• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't watch much of any news any more.  It always seems to be propaganda of one kind or another and attacks on our president.  Don't misunderstand me.  I'm not a great Don Trump supporter and  I don't

Whilst I'm not remotely religious, I have no problem with the idea of a Patron Saint or similar which folk can look to for inspiration and comfort when required.    But you can tell the stor

And did those feet in ancient times walk upon Englands mountains green. Happy St.Georges Day - That's what I'm talking about x   

Posted Images

Here's a bit of useless information for you about St Georges day.

It is the day that you should pick dandelions at noon if you are going to make dandelion wine. Apparently this is the time when they are at their best for brewing :cheers:

• Upvote 1

I started school in 1941 and St George's day was mentioned in class by the teachers every year.

I would fly the flag if I had a flagpole to put it on; can't drape it out of bedroom window in my bungalow

• Upvote 2

Here's a bit of useless information for you about St Georges day.

It is the day that you should pick dandelions at noon if you are going to make dandelion wine. Apparently this is the time when they are at their best for brewing :cheers:

i remember my DAD putting Dandelion leaves on cheese sandwiches

• Upvote 1

mine arnt really flags monika they are beach towels ive got 4 0f them so but two out of my bedroom windows one in my bedroom on first flor and one from my sons attic bedroom we live in an old 3 storey terrace house at the moment so most conveniant for flying them otherwise they would get nicked

• Upvote 1

#32 Full of iron and a powerful diuretic. Too bitter for my taste, though not as bad as a dandelion root decoction noblue

• 11 months later...

catfan

We can go around upsetting the French. I do.

My mrs, being Russian, was very surprised that we dont celebrate St George's Day or for that matter, VE day, as the Russians do have a massive celebration on 9 May when the Germans threw in the towel against Russia. We went to Moscow for 9 May and I saw the tanks outside our hotel on the night before the parade forming up. I had a wander around and very impressive it was. Didnt get to Red Square as it was packed, so watched the parade form up in Manezh Square.

She thought that we did not honour our nation. She thought we were reserved British people, and had little respect for our country. Quietly I thought - well, I must show you how we do celebrate our nation.

Quietly celebrate? No, not quite. Hyde Park September 2014. Many thousands there on a pleasant night. Hamper of champagne and port (Well Cava actually but its a minor detail), a Union Jack waistcoat, a flag the size of Rutland and belting out "Land of Hope and Glory" "Jerusalem" "Rule Britannia" and other classics until my voice went. We can do the nationalist thing when we want to.

Add to that the quiet dignity of Remembrance Sunday, and she learned something profound.

• Upvote 4

People shouldn't complain about the lack of St George's Day celebrations. What they should do is organise their own celebrations with family, friends and anyone else who wants to join in. Let us all fly the George Cross with pride and be proud to be English. The Scots, Irish and Welsh all have their day, and rightly so. In a lot of places the authorities seem scared to show the flag in case they offend someone. I'm sure you'll know my answer to that.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...

It's St George's Day tomorrow.

Not a mention of it anywhere. Nothing on the BBC website (not here, anyway). Nothing in the Sunday papers, Nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

Considering the publicity and celebration that the saints Patrick, Andrew and David receive, doesn't old George deserve something better?

St George had nothing to do with anything in France, as far as I know, but there are a couple of bars here that are having a Jour de George (I know it's only to get custom but - -). Shame on the English!!!

• Upvote 2

Exactly jonab. The media, especially the totally left wing biased BBC fall over themselves to publicise other saints days, but unfortunately not our own. It's those ridiculous stories of the Crusades that come to the fore whenever St George does occasionally get a mention.

I'll purposely seek out a pub selling Spitfire tomorrow.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, radfordred said:

St.Georges Day tomorrow youth :crazy:

Ooooops I was conflating another celebratory occasion - Shakespeare's birth (and death) day.

Neither George or William have recognition.

53 minutes ago, jonab said:

It's St George's Day tomorrow.

Not a mention of it anywhere. Nothing on the BBC website (not here, anyway). Nothing in the Sunday papers, Nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

Considering the publicity and celebration that the saints Patrick, Andrew and David receive, doesn't old George deserve something better?

St George had nothing to do with anything in France, as far as I know, but there are a couple of bars here that are having a Jour de George (I know it's only to get custom but - -). Shame on the English!!!

Take a look at the NEP website & you will see it gets a mention.!

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/smaller-nottingham-st-georges-day-1468212

One of my neighbours has just said:

"You have to remember that George was guilty of horrendous cruelty to a poor defenceless dragon, simply because it was eating white folks, so is looked down on by Vegans and liberals. Was a Roman soldier of Greek origin, so has given UKIP members the hump. Has not been adopted as an excuse to get extra bladdered by the power drinkers and has a flag that right-wing morons have attempted to co-opt. 

Clearly, time for middle England to step up to the plate and reclaim him.

On the plus side with the other saints, just remind the Irish that St Patrick was English, drives them ballistic."

• Like 1