Uncle John's scrapbook - Forest in 3rd Div south

15 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

No mate all houses now, not moved far though, and still near the railway/tram lines, entrance off bagnal road,grenich avenue,

That's the place I was referring to; we've each described it from opposite sides. This is the place - and the pitch - with the "old" stand marked on the left.

Xbkn8wU.jpg

For reference, the arrow at the top is the railway bridge at Northern Baths. Note also the coal train going north.

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My late Uncle John made a srapbook about football.......mostly old pictures of forest matches.....1949/50.........but also in his own writing,,comments on the teams,,he also wrote about a team they fo

I'm interested!

The book is now literally disintegrating in my hands, so will place it in a zip-up poly-holder.....unless the family dump it in years to come,someone may find it and enjoy it as I have.          

Blimey,, great picture Cliff-ton,,..........long time ago coal train,, what year do you reckon?

Feb.10th 1951,, Mansfield cup tie against Blackpool, and the wizard of the dribble the one and only Stanley Matthews,

Couple of photos of the action at Bloomfield road,and a report,,attendance 33,060'

Blackpool 2  Mansfield 0,   Blackpool team, Farm, Shimwell, Garrett, Johnston, Hayward, Kelly, Matthews, Mudie, Mortenson, Brown, Perry,,

My notes,     remember 2 years later and the Cup Final at Wembley,known as the Mattews Final,,without looking it up i recall watching it on an Aunts TV, Blackpool 4, Bolton 3, the Blackpool team had some of the above players still in it, Namely       Matthews,,Johnston Captain, George Farm keeper, Jackie Mudie,,Stan Mortenson,,and Bill Perry,,the first black player (south African) to play in a Wembley final.........

23rd September 1950,

Notts county 1  Preston north end  3,        attendance 44,195,

Scorers Simpson Notts,  Wayman,,Morrison,,Quigley,, PNE,   Referee  Mr J.V. Sherloch,,

Notts team   Bradley  Deans  Southwell  Robinson  Leauty  Adamson  Broome  Sewall  Lawton  Simpson  Crookes,,

My note   Wow look at the Attendance,below is a league i'd never heard of called Realm,

Bulwell Forest Villa

Wilford road Athletic

Daykeyne st.old boys

Avro

Arnold rovers

Notts regent

Newthorpe united

Dale villa

Perry rangers

Hendon rise

Basford hall

Notts casuals

Cotgrave

Group 61,

6th September 1950,

Forest 4  Plymouth  1            scorers Dougll OG,,Collindridge,,Leverton,,Gager pen. for Forest,,Dews for Plymouth,

two action photos of  Leverton and Collindridge scoring,

My note   Odd to think that 20 odd years later Tot Leverton would be running rings round me on Vernon Park...........

All this in Uncle Johns writing,

Cup final Wembley

Arsenal  2         Liverpool  0

date 29th April 1950,,scorer Lewis both goals.

Arsenal team

Swindon

Scott                                  Barnes

Forbes                  Compton l.          Mercer

Cox                      Logie                            Goring                       Lewis           Compton D.

Liverpool  team

Sidlow

Lambert                                Spicer

Taylor                        Hughes           Jones

Payne                  Baron                       Stubbins               Fagan            Liddell

My notes,, remember most of these players.......George Swindon Arsenal keeper for many years,  Wally Barnes  Wales Captain,  the Compton bros, great cricketers, Joe Mercer who went on to be a very good Manager,          remember 2 of the Liverpool players against Forest couple of years later,,Lambert the full back and Billy Liddell a great Scottish winger,, and i think the Fagan was Joe,who managed Liverpool after Shankly...............

More notes from Uncle John,, sometime in 1952,

Ten Rangers players turned up for Training run,,all had new Tracksuits,,Started on Southglade,,over 7 fields and into Bestwood Village..........returned by way of Hucknall road by the Common,,should be fit for Saturday game against Bulwell Baptist's.........

My notes     i recall them all meeting on Southglade,,         7 fields were the space between Old Bestwood estate and Bestwood village ,which later became Top Valley and Rise Park.......in later times about 1956 our school team did the same run,.....

• Like 2
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

7 fields were the space between Old Bestwood estate and Bestwood village ,which later became Top Valley and Rise Park.......in later times about 1956 our school team did the same run,.....

I think there's a photo of that area (before building) in another thread   https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/16020-minutiae-bulwell-common-and-more/?tab=comments#comment-503273   (scroll down a bit)

• Like 1

Just to show what an avid supporter of Local football UC was ive included the following,again in his own writing,, think 1950,

First round proper,

Linby Colliery  3,  Nuneaton  1,     Linby team........Thornley  Williams  Tabberer  Braddow  Severn  Drury  Sinclair  Lummus  Dulson  Coleman  Ward,

Accompanied by 2 photos of the action,

My note,,    be nice to think any relatives of these players see this on the forum in years to come,,

Another page in UC's writing,

Champions Forest reserves  3,    runners-up  Grimsby reserves  1,      6th May 1950 at City Ground,

Forest res. team,  Platts  Hutchinson  Clarke  Lindley  Rowson  Knight  Linaker  Kaile  Ashman  Mitchell  Kirk,,

plus Photos Forest team and 2 action shots

The book is now literally disintegrating in my hands, so will place it in a zip-up poly-holder.....unless the family dump it in years to come,someone may find it and enjoy it as I have.

Hope some of you have been interested, I feel I have immortalised my Uncle John a little bit,,must admit its given me a lot of pleasure sharing with you,also got a bit tearful at times,,like to think he's been watching my little efforts from the great 'Football' stand in the sky'   thanks for reading.......

• Like 4