Often was the urge to drink out of town,

Some cracking pubs..which are vanishing or have vanished!

A few watering holes on a typical crawl.img_0006.jpgThe Langham..or Langers we named it..bit worn around the edges but a cracking pint.

Catfan shot rats in here after closing time..honest!..ask him.CNV00150.jpgAfter drooling at the Ibanez guitars in Carlsboro..over to The Radford Arms for a pint of heavy..'The Crystal Chandelier' was a juke box fave..a Castella and a pint..you were the dogs (?)CNV00151.jpgSmiths were'nt bad. Nice Home Ales head...first came in here as a nipper ..me Dad coached fencing further up at St.Pauls Church Hall.img_0007.jpgOver the lights past Morleys Bread Shop and into the Cricket Players..niceing up the dance..with a sound system..A malt beer for me..and a couple of blasts from the chalice!

CNV00138.jpgWe'd stay downstairs in here and catch up with folk we knew. again a cracking jukebox..'Echo Beach 'by Martha & The Muffins got some hammerimg_0017.jpg.The Carlton was a Back Burner or a Game Changer..we might do Rawson St...The Palm Tree..up Duke St.to the Elm Tree on Beech Avenue...( Young legs then.)

img_0019.jpgRoy Whartons...i know!

But the Scotholme was a pub i loved..even before Gerrards..great pint and a chance for some soakage..cheese and onion cobs were a sensation.CNV00127.jpgThe Albany or a final pub on Birkin Avenue was the norm..a stroll to a chinky..sup of Clan Dew and bed.

Such were the great pubs..that side of the city.

Noted recently The Vernon on Waverley St.is now a Sainsburys!

Anyone else?

• Like 1

The Clock was a cracking well run pub when Kenny Denis was gaffa, I was still operating, dropped in a few years ago after Rock & Reggae on the Forest, remember someone greeting me like I was his long lost mate, not a scooby do who it was?

• Like 1

I frequented the Clock in the '60/'70s when I lived nearby. Always was a decent pint in those days.

I made a delivery there about 7 years ago for a builder & the "Clock" still appears to be thriving, nowadays ran by a Jamaican fella.

Another pub nearby was the "Le Grande" at the bottom end of Alfreton Road, good entertainment in the upstairs room & unusually a Mitchel & Butler pub.

Nowadays a Muslim mosque of all places.

• Like 1

Not quite in the Green but close, the Boulevard, a lot of pubs in the seventies had entertainment on, a proper singer/artist or band, not Karaoke singers singing to backing tapes.

• Like 1

So many hostelries have gone from this whole area.

Many Public Houses were from before my time- many of these i was lucky enough to sup in!30996_93f97344.jpgThe Moulders on Bovill St. A place for a Nut Brown with my Gran. and a great springboard for another venuenottingham_ng7_queenshotel2.jpg.This is 1976, The Queens on Alfreton Road- i dated a fine thing who worked at JLMS up the road..served as a meeting place.nottingham_ng7_forestinn.jpgon the opposite corner...a coppers bar in my time, The Forest Inn..a tied Shippos house..now a mini market.nottingham_ng7_windmill2.jpgBuilt on what was originally Windmill St. This place always seemed dated..and the guests smoked owt' bar name brands.nottingham_ng7_marquisofradford.jpgin our Terrys territory here. just down from Machins..one of a few Whitbread houses dotted around..nice Irish in here.nottingham_ng7_alma.jpgAlma Inn and The Spread acted as a changing point..Bentinck Rd..or continue down the hill...Le-_Grand-_Alfreton-_Road-_Hyson-_Green-to here..disliked the Bass house on Thurland St...as i have always been partial to that brand..as Catfan said..now a mosque...yeah?!

• Like 2

NOW!! 

here's a test for you only I would have thought if you came from St Ann's 

Name the pubs with out looking at any book's from the bottom of St Ann's Well Road to the top of St Ann's Well road.

I will start off at the junction of Kilder Rd  bottom of The Wells Rd  first pub The Wesse (Westminister).

• Like 1
8 hours ago, catfan said:

Don't you mean Kildare Road Mary ?

yes sorry for spelling

7 hours ago, IAN123. said:

The Gardeners and The Oliver Cromwell Mary?

The Gardeners was not on St Ann's Well road IAN 123 it was on Wells Road. The Gardeners was built around the early 60s that's if I remember correctly.

Just a few pubs that I remember--- on St Ann's Well Road.

Queen's Arm's

Admiral Dundas

Alfred the Great

Chase Tavern

General Havelock

Cathcart

Scott's Greys

Napoleon 

Fox Hound Inn

Curzon Arm's

Coach Maker 

fancy doing a pub crawl? 

if any member can add to the list please do. 

• Like 1

How about The Garden Gate?  Ian has a photo of it on the Demolished Memories thread, so I suppose I cheated on that one! Just to be pedantic, The Curzon was actually on Curzon Street, not actually on St Anns Well Road, it was on the corner of The Lammas which cut through to Huntingdon St.

Hi Commo

A lot of the pubs in St Ann's Well Rd did not have that address. As  with the door of the pub being on one of the streets/ roads that came off St Ann's Well rd. I think there are only a few with the front entrance on St Ann's Well Rd its self. I see this as a test for us, which pubs front door,s were actually on the St Ann's Well Rd its self?

Which member is willing to take up the challenge?

A great and proud memory to have Commo.

We used to give our patronage to The Elm Tree on Beech Avenue.

Ok..i was a bit punky dresswise..but Dennis on the piano made the gaff fun.

No bother..sarnies brought round at 9..

Actually advertised these pub pianists in Thursdays Post.

• Like 1

The Clinton was one of mum & dads regulars back in the 50s sometimes I would go with them and sit in that small back yard with a packet of Walkers and a Portello, I think it was called.

Had a right dust up in there one night, a bloke spilt his ale over one of the older lady regulars and refused to apologise, dad took him outside and wupped him and when his wife joined in mum did for her. Mum was very upset she had snapped the handle of her best big handbag.

• Like 3

Unfortunately they are both dead now. Both born before the first world war so an entirely mind set to today.

Dad was a gentleman, trilby hat, belted gabardine coat and of course leather gloves. He was also a 6ft 1" 16 stone 'no fat' miner who had served in the Grenadier Guards where they taught him to box. He was a gentle and courteous man to one and all until you crossed him, in Arnold where he came from he was known as a 'one hitter', no one would insult a lady if he was in the room.

Mother was an entirely different kettle of fish. She lost her father in WW1 and had a particularly hard early life and it showed. Generous to a fault but as hard as nag nails if you crossed her, the next time I get a dinner plate broken over my head for saying "bogger" would not be the first and at over 80 she beat a distraction burglar with her walking stick and had him on the floor when the police arrived.

Having survived two world wars and the 1930s depression they were a different breed. Mums first thing was to put food on the table and clothes on your back, everything else came second.

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...

I would often go the other way, from Bobbers Mill Road to the Wheatsheaf, possibly the Nags Head (I swear they have the same carpets to this day) then on to the Whitemoor. Whitemoor is still going.

I recall a small but dapper barman called Jack at the Whitemoor who pulled a perfect pint of Black and Tan. I never drank it anywhere else. 

Timescale? early 1980s.

• 6 months later...