IAN123.

Nottm At War 1939-1945.

Bomb crater on Trent Lane after the air raid.trent-lane-sneinton.jpgBomb damage to Hutton St.hutton-street.jpg

• Like 1

Ladies in April 1945 working on Sherman tanks at Chilwell Depot.the-british-army-in-the-united-kingdom-1

The army needed them too. According to David Rinder during the battle for Normandy the battle group he was with needed over a 1000 replacements to keep 180 tanks in the front line.

Recently Col a lot of WW2 Chilwell and Notts pics have been released.

60587.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgNottmRd/ Hadyn Rd area.Bairnswear donate a Tea canteen van to YMCA to help with the war effort...1940s.

I got the facts wrong. During the battle for Normandy David Rinder was actually with a brigade of 3 tank regiments each regiment fielding 50 tanks and they needed 1073 replacement tanks just to keep 150 in the front line, Rinder himself had 3 shot out from under him. Not that he took the record Major Stanley Christopherson colonel to be came out of 5 in one day in the desert campaign.

• Like 1

Had a shock today.

I was sat talking to my 15 year old granddaughter and she asked me about the book I was reading, I explained it was about the battle for Normandy in WW11 starting at D-Day.

"D-Day" she asked, "yes" I said "The great invasion the led to the defeat of Germany in WW11, don't you do history?"

"Oh yes" she says "We have just done WW11 from the .........................German perspective" You can imagine the discussion we had over the next hour, talk about twisting history.

Pass me the gun....................

• Like 2