Never heard of Tom Tulley, Babs.

Wonder what happened to Key's shop. I assume he retired or died.

Last time I looked on Google Earth it looked as though the shop was shuttered up.

All the houses in Hodgkinson street. (My old street) Now stuccoed sure looks different. Probably sell for multi thousands now. My folks rented number 15 for about 8 shillings a week if my memory serves me well enough. Always remember the rent man coming to call each week.

Mostly railway men on that street when I was kid.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just found your site and I’m posting on behalf of my mother who lived at 1 Asper Street, corner of Dunstan Road. In your posting you refer to Old Mother Lacey who kids believed was a witch. She was my

Strange co-incidence ,  whilst having a coffee in our local Wetherspoons 2 days ago , got talking to a couple we have known by sight for many years , . They were customers in our old shop and since re

97, Dunstan Street, Netherfield, Nottingham, the place of my childhood. Living at 95 were the 'Hooper's' and at 99 the 'Williams's'. This was a council house, one of two separated blocks of 4 on that

WELL HELLO AND WELLCOME DAVE. HERE ARE A FEW NETHERFIELD CARECTERS YOU MAY OR MAY NOT REMEMBER

RONNIE BEE LIVED ON MANVERSE ST HAD LEARNING DIFFICULTIES AND AS A CHILD COULD BE QUITE A FRIEGHTNING CARECTER WHEN HE WAS YOUNG HE WAS ALWAYS DRIBBLING UNTIL HE HAD A BIG OPPERATION ON HIS MOUTH TO HELP HIM WITH THIS . BUT HE WAS REALLY QUITE A FRIENDLY YOUNG MAN LAST TIME I SAW HIM HE WAS IN THE FERRY BOAT AT STOKE BARDOLPH HAVING A DRINK BEFORE CYCLING BACK TO NETHERFIELD.

THEN THERE WAS EILEEN TIDY LIVED WITH HER OLD MUM NEXT TO JACKIE BELLS FIELD SHE ALSO HAD SOME LEARNIN DIFFICULTIES.

SOS PARNHAM LIVED ON GODFREY ST OLDEST OF A VERY LARGE FAMILY ALSO HAD LEARNING DIFFICULTIES HAVE NOT SEEN HIM FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS NOW BUT LAST TIME WE SAW HIM WAS AT AN OPEN DAY IN NETHERFIELD AND HE WAS STILL LIVING IN NETHERFIELD ON BOURNES ST LOOKING AFTER HIS VERY ELDERLY MUM WHO IS NOW WELL INTO HER NINETIESAND MAKING A GOOD JOB OF IT TOO WHEN HE SAW US THERE WE WERE TOLD WE COULD NOT LEAVE UNTILL HE GOT BACK OFF HE WENT AND A LITTLE WHILE LATER WAS BACK WITH MUM IN HER WHEELCHAIR BECAUSE HE WANTED US TO SEE HER AND HER TO SEE US AGAIN AS FAR AS WE KNOW SHE IS STILL ALIVE HE WAS A REAL CARECTER WHEN HE WAS YOUNG WOULD DO ANYTHING TO GET A DRINK COLLECT GLASSES COLLECT LEAD NOT ALWAYS LEGALY COLLECT RAGS AND TAKE THEM DOWN TO TRICKETS TO WEIGH THEM IN BUT ONCE HE HAD HAD TOO MUCH TO DRINK HE COULD GET A BIT NASTY AND ALWAYS ENDED UP GETTING HIMSELF INTO TROUBLE . THEN THERE WAS THE LADY WHO LIVED ON CURSON OR DUNSTON ST CAN NOT REMEMBER HER NAME WHO WAS A RELIGIOS MANIC AS THEY USED TO CALL HER IT WOUD TAKE HER OVER AN HOUR TO GET PAST ST GEORGES CHURCH EVERY TIME SHE WENT SHOPPING AS SHE WAS ALWAYS CROSSING HERSELF KNEELING AND SAYING PRYERS AS SHE WENT PAST THE CHURCH AS KIDS WE WOULD ALL MAKE FUN OF HER .BUT WE DID NOT REALLY UNDERSTAND HER OR HER CONDITION AT THE TIME .

CAN ANY OF YOU REMEMBER MR HILL THE ONLY BLACK MAN WHO LIVED IN NETHERFIELD AT THE TIME ALSO LIVED ON GODFREY ST HE LOST HIS LEG OR COULD HAVE BEEN BOTH LEGS IN AN ACCCIDENT ON THE RAILWAYS USED TO BE PUSHED UP TO THE SEATS NEAR JACKIE BELLS FIELD IN THE OLD BIG BLACK WHEELCHAIR WITH A HOOD LIKE A PRAM IN FINE WEATHER WERE HE WOULD SIT FOR HOURS AND TALK TO THE RAILWAYMEN AS THEY WERE GOING BACK AND FORWARD TO WORK WOULD ALSO TALK TO THE CHILDREN AS THEY CAME BACK FROM SCHOOL. HIS DAUGHTER SYLVIA CAME FROM JAMACIA WITH HER TWIN DAUGHTERS PENOLOPE AND TELIATHA TO COME AND LOOK AFTER HIM AS HE GOT ILL I USED TO CALL THEM PENNY AND TUPENCE AND WOULD OFEN GO AND CALL FOR THEM TO COME OUT TO PLAY AND ASK FOR PENNY AND TUPENCE SYLVIA AND MR HILL WOULD ALWAYS LAUGH AT ME AS AT THE TIME I COULD NOT SAY THERE CORRECT NAMES.

