Well, you learn something every day. Jonab, very interesting post, it got our inquisitive juices flowing so I just Googled St Patrick. Thought this was an interesting site. He could even be Welsh according to this account? 

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofWales/St-Patrick-The-most-celebrated-Welshman-in-America/

Hope the sun shines for you RR.

PS, Will be flying the flag tomorrow. Must get the board out today, it could do with ironing!:)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't watch much of any news any more.  It always seems to be propaganda of one kind or another and attacks on our president.  Don't misunderstand me.  I'm not a great Don Trump supporter and  I don't

Whilst I'm not remotely religious, I have no problem with the idea of a Patron Saint or similar which folk can look to for inspiration and comfort when required.    But you can tell the stor

And did those feet in ancient times walk upon Englands mountains green. Happy St.Georges Day - That's what I'm talking about x   

Posted Images

2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Exactly jonab. The media, especially the totally left wing biased BBC

I don't think it's that simple.

Politically, I see the BBC as totally right wing biased.  Practically every one of their political journalists/commentators is a known Conservative party supporter, member, former candidate etc.  This definitely applies to Norman Smith, Laura Kuenssberg, Nick Robinson, Evan Davis, Andrew Neil and many others. That is of course a political thing which we really shouldn't be getting into here.

Equally oddly, I think it is arguable that in terms of culture, rather than politics, the BBC generally displays a liberal, inclusive bias. You can see that as left wing  I suppose. It's an odd mix.

Personally, I think it's time the ordinary silent majority of ordinary British citizens, re-claimed the flag of St George from the fascists, racists and bully boys who seem to have claimed it for themselves.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/St-George-Patron-Saint-of-England/

• Like 1

Whilst I'm not remotely religious, I have no problem with the idea of a Patron Saint or similar which folk can look to for inspiration and comfort when required. 

But you can tell the story of St George like this..

There was this ethnically Greek chap who was born in Israel and working as a bodyguard for the Emperor Diocletian of Rome.  At the time Rome had occupied and suppressed the people of England for around 300 years. So when this Greek/Israeli/Roman chap wouldn't renounce his Christian faith, Diocletian had him tortured and killed.  And naturally, the people of England, who would continue to be occupied by Rome for a further 200 years, adopted George as their Patron Saint....

The Scots seem to have taken their time deciding, but eventually settled on St Andrew, born in Galilee, who they share with lots of other countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_the_Apostle

Meanwhile, St Patrick of Ireland, who was half Roman and born around the same time as George, but in Roman Britain possibly in Scotland or Wales, but not Ireland, was adopted by the Irish.

https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/history-of-st-patrick.html

A couple of hundred years later.. the Welsh decided to break with tradition and actually adopt a Welsh bloke as their Patron Saint..  :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_David

Col

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Col, it's not the BBC reporters that I find biased. It's the whole entity of management from the very top. If it's not them, then lower management / production staff that are the culprits. 

Having said that, I NEVER watch ITV news, as it just seems so amateurish.

Don't watch much of any news any more.  It always seems to be propaganda of one kind or another and attacks on our president.  Don't misunderstand me.  I'm not a great Don Trump supporter and  I don't want to get political.  I wasn't a Clinton supporter either.    I do believe in respect for the office though.  I try to get my news. Selectively from the Internet.  You have to be careful there too.  I have pretty much reached the point where I no longer know who is telling the truth and who is lying.  It was probably always like that, but now it just seems downright blatant.  :(

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

If you're going to tell a lie, make it a big one. Make it so big the people will think it can't possibly be a lie, and if it all goes pear shaped make sure you have someone else to take the blame.

• Like 2

Looks like Morrisons are celebrating St Georges Day. (About time someone did) Chris has just got back from ours and every one is being given a red rose to celebrate the day with them.. I asked him why he didn't keep popping back in, I could have had a lovely bunch for nowt in the end. 

PS. When he walked in with the rose and I went all gooey and dewy eyed, he did confess that he hadn't bought it. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

St Patrick's flag = fine
St Andrew's flag = fine
St David's flag = fine
St George's flag = Racist.

Happy st George's Day to all you racists out there! 

thumbsup

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, Gem said:

Full of students.........

Give me a pub full of students anytime Gem rather than screaming uncontrolled brats whose gormless looking parents sit looking with vacant expressions & say nowt.

• Like 3

Living in Scotland one has to be careful of shouting about one's nationality, so instead fo flying a St.George flag I planted an entire hedgerow of Rosa rugosa - alternating the bushes: two red flowering and two white flowering, for 20 yards.

thumbsup

• Like 2