Uncle John's scrapbook - Forest in 3rd Div south

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My late Uncle John made a srapbook about football.......mostly old pictures of forest matches.....1949/50.........but also in his own writing,,comments on the teams,,he also wrote about a team they fo

I'm interested!

The book is now literally disintegrating in my hands, so will place it in a zip-up poly-holder.....unless the family dump it in years to come,someone may find it and enjoy it as I have.          

Likewise.

• Like 1

Back by popular demand then,,more from Uncle John,,

His handwriting,,Football Post photos,,my comments in brackets,...............

Aug 19th 1950,   Notts  0  Coventry  2,, scorers Chisholm,  and  Warner,, Notts Team

Smith

Deans                                              Rigby

Chapman                                       Baxter                            Adamson

Broome                     Sewall                                Simpson                 Evans             Johnstone

(hope its not an 'Omen' for tonight )

Photos           first goal of season at Meadow Lane   Ken Chisholm scores for Coventry after 41 minutes,

2nd           Wood the Coventry keeper punching away a corner hard pressed by Sewall Notts county inside right,

3rd            picture of a packed Meadow lane       (Uncle does'nt state the attendance but guessing over 20,000 not bad for 3rd Division)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Back by popular demand then,,more from Uncle John,,

His handwriting,,Football Post photos,,my comments in brackets,...............

Aug 19th 1950,   Notts  0  Coventry  2,, scorers Chisholm,  and  Warner,, Notts Team

Smith

Deans                                              Rigby

Chapman                                       Baxter                            Adamson

Broome                     Sewall                                Simpson                 Evans             Johnstone

(hope its not an 'Omen' for tonight )

Photos           first goal of season at Meadow Lane   Ken Chisholm scores for Coventry after 41 minutes,

2nd           Wood the Coventry keeper punching away a corner hard pressed by Sewall Notts county inside right,

3rd            picture of a packed Meadow lane       (Uncle does'nt state the attendance but guessing over 20,000 not bad for 3rd Division)

I don't think it's an omen Ben. It will be a very close game tonight but I expect Notts to nick it.

Coventry are a good footballing team but sadly that's not enough to succeed in L2. 

When we came down from L1 we got bullied out of many games but King Kev has taught Notts the dark arts and they are now thoroughly “streetwise”. Big Sam , Kevin Nolan's mentor did just the same when he got Notts out of the bottom tier. It's not always been pretty but in L2 it works.The referees are rubbish in the lower leagues and Notts and many other teams in the division have got away with murder. It's not fair, but you have to learn to cope with it and Notts have learned quickly from Mr Nolan.

I hope a rubbish referee doesn't have the last word tonight.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jodi said:

Was your Uncle John born around 1910 in Hucknall by any chance?

No Jodi,he was only 12 years older than me,so would have been born about 1933.........the whole family were born in Highbury Vale Bulwell.......and lived on Albert street and Chatham street.........

• Upvote 1

The scapbook is falling apart, but its been interesting reading whats on the reverse of some of the photos from the Football Post, just read this letter( from readers April 1950,after a Notts v Forest local derby

Not Sporting.

Congratulations to all 22 players for a grand game,but what a pity this had to be marred by an unsportsmanlike section of the crowd who booed Bob McCall continuously.

Acccording to the radio report in ''sport in the Midlands'' McCall was the best back on the field,after all both are local clubs.

P.H.Wood and F.Dams, Nottingham Forest Sportsmens club, Kingsmede branch.

my thoughts............did'nt supporters speak different back then,,anyone recall the radio prog. ''Sport in the Midlands'' ? and who were Nottingham Forest Sportsmens club,anyone know ? and wheres Kingsmede ?           will put more of readers letters on later.

I’ve read all your posts on this thread Ben although at the time they refer to an age when I was a babe in arms so don’t recognise any names, except Tommy Lawton, who’s niece I knew at school. 

My Dad had his own personal Football Album with photos, newspaper cuttings and programmes with his name in.  My brother has got custody of that (I bagged the ‘family album’ when Dad passed away).  I must do a swap with my bruv sometime just to see photos of my Dad when he was young and fit. 

• Like 1

Lizzie,

I saw your earlier post where you said your dad played for Notts.

What was his name?

16 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

unsportsmanlike........ Nottingham Forest Sportsmens club,anyone know ? and wheres Kingsmede ?           will put more of readers letters on later.

Can't answer the question but there are at least 4 letters in the EP from P.W.Woods and F.Dams of "Kingsmede",  all with more or less complaints of unsportsmanlike behaviour from rival fans and all published in 1949 .

• Like 1

Heres another again from April 1950.

Congratulations and condolences

May i through your columns congratulate Notts county on their win on saturday, and say how much i enjoyed the game in spite of being surrounded by Forest supporters!

I should also like to offer my condolences to the young lady who was wearing red and white and was leaning over the rails at the end of the game and was shedding a few tears

County Fan.

supporters were different back then.............

Uncle John wrote in the scapbook sometime in 1951 as follows,,

Took Paul to Redmayne and Todd in Town,,bought him football kit including Boots.......think he was well pleased,,

I remember it well, white shirt with collar,like Englands of the day,,black shorts,, black and white socks,...........he was right was ''well pleased'' i was a very lucky lad...........

