I can remember going to an outside pool, not sure if it was Carrington or Carlton Lido. I know it was a bit of a treat to go there,loved it.

Mrs B

Mrs B. I don't think there was a Carlton lido. The ones I remember are Carrington, Papplewick, Calverton,  Highfields and my local one, Bulwell. (The only one I ever went to)

katyjay. It was definitely Carrington Lido. I learnt to swim at the Portland Baths in the “Medders” and couldn’t understand why there needed to be a public baths next door and why people didn’t have a bath at home. Can remember doing swimming galas there.

Mrs B

On 4/8/2018 at 8:40 AM, MargieH said:

Went to Carrington Lido as a child in the 50s... I remember there were wire baskets to put your clothes in and the water was always soooo cold (as it would be being outdoor!). There were fountains at the end of the pool.  

I remember people stretched out by the side of the pool sunbathing - there was some grass to lie on.

Wasn't there a cinema nearer to the Lido than the Metropole?  I remember trying to go in there with a girlfriend of mine when we were 14.  It was an Elvis film and must have been an 'A' as we were asked how old we were.  We told the truth and we weren't allowed in!   

Oh yes, I remember the freezing Carrington Lido in the 60s!  There used to be a private boys's school nearby on the same road.  There was another (indoor pool) called the Noel Street Baths we were taken to by the school.   I also remember the Metropole at the top of the hill on Mansfield Road.  All in all there were several good cinemas in Nottingham at the time,  The Metropole, The Gaumont, The Elite, The Odeon and The Mechanics (known as the flea pit!)     I used to live in Redhill near Arnold.

I worked diagonally opposite the baths . The hairdressers on the corner of Noel st and Gladstone Street. Remember a head on car crash when Inwas cleaning the window display out. One car ended up upside down. Frightening at the time.

In its past history, Noel Street swimming baths also doubled as an ice rink. I recall, when we filed in there for swimming at both Berridge and The Manning, people buying bars of soap and disappearing into a different part of the building for a hot bath. In those days, I suppose, many homes had no bathroom and no bathing facility other than a tin bath.

The overriding memory of Noel Street was the wonderful smell of hot chocolate, mints and soup emitted by the vending machines in the foyer. Not that we were permitted to partake, as we stood there with wet hair, shivering prior to the trek back to school. No eating or drinking off school premises whilst wearing the Manning uniform!

• 4 months later...
On 7/22/2019 at 10:20 AM, Oztalgian said:

Never went to Carrington lido but spent a lot of time at Papplewick and Calverton lidos and they too were freezing, never seemed to bother us though.

Can't remember any time limit and often spent the full day there, no sunscreen then which is probably why I keep having to have chunks cut out of me.

Didnt there used to be a lido down at the trent bridge somewhere abouts , across the road from the river trent ?

There definitely was a paddling pool along the embankment. Maybe near Mundella school. I paddled in it when staying with a friend in the Meadows.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stuart.C said:

Well done @Stuart.C the royal embankment that was the one a paddling pool not a lido .