My brother pointed me in the direction of this website. I went to St Johns C of E on Vale Road, Colwick from 1953 to 1959 and then to Carlton le Willows. I distinctly remember the day planes collided, we were in the playground of the then St Johns school and watched bits of planes coming down. We used to live on Trent Hills Farm, next door to RAF Syreston, so I was always interested in planes. The area of scatter of the debris was quite large, bits dropped between a couple of houses on Vale Rd and the Coop somewhere near the top of Douglas Avenue across the railway line behind the school. Rumours of body parts on the settling ponds that belonged to the sugar factory. We lived on First Avenue in those days. Our parents moved to Manchester in 1967. Though we still drive through Colwick and Netherfield from time to time and somewhere I have a membership card for the Vale Social Club. There are no pubs within the parish boundary of Colwick. The Vale Social Club as a private members club was a way around this restriction. Our Dad used to go in at the weekend for a pint and Jim Maloney used to frequent the place too. No chance of us going in for a beer because everyone knew who you were and how old you were!! At one time as kids we used to go fishing in the gravel pits and the Trent with a man from Netherfield who was All England Coarse Fishing Champion in 1955. His name has slipped from my mind- was it Ron Lye?? Anyway he had us kids lined up on the bank, we all followed his guidance, he caught big bream, roach and we had only gudgeon for our efforts! Sledging in Colwick Woods! A proper winter every year! There was Mile Run and 'Death Run', very steep at the top and very fast! Sledges made from conduit tubing and wooden platforms (because the Witham brothers Dad was chief electrician at the sugar factory and there was always a supply of these vital materials!) Bonfire night on Colwick was great, we seemed to spent weeks beforehand getting our hands on every tree, branch, wooden fence, old furniture we could! Now the Colwick Loop round goes through the field we used to use. Happy Days!!

• Upvote 13
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just found your site and I’m posting on behalf of my mother who lived at 1 Asper Street, corner of Dunstan Road. In your posting you refer to Old Mother Lacey who kids believed was a witch. She was my

Strange co-incidence ,  whilst having a coffee in our local Wetherspoons 2 days ago , got talking to a couple we have known by sight for many years , . They were customers in our old shop and since re

97, Dunstan Street, Netherfield, Nottingham, the place of my childhood. Living at 95 were the 'Hooper's' and at 99 the 'Williams's'. This was a council house, one of two separated blocks of 4 on that

hi piat I went to st johns 55 to 61 knew pete an tosh witham played footy an cricket with them

pete was a sparky not seen them must be 40 yrs you go skating on the loop 62 63 happy days allright

• Upvote 1

Hello Piat, nice to read you went to C le W, although our paths would probably not have crossed as I started there in 1954 when it first opened. You would have been a little first year when I was swanning around in the 6th form!! lol Also it's good to read your memories of the area, although I lived further away in Woodthorpe.

Welcome to Nottstalgia Porky and Piat.

Piat ...... I knew you at Carlton-le-Willows and we also met at a couple of reunions, I was a year or two below you but remember Chris Stables being Head Boy. On one occasion I gave you and Dai Roberts a lift to Westdale Tavern after the reunion that was held in the school buildings, so you could continue your reminiscences with him! So sad to hear of Dai's passing, such a big character.

Hope you will enjoy Nòttstalgia, but beware, it becomes addictive.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

maloneys delivered milk round cowlick susan an steven were my age used to play on the farm

with them cant remember the horse did Francine live off douglas ave

hi i also played with steve. francine better known as frank lived on greenwood rd off douglas ave. her horse was called spot. billy the horse was owned i think by Josephine better known as joe, I know she had a horse just not sure of the name

