IAN123.

Nottm At War 1939-1945.

The army needed them too. According to David Rinder during the battle for Normandy the battle group he was with needed over a 1000 replacements to keep 180 tanks in the front line.

60587.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgNottmRd/ Hadyn Rd area.Bairnswear donate a Tea canteen van to YMCA to help with the war effort...1940s.

I got the facts wrong. During the battle for Normandy David Rinder was actually with a brigade of 3 tank regiments each regiment fielding 50 tanks and they needed 1073 replacement tanks just to keep 150 in the front line, Rinder himself had 3 shot out from under him. Not that he took the record Major Stanley Christopherson colonel to be came out of 5 in one day in the desert campaign.

• Like 1

Had a shock today.

I was sat talking to my 15 year old granddaughter and she asked me about the book I was reading, I explained it was about the battle for Normandy in WW11 starting at D-Day.

"D-Day" she asked, "yes" I said "The great invasion the led to the defeat of Germany in WW11, don't you do history?"

"Oh yes" she says "We have just done WW11 from the .........................German perspective" You can imagine the discussion we had over the next hour, talk about twisting history.

Pass me the gun....................

• Like 2

Yikes!..most of the images are missing..some repair work is much needed here....i do recall seeing even in my childhood gaps and studs where railings once stood- but cut and used for the war effort...wonder how much of it was replaced in the 1950's?

That last picture reminded me of this one I took a couple of years ago at East Kirkby

2009_1012Octoberaviation090021.jpg

Rog

8818770-orig.jpgRepairs to mains after bombing on Ennerdale Rd.Daybrook.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Repairs to mains after bombing on Ennerdale Rd.Daybrook.

Would they have been trying to target something in Daybrook, if so what? A hit on the Home brewery site would have damaged morale but were they just badly aimed or jettisoned bombs

• Like 1

I wonder Oz...some Home Ales drinkers would have liked Shippo's to get a hit??

Sadly jettisoned bombs is what killed Glenn Miller.

I thought Glenn Miller and his aircraft was lost in bad weather over the English channel on his way to entertain the US soldiers in France, was/is it true he was on Hitlers kidnap list?

Rog

Just Google it. The bombing and kidnapping are just urban myths from what I've read,,

From what i have read Rog..a higher plane dumped unused bombs over the channel..sadly Glenns plane was lower and got walloped..and perished. Divers visited it 2 years ago and discovered the sad truth.

• Like 1

Another theory -- one that’s more widely accepted -- is that the plane Miller was flying in was destroyed by friendly fire. That theory was first proposed in the 1980s as intriguing evidence about the Norseman plane came to light. It was discovered that 138 planes returning from an aborted Allies bombing raid disposed of their bombs over the English Channel, and the theory is that one hit Miller's plane, causing it to crash.

Citing U.S. Army Air Force records, Spragg says the timing of when the planes were over the channel rules out that theory.

>
>
>
>Miller never arrived at his destination and traces of the Norseman and its passengers were never found.

Dennis Spragg, a senior consultant to the Glenn Miller Archive at the University of Colorado Boulder.

Interesting theories,does the official US records tie in with the British ones,theres a lot of conspiricy stuff about or is that people just out to make money out of non proven events

Rog

• Like 1

Indeed Rog..and his music still sounds fresh to this day.

A fave of mine...

• Like 2

Re. Hutton St. picture, I was late for school (Sneinton Blvd.) watching a body being carried from the debris!