SO THERE ARE A FEW TO BE JOGGING YOUR MEMORIES WITH DONT KNOW IF ANY OF YOU WILL REMEMBER ANY OF THESE PEOPLE BUT IT HAS BROUGHT BACK MEMORIES FOR ME. I KNOW THAT SOME OF YOU REMEMBER SOS BECAUSE OF AN EARLIER POST. BUT NOT SURE ABOUT THE OTHERS.

Thanks for you reminding me, I now well remember Ronnie Bee, Eileen Tidy and SOS Parnham (one hell of a character, always on his bike). The lady lived on Curzon Street almost opposite me (back to back). She regularly opened her bedroom window during the night and wake the neighbourhood with her religious rantings. I can't remember Mr Hill, the only black man I knew as a child was a Mr Fido.

Remember Mr. Hill quite well. Didn't know that was his name but he was the only black guy a kid my age had ever seen except at the movies. He was often sitting there when I walked home from school. Friendly old guy as I remember.

Also remember the Tidy ladies. They were quite active in the Trinity Methodist church at that time. Lived right across from the church if I remember rightly.

Don't remember the religious lady. Must have been before or after my time I suppose.

Sure has changed since that Colwick loop road went in. I remember my folks talking about it when I was a kid. My grandfather and an uncle had allotments where it now runs. Produced all the veggies and Blackberries we could eat. A number of Netherfield folks had allotments there.

Going back to fishing tackle shops, I remember the one in the pet shop on Garnet street. I remember standing there thinking "One day I'm going to have one of those, and those, and those" ad infinitum!! It later moved to Victoria street , becoming "Victoria Tacle" just down from the (Now Defunct) Co oP

Many years later I was able to afford it all, and it is now sat in my shed gathering dust (And mildew) as I haven't been coarse fishing since 2008 and Sea fishing since last October (IMMSC)!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My Mothers family come from Netho and i spent my childhood there, my Grandparents lived on Chandos Street and we were on Wallet Street. Two things will always stick in my mind about some of the capers we got up to. One of our little gang members Dad used to work in the slaughter house and we'd go and see him to get some chickens feet off him. We'd run up and down the Streets for hours with our sleeves pulled over our hands which were holding the feet and pulling on the tendons which would make the toes do a gripping motion and then when we got bored of that it was off to our other haunt. This was the sharp bend on Victoria Street where Chandos Street met it. There we'd stand and wait for a lorry to go around the bend full of sugar beet on its way to the sugar factory on the Colwick estate. Without fail you could gaurantee some falling off as it came by, then it was a mad dash to pick em up before they were squashed by another lorry/car. These were took home for one of our mothers to wash and cut into slices for us, its a wonder i've got any teeth left. Good times indeed.

Rob.

• 1 month later...

Well Dunstan Street wasn't like this is my day.

Extracted from the Nottingham Evening Post

FEARFUL residents were holding talks with police and council chiefs today amid mounting concerns over vigilante action against crime and antisocial behaviour on their street.

There has been a series of incidents in Dunstan Street, in Netherfield, since July.

Lit fireworks were thrown into an occupied car and at a woman walking home from a shop.

Residents also reported a car being set alight and windows being smashed by brick-throwing yobs.

Gedling borough councillor James O'Riordan said: "Residents feel threatened and unsafe in their own homes at the moment. They are fed up and some of them have said they would take matters into their own hands. We really don't want that to happen."

Fellow Notts county councillor and Netherfield resident Barbara Miller said Dunstan Street had become a crime "hot-spot" in recent months.

"Something wants doing. In the last few months it has really deteriorated," she said.

Police are concerned that all incidents in Dunstan Street are not being reported to them.

However, the 40 recorded crimes and incidents of antisocial behaviour in the street between April 1 and September 30 this year are an increase on the 23 incidents over the same period of 2009.

Police are concerned that all incidents in Dunstan Street are not being reported to them.

And so they should be!

Nothing to enter in to their computers?

• 6 months later...

I remember Drs Chisholm and Alexander. I used to live in Carnarvon Street. I also went to Ashwell St Infants. My grandmother used to live opposite the school in Ashwell St too.

My father used to work at Pearson Bros. and my mother worked at the sugar beet factory at Colwick, which has just been demolished I believe.

