It's about time these so called landlords were licensed and given a strict set of rules to abide by,I know they have to have the gas,electric,water checked by an expert but they should also have some sort of cap put on what they can charge for the shitholes they allow these people to inhabit,it's no wonder they don't look after the places when even the landlord can't be bothered, make these landlords into a business and charge them business rates, make them attend courses on how to look after people who live in their properties and I don't mean a bloody NVQ, I mean a proper qualification where if the property is not upto scratch the tennant will be allowed to withold the rent until it's habitable with safe electrics,gas,water etc and not just the minimum requirement

Rog

• Like 1

As a landlord my answer to the few previous posts is that unless you are a landlord and can speak from experience then you are talking out of your collective arses.

The vast majority I know through various association memberships are perfectly sound but you never hear of the good work they do, it's not news worthy.

Of course there are bad ones just as there are bad tenants but that's no reason to tar all with the same brush.

• Like 7

My wife owns a real estate agency and is a licensed Broker, she manages property for owners, and I can testify some tenants are worse than pigs.
I've given her a hand to "trash out" houses after the tenants were evicted, dog crap in carpets, tons of clothes, bedding etc left behind. We then clean and paint the houses ready for the next pig to rent them.

I have always, when I rented, tried to leave the place as good if not better than when it was let to me.

When I lived in NSW, we had to pay a "bond", usually a months rent plus cleaning money, on top of one months rent on signing a rental lease. The bond was held in Escrow by the NSW government, any interest it earned paid for the bond agency. When a person vacates a property, it is inspected and if clean, your bond is sent to you by mail.

Over here, the usual practice is to check on the prospective tenants credit rating, or if possible to get a reference.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

NSW sounds similar to here Ayeup.  We also have to check they have 'the right to rent' i.e. what is their immigration status and are they in the country legally. Failure to do this can lead to an unlimited fine or even prison.

• Like 1

It's been 30 years this year since I left Oz, but I don't recall anyone asking me my immigration status, they did require my employers address and phone number though, and that would be proof of residential status.

I'd like to see illegals this side of the pond denied housing, no government handouts, only emergency medical and make it known that if you enter the US illegally, you will be deported and banned for life from entering the US.

One company was fined $60 million last year for constantly breaking immigration laws, they didn't appeal because of their past record.

Remove the incentives and they will not leave their countries.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Is there only immigrants that rent these places then? are you afraid to rent to British people because they know their rights unlike the immigrant who relies on the British being honest helpful people that they have been told in their own country before they leave to come to this land of milk and honey and "false promises", my next door neighbour rents from an agency and he has waited six months to have his oven door repaired which was broken when he moved in, I think £625 a month is a fair bit to cough up for a property that is in good order let alone one with a faulty oven door, the one thing the landlords have on their side is the law,so, if there is a problem with the property the poor tennant can't withold their rent because the landlord could evict them, therefore the landlords have the poor sods by the short and curlies,no wonder they show no respect to the landlord,the property and above all the country they have come to live in,  Rip off Britain

Rog

• Like 2

Let me say right out I make money by buying and renting houses. I'm not ashamed of making a profit and I'm not doing it for altruistic reasons, I do it for the money OK.

I seriously doubt anyone here would turn down a bank offering  an interest rate that is almost in double figures so lets not be hypocritical. I don't know the area you mention so can't say if the rent is high or not. What I will say is a proper check should have been made to ensure they can afford it. It is counter productive to drive a tenant into penury.

Most of my tenants are British, I have one Polish family and the same rules apply to both Brits and immigrants with regard to checking their status. So onerous are the penalties I employ a professional to do it for me.

All new tenants have a 'legal' pack explaining everything they need to know and where to go for help should they need it.

It is true, never withhold rent, it is grounds for eviction. If everything your neighbour says is true then it's not good enough by a long way but remember the landlord may be unaware if the agent is a lazy sod.

Beware however of exaggerations, misperceptions and half truths I find a lot of things are not as they first appear.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

As I've often stated, I regularly watch Homes Under The Hammer, and have rarely seen blatant profiteers. Most investors just want to top up their pensions, reside themselves, or as seems to be the main bone of contention, rental.

Most houses are in a sorry state, and it must be a blessing for the neighbours to have improvements made, and a family inhabited within. 

Most make a profit, but are fully entitled to if they've taken a financial risk. 

Better to make a profit by hard graft, than to have a tidy sum drop into your lap.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

HSR, I think there's a slight difference between genuine business dealings, and underhand, sly and devious tactics. 

I cannot for the life of me understand why profit is deemed to be such a dirty word. 

What is the difference between Brew purchasing a old house for renovation, and selling at a profit, and Siddha buying an old vintage car, restoring it to its former glory, an selling it on for a handsome profit ?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Well said Fly2, nothing wrong in profit.

Much wrong in excessive exploitation to realise excessive profit.

A wide contextual perspective and sense of fairness are helpful...……………..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

An advert on tv that really pee's me off, is the Available Car.Com one, where some woman rattles on about saving up to £9k on their cars.

Your not saving anything....... The bleddy things are over five years old !

• Like 2

Exactly Siddha. In the scenario I just mentioned, you would be classed as a genius in refurbishing a seventy year old car, and poor old Brew would be classed as a shark, a shyster, a profiteer, and greedy.  Odd indeed.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

What is the difference between Brew purchasing a old house for renovation, and selling at a profit, and Siddha buying an old vintage car, restoring it to its former glory, an selling it on for a handsome profit ?

If no-one was doing things like that, you can be sure there'd be people who moan about lost heritage......old buildings being demolished and old cars being left to rust and rot away. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

The pub down the road from St Pauls's Church Hall was called in the 1960's The Radford Arms. I was one of the many fencers who frequented it on a Friday night. The landlord and his wife, enjoyed the influx of people at just gone 10.00 pm so much that they would lay sandwiches on just for us ! Who was your dad ? I am still in contact with other fencing people from that time .......

• Like 1