DJ360's new camera

Good day today.

I realised recently that one of my favourite occupations.. photography.. has suffered because I can no longer be bothered lugging a DSLR and a great bag of lenses about..  So I've been scheming for some time to get a nice new compact camera.  Went to Liverpool today and fell in love with.. Canon G1X MkIII.  It's a peach..  I'm almost certainly going back to buy one tomorrow. Yer can't tekkit wiyyer Youth!!

Dropped into the Cavern but it was totally rammed with international tourists and Easter Holiday kids..  So I left..  Maybe go back after the hols..  :)

Col

• Like 1

Look forward to you posting some pictures taken with your new camera Col,

Rog

I use a Panasonic Lumix FZ48 bridging camera and an old Fujifilm Q1 digital

Hi Rog,

My DSLR is a Canon 450D with a clutch of lenses. I can get nice shots, but it is a heavy load, which these days only gets out for specifically photographic trips.

There are loads of really good 'Compact System Cameras', or mirrorless cameras about, but I've decided they too are too bulky overall for what I'm, looking for and not 'pocketable' unless you are a Poacher.. ;)

The little Sony RX100 is tiny and very technically advanced, but very difficult to hold and use.

So, I think I'll get this little Canon.  I like the feel of it and it is just about pocketable ( in a coat) or wouldn't be much of a burden on a neck or wrist strap.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-powershot-g1-x-mark-iii-digital-camera-1642140/?mkwid=sv6eIRXHy_dc&pcrid=227175425204&kword=&match=&plid=&product=1642140&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_Ziv3NyO2gIVhxwbCh2uhgDbEAQYAiABEgJ4XfD_BwE

Still need to check out a couple more competitors, (  Lumix LX100 for e.g.) but I think I'm pretty much set on the Canon.

Col

• Like 1

Ian, Mick,Here's a couple of pics of my little Q1 digital camera,I've put a AA battery at the side for scale, I've had this for about 16/17 years and it's a great little camera,both for stills and video,shame they're not made any more

P1060490.jpg

P1060491.jpg

Rog

• Like 3
13 hours ago, catfan said:

I went the compact route a few years ago & never regretted it either. Also a Lumix fan have got a LX5, LX7 &  TZ100, the new new TZ200 is released any time soon but I think I'll stay as I am for a while !

https://www.jessops.com/c/p/cameras/compacts/panasonic/tz200

I went back today ( before reading your post) determined not to let my heart rule my head.  If funds were unlimited I'd buy that Canon at around £1100 and just use it when I could because it is so nice.  Also has a very good viewfinder.. even with my specs on.

But I decided it was just that little bit too bulky.  Had a good look at the Panasonic LX100, but also too big.

Finally went for a TZ200 and saved about £300 c.f. the Canon.  Fired off a couple of indoor/electric light/no flash/full auto shots and was very impressed.  The rest of the functions are going to take me some time to get used to, but I think I made the right choice. 

Annoyingly, the deal incuded a 'free' leather case, but I have to jump through hoops and wait a couple of months to get it.. so I'll have to buy a cheap Lowepro bag or summat in the meantime.  why don't they just give you the 'beep' case?

Col

10 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Annoyingly, the deal incuded a 'free' leather case, but I have to jump through hoops and wait a couple of months to get it.. so I'll have to buy a cheap Lowepro bag or summat in the meantime.  why don't they just give you the 'beep' case?

Col

I had the same thing when I bought my LX7, free battery worth £52, not to be sniffed at but worth the hassle !

Do use a UHS type memory card (pref Sandisk) if you mess about with 4K, & you will ! Bearing in mind that 4K memory files are massive.

Enjoy your new toy.

I just need to convince Mrs C we need a new TZ200 now !

• Like 2

Mike, if you can convince Sue, I'd have a look at the Canon too.  It only does 1080 video but has a full APS-C sensor and zoom lens. It looks great, feels really nice to handle and the VF is fab.  Just not quite as pocketable as the TZ-200.

(But then I suppose if you can afford it you've already got big pockets...  :laugh:..)

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-powershot-g1-x-mark-iii-digital-camera-1642140/?mkwid=sv6eIRXHy_dc&pcrid=227175425204&kword=&match=&plid=&product=1642140&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI07Kyo6KR2gIVTTwbCh2oiwueEAQYBCABEgKVVfD_BwE

Col

Never been a Canon fan, I went from Nikon to Panasonic & was a bit wary at the time thinking that Panasonic just made radio cassette players ! however never looked back & never had any problem with any of them, my first being a LX2 which my lad still uses.

I never bother taking 4K video due to the massive file sizes but 4K has a use for 4K stills which are very impressive in reality they are frames taken from a short 4K video at 30 FPS.

