• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just found your site and I’m posting on behalf of my mother who lived at 1 Asper Street, corner of Dunstan Road. In your posting you refer to Old Mother Lacey who kids believed was a witch. She was my

Strange co-incidence ,  whilst having a coffee in our local Wetherspoons 2 days ago , got talking to a couple we have known by sight for many years , . They were customers in our old shop and since re

97, Dunstan Street, Netherfield, Nottingham, the place of my childhood. Living at 95 were the 'Hooper's' and at 99 the 'Williams's'. This was a council house, one of two separated blocks of 4 on that

There is one thing you can't find on picture the past, a photograph of Palm Street or Palm Villas. All that they have is waste ground and a lamp post.  I have tried every avenue (including yourself) and nothing comes up.   As has been said before on this forum if Cliff Ton can't find it, it aint there.    Gem

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

I had a pal that lived on Curzon Street in the 50s.  I don't recall any stores along the street, just at the intersection with Victoria rd. 

There was Read's bike shop on that corner. He entually grew pretty big and took up quite a few of the shops there.  Across the street from him was a small grocery shop if I remember rightly.  Most of the shops were on Victoria road.

• 3 months later...

Strange co-incidence ,  whilst having a coffee in our local Wetherspoons 2 days ago , got talking to a couple we have known by sight for many years , . They were customers in our old shop and since retirement often bump into them on days out etc.

Turns out that the chaps mum was a land girl during the war and was sent to Cornwall to work and when he found out we were Nott'm born told us his mum had lived on Carlton Hill . She married a Cornish man and never went back 

From the info he gave , I worked out that in 1939 , her family were actually living on Standhill Road .  Her dad was a manager at Wrights and Dobsons dyers , Carlton Road . 

However before that , her grand-parents lived on Curzon Street , Netherfield , number 78 in 1901 and number 193 in 1911 .

Leaving myself open to puns here but the family name was quite unusual .....so ...... anyone know any Parrotts from Carlton/Netherfield ? 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

Grew up on Chandos St. Dad always took us to the BRSA club,now a KFC.Great reading this post. we moved to Ashwell St school house when Dad became the caretaker. also played in the Ouse Dyke and around the sidings just about when it was all demolished.Same Doctors too.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just found your site and I’m posting on behalf of my mother who lived at 1 Asper Street, corner of Dunstan Road. In your posting you refer to Old Mother Lacey who kids believed was a witch. She was my great grandmother.

My mother, Joyce Hilda Mary Leaper (now Baker), her brother Ronald Leaper and their sister Doreen Leaper were brought up my Fred and Alice Lacey in Asper Street after the death of their father in 1930 and their mother in 1933. Joyce and Ron are still alive at 90 and 95. Doreen died in her thirties.  Mrs & Mrs Lacey had 13 children, and lost three of them at various times and ages. Fred used to make sweets and repair shoes. My mother said he spent hours standing in the doorway smoking his pipe wearing a brown overall. I have photos of both of them. They were strict but fair.

My mother, born in 1930, went to Ashwell Street School and came home for dinners. She remembers waiting for the lamplighter to light the street lamps each night. GOing to bed with a candle and cockroaches scrabbling over the floors. She remembers hot faggots on a Friday and bread and dripping for tea. I remember meeting Alice Lacey as she lay in bed a few months before she died. Fred had died in his 70s 3-4 years previously. I was almost 4yo and she seemed scary then. She put a 6p in my hand. My mother said 1 Asper Street used to be a chip shop but the Lacey’s lived there for years with their children after moving from The Park. 

I gather sister Doreen was a bit wayward and a handful. she died in Blackpool. Ron still lives in Nottingham, my mother now lives in Weymouth but at 90 she has clear memories of Carlton and family. If anyone does remember the family living in Asper Street, or has any recollections of them please let me know. My mother would love to hear them.

• Like 7

A friend of mine had an older brother who lived at 125 Dunstan Street just round the corner from Asper Street. In the late sixties we used to go to his house,  I can remember the chip shop on the corner with all the fittings, but can't remember it being open.

• 2 years later...

I assume the comment about Charlie Bright/Pepper is referring to these two posts from 13+ years ago.

On 8/27/2010 at 10:59 PM, loppylugs said:

Remember an old feller by the name of Charley Pepper. He used to keep pigs down near the second crossing, near Deabill Streat. Used to ride a bike pulling a trailer of Pig swill. Always seemed to have a shout and wave to everybody.

Also remember a tiny grocery shop on the corner of Deabill Street and Norman / Hodgkinson street. Owner's name was key. That store was so small he used to peer out of a small hole made through all the cans of stuff to serve a customer. Not sure how they shoehorned him in there.

On 8/28/2010 at 9:50 AM, piggy and babs said:

REMEMBER KEYS WELL DAVE AND CHARLIE PEPPER.CAN YOU REMEMBER TOM TULLY ALSO KEPT PIGS UP ON THESE ALOTMENTS COLLECTED THE SWILL FROM OUR END OF NETHERFIELD.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone remember Thomas Pearson Cabinet Makers at the bottom of Manvers Street?  Was originally a Victorian School.  I worked as a Cabinet Maker there from 1984 until 1990 loved every second of it, was a great job, did not get paid allot however I learned my craft and am thankful to John Pearson who gave me the job as a trainee when I was just 16.  Loved working in Netherfield.  Went back there two weeks ago as I was passing through, wow it has changed so much.