Born ‘58, The Meadows

Lived on Ryeland Crescent, across from the nursery school. Then went to Colleygate Infants and then on to Trent Bridge Juniors. Chaplin, headmaster? Introduced me to the cane, would send us to wash our hands in hot water straight after - made the pain worse! Formidable Mrs Carty who had a version of a cat o’ nine tails but used a slipper instead. Milk monitor was a perk cos you could stay in the classroom during break and mess around with girls. Marbles, bulldog, cards, tennis ball footy and winter slides in the playground. Great footy team, Area champions in 68! (Seem to remember we were joint champions in fact, Welbeck?) Avoided Trent Bridge Seniors and went to Roland Green Bilateral ‘69 - 74. Reid, Science - like to use his cane too! Smithy and Coombes, PE. Smithy was our Brian Glover from Kes. Access to the countryside around the Trent was brilliant; scrumping, fishing, egging. 

To be continued...

• Like 1

Hi bazbo and welcome, also went to Roland green 67_70 look forward to your contributions. There are a couple of members that went to RG.

• 4 months later...
On 5/26/2018 at 8:47 AM, denshaw said:

Welcome Bazbo. Was it Miss Mcarthy an Irish woman who taught at TB? I had the strap off her once for larking about during lessons. I went to Roland Green 1966-70

Sorry for late response! 

No, it was definitely Mrs Carty - but then, it was 50+ years ago! She wore those horn rimmed glasses on a cord, and tweed skirts, mid fifties I reckon. The whole class got slipper from her once for flicking balls of blotting paper dipped in blue ink from the inkwells up to the ceiling using our rulers!! Daft! 

• Like 1

Vaguely remember those names but have no mental picture. Mr Holmes? - managed our football team. I’ve got a picture taken in 1968 somewhere, will post it here.

Welcome Bazbo. Yes, it was indeed Mrs Carty, I was in her class about 1963/4. Just as you describe but I remember her as very nice. She did have a strap, the end went into three separate bits, but it used to sit on her desk as a deterrent and I don't remember her using it. The Headmaster at my time was Mr Pearson who died about the time I left. I remember Mr Griffin, I was also in Miss Hedley's class and twice in Mr Adlams.  

• 2 months later...
On 5/26/2018 at 12:20 AM, Bazbo said:

Lived on Ryeland Crescent, across from the nursery school. Then went to Colleygate Infants and then on to Trent Bridge Juniors. Chaplin, headmaster? Introduced me to the cane, would send us to wash our hands in hot water straight after - made the pain worse! Formidable Mrs Carty who had a version of a cat o’ nine tails but used a slipper instead. Milk monitor was a perk cos you could stay in the classroom during break and mess around with girls. Marbles, bulldog, cards, tennis ball footy and winter slides in the playground. Great footy team, Area champions in 68! (Seem to remember we were joint champions in fact, Welbeck?) Avoided Trent Bridge Seniors and went to Roland Green Bilateral ‘69 - 74. Reid, Science - like to use his cane too! Smithy and Coombes, PE. Smithy was our Brian Glover from Kes. Access to the countryside around the Trent was brilliant; scrumping, fishing, egging. 

To be continued...

We lived there in the shop on the corner of Mayfield grove (No 43), My Mum and Dad ran the shop, it was an off license, I remember the nursery school facing one side of the shop, used to walk past it on the way to Collygate. I remember MR Conolley, he  was the only person I remember on that row of houses, he used to sit on the doorstep singing Irish songs, I used to be mesmorized by his singing, then he'd ask me to nip to the shop for 10 No.6 tipped, which my dad would give me and I'd deliver them safely. I was born in 1967 and we left the shop before it's impending demolition in May 1974. 

I loved living there as a kid, it was a poor area and we were quite privileged as our parents had the shop and we didn't feel the pinch like some people did, they destroyed a community and built a slum in my opinion.

