When I was a teenager I used to be mates with the landlord's son.( early 60's ) .The pub's cellars were part of the cave system under Nottm. and you could get as far as the cemetry on Forest Road East.

I expect the caves have all been bricked up by now. It was rumoured that the ones in the cemetry were used by "beatnicks".

Did you go into the caves? If you did, did you go anything like the distance it is to the Forest Road Cemetery? I used to live next door to the Grosvenor and yes, there was a cellar there (probably still is) - as there were in the majority of Victorian properties but it wasn't, by any means, connected to any caves, as was rumoured.

I also lived at No 1 Second Avenue, Sherwood Rise. That, again, was rumoured to have a cellar which connected with The Lodge on Mansfield Road (the Greco-style building that used to be used as a toolshed for the Forest/Rock Cemetery groundsmen). Yes, it did have a cellar but no, it didn't link anywhere. It was just a dank cellar in a Victorian townhouse.

During that period, I worked on Gregory Boulevard at, what is now Page & Kirk. At that time the site was a research station comprising two Victorian/Edwardian/(possibly Georgian) townhouses with a 1950's monstrosity linking them. Viewed on Google SV, the house on the left was/is Thorneywood and on the right, Thistlebank. Thorneywood has/had an extensive cellar which I explored thoroughly but there were no indications of there ever being any caves or links to anywhere else, even though the building itself looked out on The Forest.

I am interested to know more about these tunnels and caves in that area. I have heard lots of stories and anecdotes but not heard from anyone who has had experience of seeing or entering (and travelling the length) of any "secret" tunnels. I know there are numerous ex-commercial/obsolete railway tunnels but these are something different.

Hi Jonab

I do remember going along a sandstone passage for  a short while; however, my friend could have exaggerated the extent of the passage! 

Just out of interest, my first home in Nottm. was in Third Avenue in 1956.

There are extensive tunnel systems all over Nottm, including a rather large one to the right of Mansfield Rd as you run down into town but I know nothing of the ones mentioned here.

There was quite an extensive one entered from the cellar of a house on Nottingham Rd Daybrook. If you remember at the Nottingham Rd side of Daybrook brewery there was a row of Victorian terrace houses it was in the last one of these nearest to Arnold.

I worked there for EMGAS during the early 60s, went into the cellar to check the meter and saw another door beyond which was a further flight of stairs leading downwards, the occupant told me these lead down to a tunnel, so I grabbed my torch and went for a look. I went some 50-100 yards in and then turned back but it was obvious that it continued on.