Scenes which haven't changed very much

That picture of St Mary's church Blidworth is take from Ricketts Lane which if you follow along takes you past the old Blidworth windmill,  "Druid's Stone" and out on to the A60 the Nottingham-Mansfield road near the table top tree and the Bessie Shepherd stone.

Image result for Table Top Tree blidworthImage result for Table Top Tree blidworth

• Like 5

Love the photo of Ollerton. That area is prominent in my family tree with my great grandfather being born in Wellow and his siblings at Ompton. That line of the family goes back through Kneesall, Bilsthorpe and Laxton. Great great grandad ended his days in Retford, keeping a pub after farming all his life.

A few years ago, I worked at Welbeck House in Ollerton, built on the site of the former Colliery. Hated the place. It was a soulless building. Often visited Retford, which is still a nice town. It's nice to walk the same ground your ancestors knew, even if it does look very different.

Except for the beautiful gate boarded up. Oh ! And where's all the students litter ?

Our nearby town, Newark, is very interesting architecturally. Probably the nicest town in the county. Lots of places to eat and drink and some good antique shops. Avoid it at the moment though. Severn Trent are installing a necessary new sewer system and the town centre is chaotic. I feel sorry for the traders. Only those directly on the roads adjoining the works are getting compensation for the disruption but the whole town is affected. The work is scheduled to finish in June. Please come and spend lots of money after then - you will be very much welcomed!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I had my account at Eastwood Natwest when we moved there after we got married. I remember the manager was very unaccomodating so I took my overdraft elsewhere. Like most Natwest's its closed down now.

• Like 1