• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The references to ‘posh’ Grammar Schools and High Pavement in particular I have found very interesting. @Beekay mentions that lots of the boys were from council estates Strelley, Bilborough etc. and B

I've only just joined, so very late joining this discussion.   Taff Davies was still there when I attended. I saw quite a bit of him as, being somewhat lazy, there were quite a few occasions

An old classmate from High Pavement sent me this link to a YouTube video of scenes from HP in the 1960s. I think they are after 1965 when I left. They mostly show boys and staff around school on

In my memory, (which isn't always completely  accurate ) from the top floor of a bus, somewhere along Hucknall Road just after turning off Mansfield Rd heading towards Haydn Rd, the school could be seen, on the right hand side of a street on the left.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting re-acquaintance with this site. I was at HP between 1956 and 1963, 1c, 2a, Mod3a etc, and recall a lot of the masters already mentioned, Stan Middleton in particular. Crossland did RE, didn't he, and had served out in the middle east during either wartime or national service? Saayman's catch phrase was "is it hard to grasp, boy?", which was the origin of our schoolboy 'joke' "why is Eddie Saayman's maths like a greasy tit?" I've not seen mention of 'Jack' Train or Chick Farr, science and French respectively? There was a Tomkins, and definitely a Bonser, and a Russian? gymnast helping out in the gym. Don't remember Albert Brown and his pot leg, but maybe he kept it up his sleeve.

Would love to see the school photo from this era; I didn't bother to get one.

• 1 year later...
On 11/18/2022 at 10:27 PM, DJ360 said:

An old classmate from High Pavement sent me this link to a YouTube video of scenes from HP in the 1960s.

I think they are after 1965 when I left. They mostly show boys and staff around school on the Bestwood Estate site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49olhvRnEZs

Brilliant video Col..................I lived on Bestwood est but didnt go to High Pavement......didnt fail the exam just didnt take it.......might have failed who knows.........

Anyway the site on this film has so many special memories for me............Especially if you go to 2min 37 seconds..............where you can see my original classes IE...the Wooden Huts.... i was there in 1950 a few years (6 i think) before High Pavement was built.......reckon the Huts lasted several years in the High Pavement grounds.......its made my day seeing those old Huts.....Mrs Taylor was my 1st Teacher in Hut one...........

• Like 1

It's surprising how many schools had those huts in use as classrooms. I spent two terms in one at Berridge while building work was being undertaken in the main school. I don't recall there being any heating in there, either.  Spent a lot of time in English lessons in the North East Hut at Manning. That was asbestos (!!) with a corrugated roof. Warm in there, though, thanks to a potbellied coke stove that spat red hot bits of coke at us. Can't see that being permitted today. How did we survive?

Thanks Paul,

I think I may have posted sometime in the past, that the Huts, of which I think there were 3.. continued in use throughout my time HP, (1960-1965) As far as I know they continued beyond too. They were mostly used as Sports changing huts, but also housed a 'Tuck Shop' for morning breaks.

48 minutes ago, Marrowman said:

The following website might be of interest to any former High Pavement pupils.

https://www.highpavementsociety.org.uk/index.html

The memories thread has some good stuff on it. I was there from 1966 until 1971.

I found the High Pavement website a few years back when I was researching my dad’s (1915-2004) school days. He attended the Stanley Rd school around 1926-1930 and I found the articles in the school magazine The Pavior very interesting particular the photographs of the Stanley Rd site which I attended as a pupil of Forest Fields Grammar School in 1961-66.

The closest I came to High Pavement was my time at the Stanley Rd site as a pupil of Forest Fields Grammar from 1961-66.

My cousin Alan Whyley attended the Bestwood site from 1958 onwards as did a neighbour in Beechdale, Craig Thorpe.

I later worked with ex Pavior Paul Seaman at Boots QA Labs in D10 Beeston 1968-72 and later still Lawrence Watkins.

Wondered if these names mean anything to ex Paviors posting on here.

Sadly those names mean nothing to me Mess