• Like 3

Local Derby 3--11--49   City ground,  3 photos  'near miss' Roy Smith' saving a Johnny Love header,...........mid-air tussle 'Rigby' and 'Ardron'...............Thrill for Forest fans,,flying header from Johnny Love goes narrowly wide.                then in UJ's writing the teams and result

Forest 1  County  2................Capel forest scorer,,        Broome and Lawton for county'

Forest   Team    Walker Thomas Hutchinson Anderson Gager Burkitt Scott Love Ardron Capel Kaile

County    Smith Deans Rigby Chapman Baxter Adamson Broome Sewall Lawton Evans Johnstone,                                                                  

On the reverse of one of the photos is a league table of local sides'...........think 1950

Giltbrook Villa

Newstead Welfare

Colford United

Brinsley

Grove Celtic

City Transport

Beeston United

Awsworth Villa

Notts Colts

Lenton Villa

Mapperley M

Giltbrook United

my note,,when i was playing local football 60s and 70s.........some of these teams were still going,.........Newstead Welfare (pit team) City Transport (then in sunday league) Awsworth Villa (Notts Combination)           the only one i can't recall or where they originated would be Colford United, place ? company ? anyone know ?

Another of his interesting notes from 1951,

Played on Mill street against Basford United,,like playing at City ground with their new stand........must have been over 100 spectators......good game lost 4--3,           young Barry scored both goals,,  met Dad and Ben for a pint in Pear Tree after,

My notes,    think Basford United had just had a small stand built, remember it years later when i played there. Also young Barry was my cousin who later had trials for Forest excellent right winger or centre forward,, obviously his Dad would be my Grandad Jackson and Ben me Dad.........many of the family used to drink in the Pear Tree on Bulwell lane..........

edit      4-3 young Barry scored both goals ?    just wrote what UJ wrote........lol

14th OCTOBER 1950 Meadow lane,  Notts 2  Luton  2..........Johnson,Sewall, for Notts,,  Stobbart,,Horton,, for Luton,,

Attendance  34,054.......

Notts team......Bradley Corkhill Southwell Robinson Leauty Simpson Broome Sewall Lawton Crookes Johnson,

My notes......what a crowd.

28TH October 1950       (newspaper cutting )

3,100 SPECTATORS ,believed to be a record alliance gate at Ilkeston        to a splendid all round display of Football Ilkeston beat Linby 2--0.

BIG BIG WIN        For Forest      (think Dec 1950)

Forest 9  Gillingham  2,    Forest scorers Capel 4, Ardron 3, Johnson 2,

Forest team   Walker  Whare  Thomas  Morley  Gager  Burkitt  Scott  Johnson  Ardron  Capel  Collindridge..

my notes ,  strange to think that 9 years later that 2 players in this team were in the Cup final of 1959.

• Upvote 1

1950 again Job adds on the reverse of one of the Photos,

Intelligent Girl just leaving school,required to train as Junior clerk,for works office Carlton,5 day week excellent prospects    'J39 News.

Junior clerk 15 to 16 years old, female,Engineering company,Carlton district,5 day week good prospects for suitable applicant            M2 news,

Junior clerk 15 to 16 years male or female required for switchboard and general office duties,canteen facilities, apply Blanchards Bakery, Watnall,

Kendall and sons LTD, 32 Milton street,have vacancy for junior assistant,good prospects and commision,apply to the Manageress.

Young Girl required to learn office routine ---apply Manager, Wynns furnishing stores,Lister Gate,

Wanted young girls 15 to 16 quick at figures,apply in writing to  Bairns-wear Ltd, Nottingham

Reverse of a photo again  this time a bit of Cricket,, think MCC tour of Australia 1950/51

Victoria 1st innings          

C.McDonold          27
K.Mouilman            2
L.Hassett              123
N.Harvey                 25
S.Loxton                    1

H.Turner                  33
W.Johnson              22

D.Ring   not out        17
extras                          7
Total           6 wickets for 307

my notes,, being cricket mad even at 5 to 6 years old, remember many of the above Aussie players,,   Colin McDonold great opening bat, Lindsey Hassett another great bat and captained Australia, Neil Harvey brilliant 122 against England can't remember the year, Doug Ring also toured England in the 50s.

On 5/21/2018 at 5:09 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Another of his interesting notes from 1951,

Played on Mill street against Basford United,,like playing at City ground with their new stand........must have been over 100 spectators......good game lost 4--3,           young Barry scored both goals,,  met Dad and Ben for a pint in Pear Tree after,

My notes,    think Basford United had just had a small stand built, remember it years later when i played there. 

Is that the pitch which still exists, near the railway, over Vernon Road ?

No mate all houses now, not moved far though, and still near the railway/tram lines, entrance off bagnal road,grenich avenue,

More notes,   in 1950,

Rigleys 5,  Rangers 6,,

played on Rigleys field,,no goals,,used Coats,, Geoff ref'd,   pint in club after,,   about 30 were watching,,mainly Girls,,

My notes,,    Rigleys would have been the Wagon Works,,they had a small Hut they called 'The Club'' vaguely recall it, served beer straight from a Barrel , coats for goals made me laugh,,     ah 'Those were the days my friend''

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

about 30 were watching, ,mainly Girls,,

As you were only 5 at the time I presume they were watching someone else, is the character, looks and style genetic in your family.

• Like 1

Must be Trogg   lol.......remember UJ baby sitting me with many different Girlfriends.....and your old neighbour Donold Starkey......Also remember playing football on Leybourne drive and 'Booeing' when the odd Car held the game up,,

• Like 1