IAN123.

The Lost City.

Aaaah, from the time when men knew how to surprise a gal, and when women appreciated such wonderful gifts. Well done George!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Coates..a Dunkirk firm with a great history.spring-close-coates-02.jpg

Imagine what Elf & Safety would have to say about machinery powered by belts (or ropes) and shafting like that of Coates. It should be remembered that shafting was the normal method of powering all kinds of static machinery before electric motors came on the scene. Lots of the shafts were at ground level so you had to be very careful where you placed your feet when moving around - this machinery was very powerful and didn't stop for things as trivial as a foot or a leg in the way. This was in addition to the tabletop level of the subsidiary shafts driving individual machines (knitting machines, looms etc). These were very good at crushing fingers and hands.

This is not some Victorian workhouse system. I can easily remember whole factories being powered like this.

• Like 2

My dad worked for Lee & Hunt, an engineering company in Nottingham. During school holidays I was often sent to see him at work, collect his wage packet (he was paid at lunchtime) and take it back to mam. The most abiding memory is the smell of cutting oil and the slap, slap of the leather belting driving the machines. They were fascinating. Along the whole length of the workshop at ceiling height one huge shaft constantly turned. Then there were drops to smaller, secondary shafts with differing sized wheels and the belts driving the different machines. To start the machine running you simply lowered an idler wheel onto the belt and increased the tension. Not a safety guard in sight! Old belting soled and heeled our shoes for years.

Once I watched, what I now know to be a lathe, making long turnings of metal that curled like a spring. They were pretty colours so I picked one up, soon put it down! the pretty colours were from the heat generated when the metal was cut.

• Like 4

I remember going with my father to Summit Engineering where he worked in the early 60s, although I can't remember where it was. Must have been his day off.  I, too, remember the oily smell, the noise of the machinery and the height of the workbenches I couldn't see over,

Before I was born, dad lost the tip of a middle finger due to a faulty guard on a machine. He received compensation for this and it wasn't uncommon.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I remember going with my father to Summit Engineering where he worked in the early 60s, although I can't remember where it was. Must have been his day off.  I, too, remember the oily smell, the noise of the machinery and the height of the workbenches I couldn't see over,

Before I was born, dad lost the tip of a middle finger due to a faulty guard on a machine. He received compensation for this and it wasn't uncommon.

Many toolmakers who made press tools had the tips of their index or middle fingers missing due to using them to check the alignment of pins and slides on dies with side actions. I was always taught to use a wooden dowel and still have all my digits.

From coal and flour sacks to stringing champion tennis rackets..this Lenton firm was well respected.images-3.jpg

The PictureHouse Cinema opened on Bonfire Night 1912.picturehouse-advert.jpgSome time ago a members relation played a Cinema/ Theatre organ?picturehouse-advert-octagonal-room.pngFebruary's film offering -1915.

1970s-uk-wrangler-magazine-advert-EXR398Don't recall Wrangler at Colwick...but went and bought ' slight seconds' from that place in Calverton.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:29 PM, Brew said:

The most abiding memory is the smell of cutting oil and the slap, slap of the leather belting driving the machines.

Went to Calderdale Industrial Museum in Halifax at half term. In the basement is Sadie, an oil engine driving a room full of every machine imaginable via leather belts. The noise was unbelievable! The volunteers in every bit of the museum really new their stuff - all retirees. I was amazed by my youngest daughter (12) who exhausted the staff with her questions. She is scary! managed to predict the pattern on a carpet piece from the bobbin order. I finally know the big difference between Axminster and Wilton.

B O G O F

Stag Furniture..meant quality.1970s-uk-stag-magazine-advert-EXRFT1.jpgWorthy of an instant sale on the 'Quiz of the week'.

"Was the Stag furniture factory out Colwick way ?   I remember being told stories about a fire at the Stag factory which was just a few years before I joined. A vast fire loading and a shortage of water meant it burnt freely, water turning to steam before it reached the fire.The lads said there was whole tables and chairs going up to the sky in the flames and heat storm.

I assume they started up again somewhere else ?

• Like 1

Stag had a factory at Hucknall but the Head office and the other manufacturing site was on Haydn Rd. On the corner of Quorn Rd. There was no fire at the Haydn Rd. premises during the 25 years I worked in the area. I do remember seeing the fire at Stanley’s, Bulwell, though out of my window.

Stag had a factory in St Anns, I forget the location now, but that was the one my late Uncle worked at, sometime in the early 50's he and several other employees set off for Dunedin, New Zealand, to establish a factory there, where he stayed for the rest of his life.

Haydn road, I remember P.P.Paynes knitwear down there, massive place, full of lovely girls ! no memory of Stag on Haydn Rd, I reckon I've got the name of the furniture factory  wrong, nothing new there ! 

Got it ! the furniture fire I remembered , nowhere near Colwick !,, it was a furniture warehouse on Queens Rd, 24th March 1967, a year before I joined. The old record I found says there was 14 other fires started by flying debris and that three road vehicles and 4 railway wagons were also destroyed.

Demolished straight after.

• Like 1