My brother pointed me in the direction of this website. I went to St Johns C of E on Vale Road, Colwick from 1953 to 1959 and then to Carlton le Willows. I distinctly remember the day planes collided, we were in the playground of the then St Johns school and watched bits of planes coming down. We used to live on Trent Hills Farm, next door to RAF Syreston, so I was always interested in planes. The area of scatter of the debris was quite large, bits dropped between a couple of houses on Vale Rd and the Coop somewhere near the top of Douglas Avenue across the railway line behind the school. Rumours of body parts on the settling ponds that belonged to the sugar factory. We lived on First Avenue in those days. Our parents moved to Manchester in 1967. Though we still drive through Colwick and Netherfield from time to time and somewhere I have a membership card for the Vale Social Club. There are no pubs within the parish boundary of Colwick. The Vale Social Club as a private members club was a way around this restriction. Our Dad used to go in at the weekend for a pint and Jim Maloney used to frequent the place too. No chance of us going in for a beer because everyone knew who you were and how old you were!! At one time as kids we used to go fishing in the gravel pits and the Trent with a man from Netherfield who was All England Coarse Fishing Champion in 1955. His name has slipped from my mind- was it Ron Lye?? Anyway he had us kids lined up on the bank, we all followed his guidance, he caught big bream, roach and we had only gudgeon for our efforts! Sledging in Colwick Woods! A proper winter every year! There was Mile Run and 'Death Run', very steep at the top and very fast! Sledges made from conduit tubing and wooden platforms (because the Witham brothers Dad was chief electrician at the sugar factory and there was always a supply of these vital materials!) Bonfire night on Colwick was great, we seemed to spent weeks beforehand getting our hands on every tree, branch, wooden fence, old furniture we could! Now the Colwick Loop round goes through the field we used to use. Happy Days!!

Hi Pait...I remember sledging down mile run but not sure where death run is. We to sledge down the path just over iron bridge colwick on the right that went up thru the woods to Oke dale rd at the top. Now that was very fast and twisty all the way down and you lucky to make all the way. As for bonfire night we all collected rubbish from any ware we could get it tree from the woods, old mattress, furniture nobody wanted, tyres, any other bonfire we could raid and made the biggest bonfire we could. We built our bonfire on the allotments at the end of the gardens were I was born and lived on vale rd. There are factories there now. Can’t think of the field were you said your bonfire was unless you meant the allotments but as you say Happy Memories.

When I was a kid growing up in colwick there were few shops, 2 up near the church, 2 in the centre and 2 down other end near balmorale Rd. does any body remember going to the shop and asking “ave yea got any broken biscuits” in those days biscuits came loose in large metal square tins and a lot got broke. So the shop keeper unable to sell them used to give bags of broken biscuits to any kid that came and asked. Always had to say please and thank you

• Upvote 1

My sister lived on Netherfield in 1966 after she got married......she lived on Hodgkinson Street.....

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the first post in this thread was great - really took me back to a very happy child hood in Cowlick, and then the follow ups with all the memories.

I was born and lived on First Ave until mid 1960s.

So sad to hear about Steve Maloney.

Something that puzzling me....when I lived there the address was OLD Cowlick not just Cowlick as it is now.I wonder what happened to the "OLD"?

Nipper - I recall the name from cricket on the rec, I was a lot younger than the rest of you and was always long stop. The shops were Mrs Deans and Parkinsons near church and the Allsops and ?? down Vale road just passed school.

Spent a lot of time playing on Maloneys farm.. Does any one remember the old steel tanks and vessels in the paddock by the footpath to the park?

Francine's horse was white [ish] and called "Spot" I think - i fell off him several times and got a kick in the jaw from him when he went nuts in the yard.

The first ave bonfire was on land behind Ma lessons orchard [scrumping :))) ] just of footpath before little bridge over ditch [ which i presume is under loop road.

Went to St Johns infants - Mr Brown the head, Mrs Crisp gave me a smack first day of school for not stopping chasing the girls, Mrs Wellum ? Mrs Salt? .....Mr Appleton the care taker....

Thanks for triggering the memories!

• Upvote 2

I thought the first post in this thread was great - really took me back to a very happy child hood in Cowlick, and then the follow ups with all the memories.

I was born and lived on First Ave until mid 1960s.