One from your back yard, Albert Docks 2016. 4K grab.

P1030293_zpsktzcimjz.jpg

• Like 3
12 hours ago, catfan said:

Never been a Canon fan, I went from Nikon to Panasonic & was a bit wary at the time thinking that Panasonic just made radio cassette players !

I've been impressed with Panasonic since I bought my first VHS player in that brand.  Since then have had a few more and a couple of DVD players.  Also have a Panasonic Smart telly.  They seem to know their way around all sorts of imaging tech.

• Like 1

First few pics out of my new camera.  No editing.. just straight jpegs.

40239119165_59623560b4_c.jpg

41090954062_415ff6e300_c.jpg

40239126535_afba29ffc2_c.jpg

41134283741_9f66fc4a51_c.jpg

• Like 2

I saw some 35mm colour print film in Wal Mart the other day. I almost bought some to use in my old Canon Ftb which I still have.  They were only selling it in packs of three though.  I loved that old Canon.

Thanks all.  Just waiting for something other than a grey overcast day now...    :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2018 at 12:23 AM, DJ360 said:

The rest of the functions are going to take me some time to get used to...

Blood-ee-hell, Col!!

Been thinking about getting a TZ200 myself so I downloaded the user guide to have a look. It’s a computer!  It’d take me months to understand all those functions. What a camera! Can’t wait to get one. 

Keep us posted on your progress!

I walked into Jessops a couple of weeks ago to buy a TZ200 but at the last moment I decided not to & save mesen £700 + notes.

There is not enough difference between the TZ100 & TZ200 to justify the cost so I'll get more use out of the TZ100 first !

• Upvote 1

I can understand that Mike, ..but if you were out looking for your first decent compact... ?

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2018 at 12:23 AM, DJ360 said:

I went back today ( before reading your post) determined not to let my heart rule my head.  If funds were unlimited I'd buy that Canon at around £1100 and just use it when I could because it is so nice.  Also has a very good viewfinder.. even with my specs on.

But I decided it was just that little bit too bulky.  Had a good look at the Panasonic LX100, but also too big.

Finally went for a TZ200 and saved about £300 c.f. the Canon.  Fired off a couple of indoor/electric light/no flash/full auto shots and was very impressed.  The rest of the functions are going to take me some time to get used to, but I think I made the right choice. 

Col

I'm still waiting for my 'Free' camera case from Panasonic and getting increasingly annoyed.  Offering a supposed 'Free Gift' as an inducement to purchase, and then making punters wait more than 3 months and have to make numerous phone calls and jump through other hoops to get it, seems to me to be either fraudulent, or deliberately designed to make people give up.  I am not pleased. Here's what I just posted on another site:

Right .... [RantModeOn] The offer of 70 quid's worth of rather nice looking 'free' leather case to go with this not cheap compact, was part of what swung the deal for me. So, I was less than impressed when it turned out I had to wait 35 days from purchase before I could even apply for this 'free gift'. None of this was made clear as part of the deal, or by the retailer. So, as soon as they deigned to allow me, I applied for my 'free gift'. This involved uploading pics of both the dealer receipt and the label from the camera box to the Panasonic website.
Next.. 'wait the 'estimated' 28 days for delivery.' So, on day 29 I called Panasonic. Apparently they have my claim and all is in order.. but.. they have been out of stock on the Camera Case.. though the operative I spoke to thought a delivery had recenty arrived, and I should get my 'gift' by the 'middle of next week'.. This not having occurred, I called Panasonic again yesterday and was informed that all of those responsible for fufilling my 'gift' entitlement, were 'in meetings'. So, 'Sue from Panasonic' undertook to email them and then call me next Monday to indicate the outcome of her endeavours on my behalf.

I pointed out politely and calmly to 'Sue at Panasonic' that whilst I attached no personal blame to her for my lack of a Camera Case, I was very much less than happy with Panasonic and was beginning to consider that their as yet unfulfilled offer of a 'Free Gift' as an inducement to purchase,especially in light of the 'hoop jumping' required, might reasonably be seen as deception, or fraud. I also queried whether, were I a dealer seeking stock of the case for sale, I would have to endure a similar wait?
[/RantModeOff]

I await the outcome with interest. I will also be making Wilkinson Cameras of Liverpool, (who have been otherwise excellent dealers) very aware of how poorly this whole charade reflects upon them, though not their fault.

Seething...

Well yes...  Although I'm annoyed, I'm still fairly confident that it will show up eventually.  The thing is, in order to keep the camera in good condition, I've already had to buy a cheap camera case while I wait for my camera case... :angry2: