Super inflation in the garden....

Super inflation has hit gardeners this year. Have you noticed the contents of your seed packets this season? Prices have not risen by much and in some cases not at all but the amount of seed per packet has shrunk. I have noticed this in many packets from different suppliers but I offer this as a typical example: the packet on the left was bought this season and the one on the right, last season. Same variety, same supplier, same shop, even the same price. However, this season's pack contains 20 seeds whereas last season's packet contains 50 seeds. By my reckoning, that is an increase of 150% in cost per seed....and they say inflation is at around 2.9%!

40749069565_3b58b6d489_h.jpg

Compo, I always used to grow new ones from the previous years seed heads. A bit fiddly I appreciate, but I obtained some good results.

My dad always bought seeds from Stewart & Brewill, Seed Merchants in the Lace Market. Been trying to jog my memory on Google Maps as to just where they were but everything has changed so much there, I'm not having much luck.

That fits, Phil. I well remember the men in brown smocks. No H&S then climbing those ladders!

Some years later I recall a scientific equipment supplier just down from S & B where all the "A" level chemistry students were required to go to buy their one inch of platinum wire for their analytical chemistry practicals.

This was at the Technical College (as it was called then - the one on Burton Street). You had to buy your own platinum wire as all the college supplies were regularly stolen.

I must say we occasionally ‘borrowed’ items from the chemi. lab at Mellish for our private experimentation but as the school has since been demolished and the senior chemistry master ‘Pablo’ Atkins died last month aged 100 it will be difficult to pin the blame on anyone! Pablo, as he was known, Mr. J.R. Atkins, was an inspirational chemistry teacher and is fondly remembered. Incidently he was a Bulwell resident who lived on Rock St.

Re.  The seeds, Compo.   I've noticed the same thing here.  (Less seeds, same or higher price). Same with a lot of stuff these days.  I try to use heirloom seeds as much as possible and then dry and use the next year.  Seems to work ok for me and avoids GMO.

• Like 1
On 23/04/2018 at 8:24 AM, FLY2 said:

Compo, I always used to grow new ones from the previous years seed heads. A bit fiddly I appreciate, but I obtained some good results.

The seeds never ripen this far north Fly :(

On 23/04/2018 at 4:42 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

Compo, have you tried Premier Seeds Direct, you have to build up a bit of an order to avoid postage but I find them great value.

I do use them, NBL. I have a few companies that I can use that don't charge excessive postage - some are even free postage.  Sometimes I buy locally though, you know, as an afterthought or impulse buys.