yes Col he is same age as myself ...in fact only 9 months difference.............so he must have been at the Henry Whipple school Huts at the same time as myself......its a wonder i don't recall him....especially with his sporting background...........i came second once in an 80 yard sprint at Whipple...must have been him that beat me...........lol

• Like 1
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've only just joined, so very late joining this discussion.   Taff Davies was still there when I attended. I saw quite a bit of him as, being somewhat lazy, there were quite a few occasions

The references to ‘posh’ Grammar Schools and High Pavement in particular I have found very interesting. @Beekay mentions that lots of the boys were from council estates Strelley, Bilborough etc. and B

An old classmate from High Pavement sent me this link to a YouTube video of scenes from HP in the 1960s. I think they are after 1965 when I left. They mostly show boys and staff around school on

My next door but one, Geoffrey Cousins, went to H.P. I reckon he would start Sept 57. Was Bestwood campus open then? I have no idea how he got to Bestwood from Amesbury Circus?  Perhaps he cycled, but dodgy in winter!

1 hour ago, katyjay said:

My next door but one, Geoffrey Cousins, went to H.P. I reckon he would start Sept 57. Was Bestwood campus open then? I have no idea how he got to Bestwood from Amesbury Circus?  Perhaps he cycled, but dodgy in winter!

@Katy. My copy of High Pavement Remembered states that the move from Stanley Road took place in 1955, so the Bestwood site would certainly be open in 1957. From Amesbury, I'd guess your neighbour cycled along Stockhill etc down to Basford Crossings, then straight over and up Southwark Street to Arnold Road and the back entrance to the school via path up the side of the playing fields. I've no idea what bus routes would have been possible.

P.S. Loads of us cycled to school. I often walked, but I also cycled. You had to have a cycle permit issued by the school and there were sizeable bike sheds. There were periodic inspections of bikes and if yours failed, you would find it locked into the tennis courts and only get it back once you'd been lectured on safety and ordered to fix it.

Don't recall any Manning girls coming to school on bikes, although there was bike storage at the rear of the building. One sixth former had a car! Daddy must have been flush. It didn't sit well with some of the staff, many of whom couldn't afford one.

I cycled to school when I missed the bus occasionally.  We were a co-ed school so  I understand the ‘bike sheds’ were used for liaisons at break times (not me, though - I used to either play snobs or do some knitting …., true!)

I learned a little bit about 'classy' bikes in our bike sheds. Names such as Claude Butler, Uppadyne, Dawes, Freddie Grubb etc , alongside all the more common Raleigh, Rudge,, Triumph, BSA etc. Didn't help me though..I still ended up riding my hand painted mongrel based around a Raleigh Lenton Sports with scrounged up bits.   ....

My father attended High Pavement. It was then at the Stanley Road site of course, in the same buildings that I later went to as Forest Fields GS. I remember him being with me at the school one time for some reason and he was looking up. He was reminiscing and told me he was on the exact spot he was many years ago when they were all allowed out class  to watch the wonder of the age, the R101 airship fly over. I have one of those framed very long panoramic photos of the whole school taken in the yard with my father on it. By coincidence one of my aunts is also on the photo. She was completely unknown to my father at the time but in the years to come married my mums brother. I’m sure my father told me that he used to occasionally go to some sort of annex of the school situated on High Pavement in the city. 
incidentally DJ Col. Nothing wrong with your Raleigh Lenton Sport. 531 tubing and a fine machine although it sounds like it had seen better days. Far superior to my gas pipe Raleigh which I cycled everywhere on. My dream was a Raleigh Record Ace which is similar to your Lenton. I’ve since owned several Raleigh Record Aces and ridden them thousands of miles. Without doubt the nicest bikes I’ve ever ridden and I’ve had some exotic stuff. I still have several bikes, all Raleigh’s stored in the garage loft but alas, can no longer ride. 

• Like 1

Letsavagoo,

My dad (1915-2004) attended Stanley Rd Junior Boys until around 1926 when he passed the Nottingham High School entrance examination. Sadly his parents were unable to afford his uniform so he attended High Pavement instead.

He told me about the swimming pool under the school but little else. I know HP was mixed in it's early years and there was a girls entrance on the left as you look at the school but I until I read your post I always thought it was all boys when my dad attended.

I also attended Forest Fields Grammar 1961-66 by which time the subterranean swimming pool had become the boys changing rooms.

I would love to see the HP school photo you have with your dad on. It probably has my dad on it too. I believe he left around 1930 as a 14 year old.

I’ve discovered the R101 flew over Nottingham on 18th October 1929 so it's highly likely he was at HP the same time as your dad.

BTW have you joined the Forest Fields Grammar School group on Facebook? Check it out if you haven't. There's some great posts and photos.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, MargieH said:

I cycled to school when I missed the bus occasionally.  We were a co-ed school so  I understand the ‘bike sheds’ were used for liaisons at break times (not me, though - I used to either play snobs or do some knitting …., true!)

Of course, you did Margie, who would dare to contradict you!

@Alpha  It really is true!  My close friends were just the same - snobs and knitting with the occasional game of Bridge.   Other ‘not so close’ friends were more interested in the bike sheds…

• Like 1

The establishment I attended was decidedly not coed but the toilets were patrolled constantly at break and lunchtimes by, among others, Pickleface, who were looking to see how many feet they could see under the cubicle doors. I kid you not! If they spotted more than two, the miscreants were ordered out immediately with a loud knock on the door.  The older staff were not keen on 'particular friends' as they termed it. I didn't even have a clue what that meant!  Rarely went near the loos. They were awful!

Ironically, down at Noel Street swimming baths, we all shared cubicles in twos and they didn't seem to mind that!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Early on in this forum (April 2021) , lots of teachers were mentioned and Mr King asked if anybody knew the name of a Physics teacher who taught calculus. I believe this was Eddy ( Isaiah ) Saaymans. Yes, one of his eyes was etc.

Rumour had it that in his younger days he was an Olympic standard sprinter representing South Africa. He taught me physics for two years and seemed to possess eyes in the back of his head. On numerous occasions when he was facing the blackboard there would be a “take a detention, boy” catching someone misbehaving behind him. I believe he held the School record for giving Detentions.

Cliff, I think you may have been overly enthralled  by the 'Seebackroscope', sold by the purveyors of jokes and other tat, who advertised in the back of Comics.. were they called Ellisons, Ellisdon or similar?

The references to ‘posh’ Grammar Schools and High Pavement in particular I have found very interesting. @Beekay mentions that lots of the boys were from council estates Strelley, Bilborough etc. and Bulwell, but quite a few were from Radford and Hyson Green.

Our HP under 15 Rugby team at that time provided about 9 of the 15 members of the Nottingham Schoolboys Under 15 Team and we saw what ‘Posh’ was when the Nottingham team played a match at a Public School somewhere near Clumber Park. I cannot remember its name. A lot of the pupils came to watch the match, which we lost. The enormous changing room had 20 roll top individual baths! After the match we were served sausage and mash in a splendid dining room by members of the School. A few weeks later we experienced the other side when the HP team played at Lowdham Grange Borstal. That was a real physical battle as the inmates battered the ‘Posh’ Grammar School boys. We did win though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I've been trying to remember the name of a small private school just off Hucknall Rd, just after its junction with Mansfield Road    I think it was Waverley School. I recall the pupils having very stripey blazers. Anyone else recall it?

I recollect it as latterly being on Mansfield Rd. where Mountford House school now is, next to the Peugeot dealership. That would have  been in the 60’s. A large white house approached up a flight of steps. Maybe they moved from Hamilton Rd. which was behind and across Hucknall Rd.