William Edward Brough made  bicycles at his Vernon Road works,before he started on motorcycles in 1902.He was George Broughs father.The bicycle was marketed under the brand name 'Giant'. This came about because his brother Albert was the tallest man in England at 7 foot seven inches,& was known as the Nottingham Giant in the various travelling shows he appeared in .Has anyone got a Giant bicycle hiding anywhere I would like a photo if one exists.

• Like 1

Giant is available here too. I have seen them in in a cycle shop in Long Eaton. Virtually all bikes now are made in Taiwan.

Thanks Ian,the Willam Brough pic is one I put on the internet.I have just finished an exhaustive history of him and his products.The book is a  limited edition private printing through the Brough Superior Motorcycle Club .  Williams 'Giant' safety bicycle is one of the last loose ends.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

As an adjunct to the above I have just published an A4 170 page book about Willliam Brough, his life, the various tricycles, motorcycles and cars he made,  a private limited printing available only  from me , currently some 40 copies left   . hardback £ 50    , paperback £32 .     uk first class post £8 on both.  Contact me  if interested.

Dave Clark you soon get used to posts going off topic and meandering all over the place, it's part of what makes it interesting. You mention  Brough, someone mistakes it for Borroughs and off we go on a Tarzan trip and that will lead to Johnny Weissmuller which in turn brings up...……………………..