IAN123.

The Lost City.

Comparing old maps, before and after that Queens Rd fire, it must have been the old timber yard buildings, London Rd end, between the railway lines and Queens Rd.

That building disappears after the fire.

Looks like there was a pub on that corner with London Rd,  The Lord Gordon maybe ?

• Like 1

Indeed Fog...lost many a lunchtime in here.nottingham-ng2-generalgordon.jpgGeneral Gordon...a stones throw from the new Fire Station?

• Like 1

That's it, the building that burnt down  must have been roughly  behind, long gone as the cars appear to be eighties jobs. I assume Queens Rd must be to the left where the white truck is about to emerge ? but it shows a no entry sign to reach Arkwright Street, my memory is it was 2 way. 

I think the City works department was almost opposite,  is that where the new station was built ? 

• Like 1

Thanks Ian, interesting post , keep the old pics coming !

• Like 1

Forgot all about them,, had a few nice Shirts from the one in Bulwell......no mens clothes shops in Bulwell now........

• Like 1

Bullimore & Parkers was my little shop...Mam would put a few bob down for a pair of staypress or a bumfreezer jacket.

• Like 1

Had a nice chat with a chap on a coach trip last year.

He spent his entire working life there.

• Like 1

Found some great images Catfan...comings and goings of Wagons..all 1970's..could have been that fella?

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 12:17 AM, IAN123. said:

Remember seeing the vans knocking about..especially when walking to and from fishing.BA64067-206x320.jpg

That's who I started my steeplejack career with 44 years ago! They also had a foundry, stage and theater lighting division a stone masons division and lightning conductor side.

• Like 1

The lightning conductor side merged with the steeplejack side and the rest was sold off and the ceased when John Furse retired. He started the 'jacking ' section when he bought, Mac Donalds steeplejack s near canning circus.

• Like 1

Another 'lost' bit of Nottm..anyone recall the Country n Western nights in that pub in Arnold..full cowboy gear?

Walk in like Walter Scott..stumble out like Walter Brennan!

2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Another 'lost' bit of Nottm..anyone recall the Country n Western nights in that pub in Arnold..full cowboy gear?

Walk in like Walter Scott..stumble out like Walter Brennan!

Was that the Maid Marion on Coppice Road?.I lived near there in the 80s and I remember seeing cowboys inthere sometimes.

• Like 1

Yes Dave...forgot the name..it was a bit yeeha!...but the BBQ nights were top notch...thanks.