We used to call it Garfields in Netherfinkle !! That may be where Den got confused ........LOL

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just found your site and I’m posting on behalf of my mother who lived at 1 Asper Street, corner of Dunstan Road. In your posting you refer to Old Mother Lacey who kids believed was a witch. She was my

Strange co-incidence ,  whilst having a coffee in our local Wetherspoons 2 days ago , got talking to a couple we have known by sight for many years , . They were customers in our old shop and since re

97, Dunstan Street, Netherfield, Nottingham, the place of my childhood. Living at 95 were the 'Hooper's' and at 99 the 'Williams's'. This was a council house, one of two separated blocks of 4 on that

YOU must have been in my class then...I didn't pass the 11 plus. I answered the questions INCORRECTLY on purpose cos I knew if I passed , I'd have to walk to Carlton e Willows school.. So I opted not to . and failed, so went to Carlton girls instead..not so far to walk., but still far enough..I remember Miss Groves too, I liked her.. Also Mr.Jones the Welsh Headmaster, who taught us all to say *Cumbry am Byth* which meant Wales forever..The names I remember in my class were..Diane Yates,Elaine Smith,Jennifer Chesterman,Sue Furr,Alan Moore,John Goodband,Dennis Wright, John Cook,Alan Dyer,David Button,Margaret Brown,.....some of the girls may be from Secondary school.-Gweneth Duckmanton,Maureen Donovan,oooh.. more another night.need my bed.x

The headmaster was Mr Jury. A couple more names, Tony Wheatley and John Freeman

• 2 months later...

The pub that was mentioned on burton road .. Would that be what is called Inn for a penny? I used to work there! I used to be fascinated with the photos thats be hung upstairs of what the pub USED to be.. I think there used to be stables once apon a time at the back of it wich is now the beer garden. Any more memories of Gedling? i pretty much grew up in gedling..

It changed around 1980/1

Shippos did a load of them 'up' into these 'fun pubs' The first one being "The Shoulder of Mutton" on the ring road at Basford. Then they did "The Grey Goose in Gedling" , "The Inn for a Penny" and "The Nags Head" on Carlton Hill , probably a load of others , but these were the only ones I frequented, apart from one in Kirkby in Ashfield which was the dopple ganger of the Inn for a Penny inside !! the name of which escapes me , (I've been searching on Google Earth but I think like all the others , with the exception of the 'Penny' and the 'Naggo' it's long gone.)

Mick you might remember the mate of mine who was 'Mine host' there for a while "Richard Fletcher"

He was the one in the cage getting gunged in the Grey Goose one night ! He used to work behind the bar in there. I may be wrong I just thought you knew him.

Ahh the good ol grey goose! .. Its recently been nocked down now, no idea what their doing with the land though, i keep expecting to see it there everytime i go up arnold lane! .. Does anyone remember the 'bikers night' at the goose??

..Also, for 10 points, does anyone know why it was call 'inn for a penny' (Well, the story that went with the name..)

i think a lot of us remember the good old biker nights mondays at the grey goose good night untill we stared getting some daft so ans sos coming from all over racing up and down arnold lane making so much noise that they had to be stopped. spoiling it for every one. my mate mick healey was somtimes the dj up there deadloss disco dead loss as a dj but some great music as mick always sez then and now.

as for inn for a penny there are many stories for this one being that many of the local menused to have card and domino schools around the area and they used to say im in for a penny at the start of games.

i too spent many a happy evening in the gardens of the royal oak as a child and remember the swings and seesaw as well as the avairy and at one time the had a monkey in a cadge as tdd the chesterfield at gedling.

Apparently it was names 'inn for a penny' Because there was a couple of tables that where made with old pennys all over the tops of them ,an old couple were telling me all about it when i worked there, not sure if its true or not.. interesting though!

• 4 weeks later...

My Great Great Grandparents Arthur and Harriet Peck lived at 5 Locomotive Terrence which i believe was right next to the sheds. He worked at colowick depot as a railway wagon repair. His son, my great grandad Ernest also worked at the depot. I have alot of netherfield in me! I was born on Midland Road, oposite carlton station and lived on Harrogate street in the house my other great grandparents brought in 1939. My dad was born and lived for his first 5 years on deabill street, my grandad was born on dunstan street and him and my grandma were married at what was the methodist church on ashwell street ( I still have her wedding dress complete with the veil and accesories.) Granted im a lot younger than most people on this forum, but i would LOVE to be able to go back to Netherfield and see it in its hayday.

• 4 weeks later...

YES I WOULD SOMETIMES LOVE TO GO BACK AND SEE NETHERFIELD AS IT WAS IN THE 50 AND 60S WITH THE COMMUNITY IT USED TO HAVE BUT BETTER HOUSING CONDITIONS I DONT THINK IT DID ME ANY HARM AND TOUGHT ME TO APPRESIATE WHAT I HAVE GOT KNOW.HOWOLD IS YOUR DAD AND WHATS IS FIRST NAME JIMMY. I LIVED ON DEBIL SY FROM 1951 TO 1963.

Frank Rowley and Stan Alison, were in my class at Ashwell Street, still see them around. My mum was a dinner lady in the Infant school, so she was off work when it was school holidays. Higginbothams faggots , yummy yummy we always offered to fetch them, and have a crafty helping out the jug on the way home. I can remember the Co-Op bakery shop, and shoe shop, and the doctors, where the Co-Op sumpermarket is now on Victoria Road. Just round the corner at the top of Chandos street was a sweet shop, we used to meet dad on pay day, and he would buy us a few sweets of our own choice. Opposite was the Baptist church which is still there. I went to Girls Life Brigade there, and made my way up to being a Lance Corparal, we had some great times there and learnt a lot. On the corner of Chandos Street was Copes the butcher with the sawdust on the floor, and next door was Dawsons paper shop. I did a paper round for them to earn a bit of cash, and saved up and bought my Dansette record player, which I was very proud of. I delivered papers down Forester Street, and all the streets leading off and ended up doing the bottom half of Curzon Street leading up to the dike. Sundays we went to the Methodist Church on Victoria Road, always had a nice new dress for the Anniversary. (Devastated when they sold it), and used to spend half of our Sunday School collection on sweets at Walkers, or Bamfords, don't think mum ever new.

Hi babs, how about these songs,always being played on the juke-box at 'Jacks cafe'-

Leader of the pack - Shangrilas

He's a rebel - the Crystals, was this song about the same time,or later? Terry - Twinkle,and the one and only,a hit from the pit,rocker out'a the locker,a blast from the past.

If there's one fing that I like.

it's a burn up on me bike,

a burn up wiv a bird up on me bike.

We meet the other ton up boys at Fred's place every night,

we just drop in to see the birds and somtimes have a bite.

We spend a couple of hours tuning our machines,

in our black leather jackets and oily greasy jeans

Nah' the M1 aint' much fun till ya' try and do a ton, a burn up wiv a bird up on me bike.

Haven't thought about that one in 50 years. Mike Sarne, must be 1962. Mick, it's either this site,or my medication,but look what's happening to me.Digging up the lyrics to a 50 year old song,what next? There you go babs,show piggy he'll get a kick out of it. Bryan

sorry, wrong page, thought I posted it on 60's Nottingham,it is the medication Mick,anyway,Netherfield's not that far and I knew a couple of motorbike lads from Netherfield, back then.------- ramble------ ramble ---------