Chulla - the nickname

We are all going to miss our friend, Chulla but can someone tell me where he got such a nickname, please?

• Like 1

He did explain some time ago on a thread about how we chose our Nottstalgia names, but I can't remember the reason. Perhaps someone with knowledge of how to trace old threads can help.

• Like 2

Do you know, I had a conversation about where the name Chulla arose from, and I could kick myself because for the life of me all I can remember him telling me was that it was a mate,  who dubbed him Chulla. He even told me his name? What a shame I can't remember. There you go, I've just told you something and nothing. Perhaps KJ will know.:rolleyes:

On 23/11/2014 at 3:50 PM, Chulla said:

When people hear my nickname 'Chulla' for the first time they invariably ask how it came about - it happened twice at one of the Nottstalgia meet-ups. It comes from schoolboy silliness back in 1953 and is a bit complicated . Having the surname Birch (it should be Newton, but we won't go there), I inevitably got the nickname 'Butch' in class. At that time there was a comic-strip cartoon character called Butch the Burglar. The two were put together by a lad named Brian Austin and for a little while I was 'Butch the burglar'. This was quickly shortened to Butchelar, (Butch the burglar) and then finally became the rear-end of the latter to give the phonetic Chullar (Butchelar). Some called me Chillar, others Chulla - I settled for the latter.

Daft I call it, but it has stuck. I have met people I have not seen in decades who immediately call me Chulla - and I rather like it. As for Brian Austin, we shared a sense of humour, and sadly he died many years ago. I subsequently learned that among the varied jobs he had, one was running a club in the row of shops near the Capitol cinema, opposite Berridge Road.

Here it is. I knew he had explained his name some time ago.

• Like 9
On 23/11/2014 at 3:50 PM, Chulla said:

As for Brian Austin, we shared a sense of humour, and sadly he died many years ago. I subsequently learned that among the varied jobs he had, one was running a club in the row of shops near the Capitol cinema, opposite Berridge Road.

I think there's a thread about that club.    https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/7133-stork-club/?tab=comments#comment-522385

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, gang. Glad I know the answer - it would have bothered me for ages otherwise.

Blimey we look as if we could all be related.............my Daughter married to a Newton.............

• Like 1

There's no Newtons in my family tree so I'm NOT related to any of you (phew..)

Do any of you have any Selbys, Pyes, Crowders or Horeys in your family trees?  If you don't then I'm STILL not related to you (double phew...!). 

I don't mean it really - I wouldn't mind some new cousins as I've only got 3 left...

• Like 3

My mum lived about a mile away from North Wheatley when she was young!   That would be from 1902 until about 1936... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

She never mentioned any Newtons.... although I remember her saying that she went to some dances in North Wheatley.  

Interesting thought, Lizzie, but unlikely, as my older bro looks very much like my dad!... and the dances at Wheatley were way before my time...   I think I'll have to be content with my 3 surviving cousins.

• 3 weeks later...

After my time NBL. There was no heating when I was in the AMQs...unless of course youmean the Officers' married quarters?  They would be sure to get it first.