding on the backs of others to their detriment. 

• Like 2

Re. my earlier post on overuse of antibiotics.  There are a number of other things that could reverse things overnight.  I heard of a book (I haven't read it) about the possibility of a dangerous solar flare.  One happened back in the 1800s.  Didn't bother most folks because there was no power grid or electronics.  It did damage the telegraph system in the USA and maybe elsewhere.  The  writer estimated that today such would be a catastrophe.  Power grid down.  The risk of nuclear power plant meltdowns. Millions dead due to anarchy lack of hospital care food scarcity etc.  Just in time food distribution would not work, supermarkets empty.  Little to no petrol / diesel available.  The list is endless.

I can almost imagine the whine the next day.   "Like! my mobile won't work.  Like, why is the tv broke?  My welfare check hasn't come.

I haven't had a bath for a week. No 'ot water.  It would be funny if it weren't so sad.  It could take years to correct even if anyone was available who knew how to do it.

• Like 1

I feel short changed, no bathroom, no fridge, no central heating, outside toilet, no telly or phone, this was the early 70s for me as a kid in Brixton Road Radford, I never knew any kid who's parents owned their own house, I never knew you could even buy your own house, my workmates found it funny that I did not no that Marks & Spencer's sold food (I was 40 at the time) after someone brought some M&S biscuits in for her Birthday, I thought they only sold underwear.  

• Like 6

There were no cars on our street, or Lake St. There was only the undertakers hearse. The hearse was used to take me to hospital when I was 8. A dart was stuck in the top of my head and I was a fountain of blood. My great granddaughter is always asking to see the hole in my head. Now just a small scar thankfully :biggrin: Tin baths, copper boilers, outside lav......normal.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Re tin bath: when we lived on Leak Road Gotham we had no bathroom, me being the youngest got to go first in the tin bath in front of the fire followed  by my older sister. One day after I'd finished I decided to wee in the bath. She caught me doing it & didn't want a bath anymore for some reason, & she then gave me a biffing. After that she'd watch me like a hawk to make sure I didn't wee in her bath water again; what a spoilsport... :):) 

• Like 6