• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just found your site and I’m posting on behalf of my mother who lived at 1 Asper Street, corner of Dunstan Road. In your posting you refer to Old Mother Lacey who kids believed was a witch. She was my

Strange co-incidence ,  whilst having a coffee in our local Wetherspoons 2 days ago , got talking to a couple we have known by sight for many years , . They were customers in our old shop and since re

97, Dunstan Street, Netherfield, Nottingham, the place of my childhood. Living at 95 were the 'Hooper's' and at 99 the 'Williams's'. This was a council house, one of two separated blocks of 4 on that

the front was originally co op grocery depment shop as duggieb sez assessto the theatre / ballroom was from dennis st next to big arched gates that took you to the back of the shop were all the deliveries went in also a coal yard in there double green doors at st level then as you got inside wide steps that went round in three lots of steps with big landings then when you got to the top double doors into the big hall at the other end shop side of the room was a stage with two small dressing rooms on divi day i think it was every six months but it could have been yearly. desks were set up all down the left hand side i think you went to the desk that had your sir name initial ie a to d e to h ect and quewed for you divi gave your name and divi number and they looked into the book to see how much you were due back.

i never went to youth club there but my elder sisters did by the time i was 13 it had moved to scout hut on dunston st we moved to carlton just after my 13th but i used to come down to youth club on 26 bus and go home on 10pm bus back home if one of the biker lads did not give me a lift up home.stan alison took me one night when i missed my bus lew dunworth lived on debil st and he would often drop me of home he latter became a teacher at aswell st after going off to university.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

we used to walk down stoke lane to the river as it was a lovely day out,knew walter the railway man ,he lived in the big railway house at stoke lane crossing,and his wife cannot remember her name but when walter was working she got up in the night to shut and open the crossing gates,as the trains went through she came from the falklands,i tnink they had about 5 children,walter had a big garden at the back of his house and would give us fruit off the trees,i did see himabout 20 years ago he was selling second hand items from a unit in the old closed down wholesale fruit market on bath street,its a small worls someone will know him,his other mate was ray old railway man,they used to go in the BRSA club at netherfield and ray could easily knock back twenty pints in one night

• 4 months later...

what a shame if netherfield were to loose its only pub but a good price for aproperty of that size good size bars and living acomidation and a terific back yard, make a great private club back yard would make good car parking space.

spent many a nice evening in that back yard and it was safe too gates were always kept locked so you could only get out via the bars so you had to go out with an adult and as every one knew one another you could not go off on your own think in later years the long alley skittle area was made into a kids and perents room.

• 1 month later...

any one remember the factorys in cowlick spray an burges lawrences George sands dad worked there

Robert an Windsor supplied soap to the queen

have memories of a plane crash in cowlick about 1957 58 just missed our school

rumours of finding body parts for days it was all farmland till early 60 s

malloneys farm many happy memories

• Upvote 1

Heres the video footage from the news report of the crash at Colwick . Unfortunately no sound .

http://www.macearchive.org/Archive/Title/midlands-news-16011958-plane-crash-at-nottingham/MediaEntry/2327.html

Lots of Shops & Youth Clubs have been mentioned in Netherfield. Two places I remember are Walkers shop, which stayed open fairly late, sold a bit of everything, Sweets, Puncture Outfits, Torches, you name it, it was there. Located about opposite the church a couple or so streets up from Chandos St. The other place I remember was I believe Forester St Youth Club which was in a Chapel & run by a 'Coal Merchant' named Wilf White. Super club which had to close because of complaints of noise from Forester St residence. It moved to a large house & factory unit on Conway Rd opposite the Bowling greens then moved again to Sis & Harry Mussons old Snooker Hall on Burton Road changing its name to GAYE Club, (that stood for Gala Association of Youth -something - probably - Education). The building is now a Boxing Club. In more recent times I never told anyone I went to the GAYE club.

Hi Bazalways,

The Gaye club you have mentioned could be the same one that i went to in the early 1960s, it was almost opposite the Ritz cinema on Burton Road. You will find that quite a few people on Nottstalga went to the Gaye Cafe as we called it.

THINK IF YOU LIVED CARLTON NETHERFIELD GEDLING AREA AT SOME POINT YOU TRYED GAYE CAFE ALTHOUGH I AVOIDED IT IF I COULD MY OLDER BROTHER WENT THERE A LOT. SO STAYEDAWAY AS MUCH AS POS SAME WITH ROYAL OAK.

WARDY CAN YOU REMEMBER THE BIG OLD SHIRE HORSE AT MALONEYS FARM KIT USED TO BELONG TO OUR OLD MILK MAN FRANK RECOND IT WAS 40 YEARS OLD MY FRIEND FRANCINE LANG USED TO GIVE RIDING LESSONS THERE TOO BILLY WAS ONE OF HER PONIES .

I WAS AT SCHOOL IN NETHERFIELD WHEN THE PLAIN WENT DOWN SAW IT AND HEARED IT FROM OUR PLAYGROUND WE WERE ALL SENT HOME EARLY BECAUSE OF ALL THE NOISE FROM THE AMBULANCE POLICE AND FIRE ENGINES GOING BY PLUS THE BACKLOG OFTRAFFIC ALL OVER NETHERFIELD

• 2 weeks later...

maloneys delivered milk round cowlick susan an steven were my age used to play on the farm

with them cant remember the horse did Francine live off douglas ave

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I also used to play on the farm with Susan and Steven, Steven think was a year younger than me, Jim was their father, he was a regular at the vale social Club as were my parents, I was in Colwick school about five years old when the plane crashed over cowlick School, a lady who's name was Collis was killed in the canteen of Spray & burgess !.

• Upvote 2