So sad to hear about Steve Maloney.

Something that puzzling me....when I lived there the address was OLD Cowlick not just Cowlick as it is now.I wonder what happened to the "OLD"?

Nipper - I recall the name from cricket on the rec, I was a lot younger than the rest of you and was always long stop. The shops were Mrs Deans and Parkinsons near church and the Allsops and ?? down Vale road just passed school.

Spent a lot of time playing on Maloneys farm.. Does any one remember the old steel tanks and vessels in the paddock by the footpath to the park?

Francine's horse was white [ish] and called "Spot" I think - i fell off him several times and got a kick in the jaw from him when he went nuts in the yard.

The first ave bonfire was on land behind Ma lessons orchard [scrumping :))) ] just of footpath before little bridge over ditch [ which i presume is under loop road.

Went to St Johns infants - Mr Brown the head, Mrs Crisp gave me a smack first day of school for not stopping chasing the girls, Mrs Wellum ? Mrs Salt? .....Mr Appleton the care taker....

Thanks for triggering the memories!

Welcome zigzag…I was born in colwick on vale rd..I new some on 1st ave a polish family up near the foot path Sheila Watson lived next to the waste ground at top and a few others that names elude me. Old colwick was the main rd through colwick and new vale road was opposite the church with Deans on the corner. Johnny Boynton lived down there he gave me my nick name nipper which I still have today. Parkinson’s shop was a bit farther along than allsops just a few houses between them. Steel tanks on the field next to the paddock we called the barrel field and used to jump from one to the other playing dobby. They got red hot on hot suuny days. Funny nobody else seems to remember them. When I went to st Johns school Mr Porter was the head latter when he retired Mr. Brown who taught us to right in italic writing which didn’t go well when I went to chandos. Mrs Crisp had me when I first started then retired. She gave a leaving party at her house near the forest in town for her class she taught. Miss may replaced her (very young) I was in love

• Upvote 2

well Nipper I am from that Polish family! I was the youngest, Piat in earlier post is my elder brother, you would probably have known him as "Voisha" [ or however you would have spelt it] - Dobby, and jumping across the tanks theres another memory.....fell off them more times than off  spot the horse and had my first tin of baked beans on an open fire in barrel field.remember being put inside a barrel and it being rolled along....
The Bon Fire waste ground was not the bit at side of watsons [ though we did have some there as well as at bottom of the Ave] . it was to right of footpath leading to barrel field and farm at back of houses of the Ave.
you are right about Parkinsons......and then there was Duckmantons [?] up at far end. I remember Boyntons  [also Roland?] and Pindard family down new vale road. happy days - I still pass through Cowlick whenever possible, changed so much but still gives me a nice feeling inside
  • Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

I I lived on Vale Road (125) until I was Seven, Split my head open one day as they used to say and was taken to hospital by Mr's Parkinson who owned one of the few cars on the road. Remember another owner of that shop called Clarke, had a daughter called Lesley. I lived there from 1952 to 1957. There was also a farming family called North who had a farmhouse near the Sugar Beet Works

• 2 months later...

When I went there Lizzie the headmistress was a Miss Brown.  Teachers:  Mrs. Cook, Miss Grey,  Miss Rawson.  Mrs. Foster, Miss Groves and Mrs. Paine.  She knew how to inflict it too.  Clobbered me one just because I asked if we could read a story. 

Started in 1950 then moved over to the juniors under Mr. Jury.  Mrs Lazenby !!!! tough as nails.  Mr. Fletcher.  Left in 1956 to go to Chandos Academy.  Enuff said abaht that an all.  I posted my feelings about that place elsewhere on NS.  :angry:

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A bit of Netherfield's prewar history. There used to be a cycle shop at 36 Meadow rd until recently run by Henry Lloyd. He and a few friends started up the Nottingham Clarion cycle club in the 1930s. It's still going but nowhere near as big as at the begining.

A website is nottinghamclarion.co.uk and if you navigate to "about the club" and then to "club history" it's all there.