Nottm At War 1939-1945.

A series of photographs documenting the County during WW2.60592.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpgStaff and nurses from Vale Brook Lodge and City Hospital fill sandbags..just off Hucknall rd.after war was declared.60581.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpgThis poiceman takes the hand of a child who has been evacuated to Nottingham..pictured in 1940 at the bus station60582.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpg.Bombed out children arrive at Bingham Station to be billeted safely.

• Like 4
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Phil, Ecumenism is generally defined as unity between the various denominations of the Christian faith.  This doesn't mean that there shouldn't be dialogue with those of different faiths, which I pers

A series of photographs documenting the County during WW2.Staff and nurses from Vale Brook Lodge and City Hospital fill sandbags..just off Hucknall rd.after war was declared.This poiceman takes the ha

And 70 years since the day I came into this crazy World.

No, St. Christopher’s is still C of E. It may be evangelistic reflecting the ethnicity of the locals, although the Sneinton Dale area used to have a large Italian population so there must be a Catholic Church nearby. 

I’ve just checked and they now share it with the Catholics and have a Sunday Mass. Ecumenicalism is a way to fill empty seats apparently!

That explains it then phil . Had just left a lady friends house on St.Christopher St.after a heavy session and a bad bonce...talk about juxta....drifting across Colwick road the serene singing and me limping towards Sneinton mkt for a £5 breakfast to get some soakage!

58 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve just checked and they now share it with the Catholics and have a Sunday Mass. Ecumenicalism is a way to fill empty seats apparently!

Ecumenism is about working together with other Christian denominations, not about filling seats!   And actually,  there is only one Church, made up of PEOPLE (not buildings) .... one body of people with Jesus Christ as their head.   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Phil, Ecumenism is generally defined as unity between the various denominations of the Christian faith.  This doesn't mean that there shouldn't be dialogue with those of different faiths, which I personally believe is a good thing, but it isn't ecumenism.

As I said previously,  'The Church' isn't a building; it's the PEOPLE who are the Church.  For me, the church building is just a place to meet together - And I don't believe that God is only present in a church building!  I can really appreciate the architecture of a church building and the memories in can sometimes invoke, but the Church is a living breathing body of people with Jesus Christ as its head.  

I'm not going to  say any more on this - and if this post is reported, or the mods decide that it is too controversial, then so be it... I'm not going to have a hissy fit if it's deleted ...  xx

• Like 5

The singing is very nice..my friends house is right behind the Church .and last time...even though hung over i listened to the Gospel singing whilst out on the deck.

I seldom go to mass anymore...i pray when i feel like it..and often light a candle for a particular person or purpose.

Many of the churchgoers here are -cliqeuy and look down there noses..

Whatever the denomination...no matter ..peace & love.

Ian,  I think it's very sad when 'churchgoers' don't live their lives by the gospel they purport to believe.   I know that no-one is perfect, but a Christian SHOULD try to live a life which is worthy of their beliefs.  I'm NOT saying that we must never  'fall short' to be accepted by God (the problem of our sin/failings has already been dealt with when Jesus died for us) but if a Christian doesn't even TRY and reflect the teachings of Jesus, then ......

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Can we please put religion with politics and ban it from the forum?

Seems to me you brought it up mate!   All that was being discussed was different church buildings.  That is no more religion than discussing different pubs.  They are just buildings for crying out loud.

5 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Yes, just buildings. We’ve got around six of them in the surrounding villages and just one vicar who lives alone in a large family house. Not much religion around here.

You should be happy then!

10 hours ago, IAN123. said:

1945.mass at St.Christophers Church Colwick rd. It was later restored to how it looks today.

I've listed this before but the Padre in that photo officiated at my parents' wedding in 1949 when he was vicar of St Peter's Old Radford. I believe he also married CT's parents. He was RAF Padre Ralph.

• Like 1

Me mam was in the land army but from what she told me farmers didn't treat them very well. At one point they threatened to walk off the farm, she didn't say why.

Ian my mother was at that Bairnswear event though I can't make her out in the picture. I reckon your right about the chimney to, it's certainly in the right direction as in the background is the cemetery on the other side of Perry road.

In the 50s I played in the abandoned ARP post and the air raid shelter corner of Nottingham road and Lortas road, that place was every thing to us kids from a WW11 dugout to a wild west fort, with home made wooden guns of course.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Before he joined the RAF my dad worked on nights at the Guardian Journal newspaper office. When war broke out they used to have to take turns turning on the hose pipe on the roof to check it in case of bombing/fire. One time when it was his turn my dad sprayed the water over the roof and down into the street. Later that night he heard that some "ladies of the night" had been into the front office complaining that someone had p....... on them from the roof! Dad and his friends had a good laugh!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
On 04/04/2018 at 10:26 AM, LizzieM said:

Posting this photo again as it was probably lost when Photobucket bullied us.

My Mum is there with her brother in the Old Market Square, celebrating VE Day.  

AFFA100_C-976_E-4491-87_B3-5_A3_F23_A221

Determined to get this photo back on Nottstalgia!

586_B980_E-329_C-4853-_ADB0-6_BC9_FAD46_

• Like 2