Working Class Life 1940's, 50's.

We were quite lucky, I suppose. We had a plumbed-in bath and an indoor lavvie. Different to my two grannies: paternal granny lived on Occupation Rd, Hucknall - no electricity so entirely powered by gas and an outside lavvie at the bottom of the garden with a bogey-hole next door to that wherein was kept the tin bath and various items of rubbish. She did have a gas cooker but this was only rarely used, she much preferred the coal-fired range.

Maternal granny lived at Rempstone - no lavvie at all but she did have a converted pigsty down the garden with a wooden board over a hole in the ground. By some, to me, magical process the hole never filled up. I hated that thing as I always imagined I would fall in. She did have mains electricity but, for a long time in my memory, it was DC - which gave some spectacular displays of sparks on the relatively rare occasions there was any power coming through. There was no bath - not even a tin one so when we stayed with granny (which was quite often) it was a stand-up "cat-lick" in a washing-up bowl in water collected from the village pump (or grannies "special soft water" which was rainwater collected from the roof drain pipes into a water butt). The water was heated in a wood-firedĀ copper in the kitchen (which sat next to the wood-fired cooking range).

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1