• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've only just joined, so very late joining this discussion.   Taff Davies was still there when I attended. I saw quite a bit of him as, being somewhat lazy, there were quite a few occasions

The references to ‘posh’ Grammar Schools and High Pavement in particular I have found very interesting. @Beekay mentions that lots of the boys were from council estates Strelley, Bilborough etc. and B

An old classmate from High Pavement sent me this link to a YouTube video of scenes from HP in the 1960s. I think they are after 1965 when I left. They mostly show boys and staff around school on

In my memory, (which isn't always completely  accurate ) from the top floor of a bus, somewhere along Hucknall Road just after turning off Mansfield Rd heading towards Haydn Rd, the school could be seen, on the right hand side of a street on the left.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting re-acquaintance with this site. I was at HP between 1956 and 1963, 1c, 2a, Mod3a etc, and recall a lot of the masters already mentioned, Stan Middleton in particular. Crossland did RE, didn't he, and had served out in the middle east during either wartime or national service? Saayman's catch phrase was "is it hard to grasp, boy?", which was the origin of our schoolboy 'joke' "why is Eddie Saayman's maths like a greasy tit?" I've not seen mention of 'Jack' Train or Chick Farr, science and French respectively? There was a Tomkins, and definitely a Bonser, and a Russian? gymnast helping out in the gym. Don't remember Albert Brown and his pot leg, but maybe he kept it up his sleeve.

Would love to see the school photo from this era; I didn't bother to get one.