They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.........

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them."

In a sombre frame of mind this morning, for some reason I began to think about rock and rollers who died young. They burnt the candle at both ends, lived life to the full and went out in  a blaze of glory.  I think it must have been the attached photo that started me off. I was looking for a picture of former front man from Dr Feelgood, Lee Brilleuax, when I came across this photo of rock legends Wilko Johnson and Norman Watt-Roy [Credit:photographer unknown].  Wilko was told that he was dying from a massive tumor which was inoperable but in the end he took a gamble and had an operation from which he expected to die.  He is now back on the road with Norman and doing fine.  Many others, through mishap, overindulgence and downright recklessness were not so lucky so how about a list of rock'n'rollers who didn't make it?

Here's a starter for ten:

Johnny Kidd

Keith Moon

Jimi Hendrix

Jim Morrison

Buddy holly

Janis joplin

Eddie Cochran

Mark Bolan

Mama Cass

john Bonham and many more.

Anyone have a favourite who died prematurely? I think I would choose Keith Moon but htere are so many it is not an easy question to answer.

39904922100_23fea53c08_b.jpg

• Like 2

I can't speak to all of your list, Compo because as you know I'm not much into R&r.  Didn't Buddy Holly die in a plane crash though?  Rather than wild living as such.

It seems that the sex, drugs and rock and roll lifestyle is bound to kill quite a few of them young, by the simple law of averages.

• Like 2

Stevie M, Rory, Duane Allman, Gram, Bon Scott, Eddie Shaver, Randy Rhodes. 

6 hours ago, loppylugs said:

can't remember what took G G now Jill.  I'd forgotten he died  so young.

Massive cerebral haemorrhage, Loppy. GG was, by all accounts, a bit of a hypochondriac who took all sorts of pills for what were, possibly, imagined ailments. His blood pressure, however, was not under control and was the cause of the stroke that took him on his way.

Clifford T Ward.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

Clifford T Ward.

I didn't know he had died. I shall have to look him up.  I have his original LP (Mantlepieces) somewhere. I remember his appearance on The Old Grey Whislte Test very clearly. he sang "Scullery", accompanying himself on the piano.

• Upvote 1

Just looked, Fly...The Clifford T Ward OGWT session I mentioned is on YouTube.

• Upvote 1

PAUL KOSSOFF. ..... The only man who could make one chord sound like a symphony. Such intense and deep emotion. 

• Like 2
On 27/04/2018 at 11:03 PM, Paradiddle said:

Pete Ham and Tom Evans, Badfinger.  Good documentary on YT.

Talented duo there Paradiddle. I'm always spinning their records:

Magic Christian Music, No Dice, Straight Up, Ass, Badfinger, Wish You Were Here etc.

• Like 1

Tim Hardin.... Master songwriter ! Such a tragic figure, and penned some of the most heart wrenching songs imaginable.

How can we hang on to a dream, Misty Roses, Black Sheep Boy, If I were a carpenter. Reason to believe, and many more.

• Like 1