• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Strange co-incidence ,  whilst having a coffee in our local Wetherspoons 2 days ago , got talking to a couple we have known by sight for many years , . They were customers in our old shop and since re

97, Dunstan Street, Netherfield, Nottingham, the place of my childhood. Living at 95 were the 'Hooper's' and at 99 the 'Williams's'. This was a council house, one of two separated blocks of 4 on that

In 1901 a H Parrott was a church warden at St Georges church Netherfield. Still there 1914.

There is one thing you can't find on picture the past, a photograph of Palm Street or Palm Villas. All that they have is waste ground and a lamp post.  I have tried every avenue (including yourself) and nothing comes up.   As has been said before on this forum if Cliff Ton can't find it, it aint there.    Gem

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

I had a pal that lived on Curzon Street in the 50s.  I don't recall any stores along the street, just at the intersection with Victoria rd. 

There was Read's bike shop on that corner. He entually grew pretty big and took up quite a few of the shops there.  Across the street from him was a small grocery shop if I remember rightly.  Most of the shops were on Victoria road.

• 3 months later...

Strange co-incidence ,  whilst having a coffee in our local Wetherspoons 2 days ago , got talking to a couple we have known by sight for many years , . They were customers in our old shop and since retirement often bump into them on days out etc.

Turns out that the chaps mum was a land girl during the war and was sent to Cornwall to work and when he found out we were Nott'm born told us his mum had lived on Carlton Hill . She married a Cornish man and never went back 

From the info he gave , I worked out that in 1939 , her family were actually living on Standhill Road .  Her dad was a manager at Wrights and Dobsons dyers , Carlton Road . 

However before that , her grand-parents lived on Curzon Street , Netherfield , number 78 in 1901 and number 193 in 1911 .

Leaving myself open to puns here but the family name was quite unusual .....so ...... anyone know any Parrotts from Carlton/Netherfield ? 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

Grew up on Chandos St. Dad always took us to the BRSA club,now a KFC.Great reading this post. we moved to Ashwell St school house when Dad became the caretaker. also played in the Ouse Dyke and around the sidings just about when it was all demolished.Same Doctors too.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...