Dale Winton

Nottingham born TV presenter, and quiz show host, Dale Winton has died aged 62 .

CF, I only posted what I'd read. Thank you for pointing out my error in not researching sufficiently ! I'm not really bothered where he was born actually !

RR, yes, I believe he was on Radio Trent at one time. 

I always thought he was Nottingham bloke............in the 90s it was his voice that was used in Coop house...all the ads etc..............

• Upvote 1

Mrs Red had been to the flicks with our Daughter (some girlie film) came in at 10pm, I told her Dale Wintons dead, "Ooo I`ll just check FACEBOOK" she read a few out to me "O my God can`t believe it" "No Way!!!!!!' "Who`s next?" and what is this big thing "I was 1st to post/know thing?" all about? 

Not sure I fit into this world anymore, get a life. :crazy:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

He spent a lot of his working life in Nottingham, so he almost counts as being local. I first became aware of him in the mid-late 70s when he was on Radio Trent doing a soul music show. He often co-presented with Kevin Thomas who ran Arcade Records when they were still in West End Arcade.

And Supermarket Sweep was made by Central TV at Lenton Lane, so he was back in Nottingham for most of the 90s.

• Upvote 1

Dale was every bit as pleasant in person as his screen/radio persona suggested.

During his Radio Trent days he was a regular for lunch at the Red Lion, Thurgarton where my mum was a waitress. She adored him for his charm and exquisite manners.

It would be easy to dismiss him as just a nice guy but he knew his music too.

I have his autobiography & it makes fascinating reading. His life sadly was very difficult that he always had problems with his weight, he would often crash diet before a new TV show was to be recorded. He also never really recovered from his mother's suicide. Being from a well off middle class background was no guarantee of happiness in his life.

He could never be considered almost local living in & working in Nottingham was only a small part of his life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Winton

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...