To quote NBL: Bordeaux mixture of exactly that formula was banned by the EU November 2015

Ok no worries. Here is how to make your own. (I have scaled mine down to suit my needs. Hydrated lime is available from B&Q; there is no need to "Slake" hydrated lime):

40421460144_e6f2c9acaa_b.jpg

• Like 1

An alternative to Bordeaux mixture is Burgundy Mixture.  Apparently, acid in the atmosphere in polluted towns can aadversely affect Bordeaux mixture and one of my books suggests Burgundy mixture as an alternative.

Burgundy Mixture:

Formula:

8oz copper Sulphate, 10oz washing soda, 5 gallons water.

Method:

Dissolve Copper Sulphate in 4 galls water and washing soda in 1 gall.  Pour washing soda solution slowly into Copper Sulphate solution, stirring continuosly. Use at once. [The book recommends the use of wooden or enamel vessels but I reckon that modern plastics should do the job just as well.]

• Like 1
3 hours ago, IAN123. said:

These old tips and tricks are brilliant..

Reading some old pages from Mapperley Man..think there is a Mapperley in Derbyshire??

Yes. Couple of miles out from Ilkeston, a small village.

In my late teens I had to cut down the landlady of one of the two pubs there, The Candlesticks, who’d hanged herself.

• Like 2

Ian 123 said "... diluted soapy water? To stop insects."

============================================================

Here's one they can't stop you fro using and it's easy to prepare....

Paraffin emulsion:

For use as a repellant, especially against vegetable pests. 

Paraffin - 1 pint

Soap - 1lb

Water - 1 gallon

Dissolve the soap in water after warming it, then slowly churn in the paraffin.  Thorough emulsificiation may be obtained by means of a syringe. Bottle the stock solution off. For use, take one part of emulsion to from 10 to 20 parts of water, according to the hardiness of the pants to be treated. [Source: The New illustrated Gardening Encyclopedia Richard Sudell F.I.L.A. A.R.H.S.  1920.]

I have used this successfully against greenfly on a number of occasions.

• Like 1

Works on Gooseberry & currant sawfly too, Ian. spray as soon as you see the little grubbies.

• Like 1