We had an old black and white tv in those days. It was more like furniture than a tv. It had a thick polished woodgrain cabinet with doors on it to hide the tv which was only tiny by todays standards. I remember some of the old shows too, as you do when you were a kid. I remember the Tingha and Tucker Club with Auntie Jean, and Supercar.

Then Netherfield went out of my life and I found myself in Australia looking at real koalas instead.

I've been back and seen the old house once or twice. Nothing stays the same as it used to though, or maybe it's my memories that fade a little.

We too used to go to the same doctors, Dr Buck was there too. The practice moved to new (Larger and purpose built ) premises on Forester Street in around 1990, the old building is now a vets I believe. I also recall the senior partner is Dr Marsh.

(Why we used to go there from Cavendish Road in Carlton is beyond me !!)

Thanks for the Carnarvon St picture.

Nostalgia beat you to it I'm afraid. I looked around on Google quite some time ago, and I keep looking back every now and then. It's good to see the old place is still standing.

There was always a big black old Humber that was parked on the opposite side of the street. It sat there for ages. I never really knew who owned it at the time. When I went back for a visit many years later, I remember walking back down the street with a camera that had a long lens on it. I wore a green army jumper, and so from a distance it probably looked like I was carrying a gun. I man came up to me and stared talking. He must have been one of the "brave few" who didn't want to get shot. He invited me back into his house on Knight St. It turned out that he was the one who owned the Humber. Now I've forgotten his name.

I lived off Station Road from 75-95.

Local shopping was done at Netherfield.

Remember the shop that sold vrious cheap items, Garfields?

Not too sure that I remember a Garfields. Was that on the same side of the road as the co-op?

I started working for a new guy here in Oz many years ago. He was English and so I asked him where he was from. He said Sherwood. It was that old small world thing happening. Not only that, he said that one of his favourite places to drink was the Green Dragon in Oxton. Oxton is where my family used to live for a long time. The last one to live there died there in the 60s. There are a heap of us in the graveyard at Oxton church, and one of us on the roll of honour inside. The closest one now though lives in Calverton.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

WOW, JUST joined this site. and memories flooding back. My Parents had the Chip shop at top of Deabill Street..can remember The garages, and allotments and pigs, near the railway crossing.We moved to Mablethorpe early 1960's, where they opened a Nursing Home for Ladies Only... Ronnie Bee was actually living here at Mablethorpe till last year, then moved somewhere else...I also remember slaughter -house, and sitting on the wall. watching them take the cows in. didnt realise what they were doing there till I was much older... Yes-- Keys shop on a corner down Deabill Street..oh--- too many things to list. and gonna have a look at more of what folks have put.x

Can any one remember the funny little shop in Netherfield just after the crossing the windows were dirty but you could just make out the cacti on the shelf

I remember this shop, next to crossing gates.The lady lived next door to the chip shop at the top of Deabill Street, and would nip back for more cigs when she ran out , she sold them to the Railway men, on their way to work.

97, Dunstan Street, Netherfield

YOU must have been in my class then...I didn't pass the 11 plus. I answered the questions INCORRECTLY on purpose cos I knew if I passed , I'd have to walk to Carlton e Willows school.. So I opted not to . and failed, so went to Carlton girls instead..not so far to walk., but still far enough..I remember Miss Groves too, I liked her.. Also Mr.Jones the Welsh Headmaster, who taught us all to say *Cumbry am Byth* which meant Wales forever..The names I remember in my class were..Diane Yates,Elaine Smith,Jennifer Chesterman,Sue Furr,Alan Moore,John Goodband,Dennis Wright, John Cook,Alan Dyer,David Button,Margaret Brown,.....some of the girls may be from Secondary school.-Gweneth Duckmanton,Maureen Donovan,oooh.. more another night.need my bed.x

I remember this shop, next to crossing gates.The lady lived next door to the chip shop at the top of Deabill Street, and would nip back for more cigs when she ran out , she sold them to the Railway men, on their way to work.

THIS WAS MRS FORDS SHOP SO AS YOU SAY HER HOUSE WAS NEXT TO YOUR SHOP.

THIS WAS MRS FORDS SHOP SO AS YOU SAY HER HOUSE WAS NEXT TO YOUR SHOP.

THE SHOP KAT WAS ON ABOUT WAS NOT MRS FORDS BUT THE

SHOP JUST OVER TOP CROSSING NEAR THE FOX AND HOUNDS PUB.

KAT AND IHAVE BOTH WROTE SOME OF OUR MEMORIES OF CARLTON GIRLS SCHOOL ON THIS SITE ALONG WITH MY MEMORIES OF NETHERFIELD , THESE CAN BE FOUND ON THE ARNOLD AND CARLTON THREAD IF YOU WISH TO LOOK THEM UP AND ADD YOUR OWN MEMORIES.

Garfields on Victoria road?

THINK THIS SHOP WAS CALLED GARFINKLES NOT GARFIELDS BUT I COULD BE WRONG DEN THIS WAS WERE THE OLD MAYPOLE SHOP USED TO BE JUST ABOVE BLOORES NEWS AGENTS SHOP.