IAN123.

The Lost City.

Met Harry a few times. First time in Loughborough when he was guest of honour at the company (H Morris) staff dinner. He missed his vocation, should have been an entertainer/comedian. Another time , when we moved to Keyworth, I was having a Sunday lunchtime drink, when Harry turns up, bangs his DB shotgun on the bar and orders a drink. Larger than life, but humble when talking about his passion - the rose. I named our modest new build in Keyworth 'Le rosier' and planted 6 of his standard HT hybrids along the drive way. 

• Like 1

I wonder how long it was before some wag took that kids hat off and skimmed it across the playground

Rog

Another advert from Nottm past.12435639783_02cb4962fb_b.jpgReminds me..bought a badge engineered MG Mini Metro..went like stink..but rotten to drive..the steering wheel seemed off centre.One day..i couldn't switch off the engine...got a hefty tax rebate and bought  an XR2..loved that..more poke than a frisky cattle prod !

As far as I am aware Burton, Griffiths and Co. did not manufacture anything they were engineers merchants and machine tool agents.

However looking at images on Google it brought back some memories of long forgotten machine tools/supplies such as Blanchard grinders, Pratt chucks, (always raised a giggle with 1st year apprentices), Lapointe broaches, Warner and Swasey lathes and Acme forging machines.

Looking at some of the exposed geared flywheels, pulleys and gear sets I often wonder how tradesmen survived without the OHS&W guidelines we have today.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IAN123. said:

BP  on Carlton Rd.

Your picture reminded me of this tin that I keep with my stationary engine

P1060913.jpg

P1060914.jpg

Rog

• Like 3

Squires removals were down the Meadows, their son Tim was a polio sufferer and had to wear leg irons,he'd be about 65 now, be nice to get in touch with him again,last time I saw him would have been about 60 years ago

Rog

• Like 1

Cheers Rog.The builder on the previous post amazed me. Is that a veg patch in the photo..he looks like no one is getting in!