IAN123.

Nottm At War 1939-1945.

Before he joined the RAF my dad worked on nights at the Guardian Journal newspaper office. When war broke out they used to have to take turns turning on the hose pipe on the roof to check it in case of bombing/fire. One time when it was his turn my dad sprayed the water over the roof and down into the street. Later that night he heard that some "ladies of the night" had been into the front office complaining that someone had p....... on them from the roof! Dad and his friends had a good laugh!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 04/04/2018 at 10:26 AM, LizzieM said:

Posting this photo again as it was probably lost when Photobucket bullied us.

My Mum is there with her brother in the Old Market Square, celebrating VE Day.  

AFFA100_C-976_E-4491-87_B3-5_A3_F23_A221

Determined to get this photo back on Nottstalgia!

586_B980_E-329_C-4853-_ADB0-6_BC9_FAD46_

• Like 1

On 04/04/2018 at 10:55 PM, Brew said:

Me mam was in the land army but from what she told me farmers didn't treat them very well. At one point they threatened to walk off the farm, she didn't say why.

Both Mum and Aunty worked at the local power station during the war, somewhere there is a photograph of them in overalls and hair tied up turban style. On their way to work they had to pass through a tunnel called  "dead man's arch"  they would stand at one end and shout, if no one answered they would run like hell.

• Like 1

I worked with a bloke that went down Clifton Pit...instead of active service..said he'd rather have been at the front!

Every section of the population made huge sacrifices when you think about it.

• Like 2

3 hospital based photos, The General Hospital became part of the National Emergency Network and extensions were made in 1943.

The Lord Mayor visits the injured at the Lister Ward.

Land Army girls tend the farm that was introduced for the war effort at the City Hospital.

Additional wards added to cope with injured soldiers, if you look at the buildings on The Ropewalk, Standard Hill and Postern St. Plus the Nurses building near the Castle...that's why I have a bee in my bonnet about the state of graves in the rock cemetery... these prominent Nottm people provided for our injured men & women of both wars and should have their places of rest treated better!

• Like 2

Children at Huntington St bus Station arrive to be billeted in a safer Nottm home.1942.60581.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpg

• Like 3