Went to Carrington Lido as a child in the 50s... I remember there were wire baskets to put your clothes in and the water was always soooo cold (as it would be being outdoor!). There were fountains at the end of the pool.  

I remember people stretched out by the side of the pool sunbathing - there was some grass to lie on.

Wasn't there a cinema nearer to the Lido than the Metropole?  I remember trying to go in there with a girlfriend of mine when we were 14.  It was an Elvis film and must have been an 'A' as we were asked how old we were.  We told the truth and we weren't allowed in!   

Yes, I remember the name 'Curzon'.  It would have been 1957 when I failed to get in!   If they'd been a bit more lenient about our ages, they would have made more money!   (But it was good that the rule was enforced, I think)

• Like 1

RR ...actually IN the Lido pool or the changing rooms or where???  The mind boggles!

Who remembers the Police Sports Ground that was on the other side of Mansfield Rd about opposite the lido?

I remember our primary school participating in Nottingham inter school athletics there in the late 1950s. If you won or were placed in your event you received a coloured ribbon.

Does it still exist?

Yes Mess, the sports ground is still there, thankfully still a bit of green space within the City boundary.  Used every weekend by local teams. It was mentioned on a ‘Police’ thread the other day.  

Margie, you are a mine of information! Yes, it was the Curzon. The Metropole was nearer to Woodthorpe Park where Claremont Cross Country took place. In my last year lots of us were hauled up before Jack Aram for "lampooning" the cross country by wearing hiking boots! 

I wasn't a ' bad boy' ,but had the cane quite a few times in my years there!

14 hours ago, Frank Johnson said:

What happened to the swimming pool? Are we talking abat the same place? Next to the church and close .to the Carrington Fish & chips shop.p

The Lido area has been a children’s play park for years.  Not been in there but I’m sure they filled the pool in! 

I wouldn’t recommend the chip shop you’re remembering, although Cods Scallops have opened one further down the road towards the Grosvenor. They’re award-winning and excellent but not cheap.  

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, radfordred said:

Think I've posted this before on here, I'm more than sure my 1st daughter was conceived in Carrington lido? 

Bleddy randy pool attendants. Hope you caught up with him RR.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

yep I was born in 1952  warrener  was my nee name at 2 woodvine villas Carrington or might have been called woodbine I did get a pic ogf it off one of these sites but cant find it lol I used to go to the lido and the Curzon I remember I was about 2 /3 there was an earthquake that shook the cinema twice I was sucking my blue fluffy blanket and the man came on stage and said there has been an earthquake no damage stay in your seats lol I remember this clear as day ..I also remember our villa was at the rear of the lido u could hear the .people shouting and water splashing  from my front garden and rear

yep the Curzon was where they announced an earthquake had riocked the seats I was about 2 have a great memory  I remember falled out my pram at 10 mnths lol woodbine villas Carrington nottm  rear of lido where I also went lol we moved to whitemoor when I was 4 and a half then at 5 moved to Arnold lol at 11 moved to wollaton lol u

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Never went to Carrington lido but spent a lot of time at Papplewick and Calverton lidos and they too were freezing, never seemed to bother us though.

Can't remember any time limit and often spent the full day there, no sunscreen then which is probably why I keep having to have chunks cut out of me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Talking about sunscreen, I remember putting cooking oil on me when I was sunbathing as a teenager in the fifties!   Luckily, I escaped any long term damage as I don't have fair skin  and have never had sunburn.  

Very clever, Phil... but I just used to turn several shades darker.  These days, I try and avoid being in the direct sunlight