I love looking at the old photographs, there is one with an Anglia van in that's dated around the time that we were there and my dad had an Anglia, but as far as I remember, it was all pale blue, not the two tone paint job in the photo. But in the houses nearby there was a kind old lady called Mrs Skinner and her neighbour, who's name escapes me, but she was a bit scary to a child, all Victorian furniture in her living room, it was always dark and she used to have big sweet jars in the sideboard which you could take a sweet from if offered, just the one mind, her clothes reminded me of dark Victorian clothing, I didn't like it when we were asked to take anything from the shop to her, she scared me, not Mrs Skinner though, she was a lot nicer to visit, a salt of the earth friendly old lady.

I know that I am about 9 years Younger but you must surely remember my mum and Dad that ran the shop?? 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...
On 5/26/2018 at 12:20 AM, Bazbo said:

Lived on Ryeland Crescent, across from the nursery school. Then went to Coll

eygate Infants and then on to Trent Bridge Juniors. Chaplin, headmaster? Introduced me to the cane, would send us to wash our hands in hot water straight after - made the pain worse! Formidable Mrs Carty who had a version of a cat o’ nine tails but used a slipper instead. Milk monitor was a perk cos you could stay in the classroom during break and mess around with girls. Marbles, bulldog, cards, tennis ball footy and winter slides in the playground. Great footy team, Area champions in 68! (Seem to remember we were joint champions in fact, Welbeck?) Avoided Trent Bridge Seniors and went to Roland Green Bilateral ‘69 - 74. Reid, Science - like to use his cane too! Smithy and Coombes, PE. Smithy was our Brian Glover from Kes. Access tmrsgshdhdjo the countryside around the Trent was brilliant; scrumping, fishing, egging. 

To be continued...

Mrs Carty died in the early 70’s actually in the classroom whilst teaching my sister at Trent Bridge School - I went to Trent Bridge from 75-79 before moving into Roland Green 79-84

There a song at Trent Bridge that went to the tune of Jingle Bells:

Jingle Bells, Carty smells

Dawson’s got no hair

Mr Smith has weed his pants 

and that’s why he’s so queer

• 1 year later...

only just come across this forum....

Got a memory that Mrs Carty was off work sick and came back to work (way too early) specifically to see her class front that mornings school assembly. I remember her keeling over like a ton of bricks during the the course of the assembly and then Mr Abbott running hell for leather probably to dial 999. We were all sent back to the classroom. Think it was the deputy head, ?Mr Blunsden, who broke the news later that morning that Mrs Carty had died. 

Pretty sure I remember Elaine Spencer (who was in the Portland swimming club with me back then) and Jeremy ?Tribbick from that assembly.

Also remember a lass by the name of Donna who was in absolute floods of tears, totally inconsolable that morning

• 3 months later...

Apologies for the delay, but here's the TB '68 Area Champions as promised yonks ago.  

Trent-Bridge-XI_sml.jpg

Mr Holmes, manager.

On 1/6/2019 at 7:26 PM, Richb said:

We lived there in the shop on the corner of Mayfield grove (No 43), My Mum and Dad ran the shop, it was an off license, I remember the nursery school facing one side of the shop, used to walk past it on the way to Collygate. I remember MR Conolley, he  was the only person I remember on that row of houses, he used to sit on the doorstep singing Irish songs, I used to be mesmorized by his singing, then he'd ask me to nip to the shop for 10 No.6 tipped, which my dad would give me and I'd deliver them safely. I was born in 1967 and we left the shop before it's impending demolition in May 1974. 

I loved living there as a kid, it was a poor area and we were quite privileged as our parents had the shop and we didn't feel the pinch like some people did, they destroyed a community and built a slum in my opinion.

I love looking at the old photographs, there is one with an Anglia van in that's dated around the time that we were there and my dad had an Anglia, but as far as I remember, it was all pale blue, not the two tone paint job in the photo. But in the houses nearby there was a kind old lady called Mrs Skinner and her neighbour, who's name escapes me, but she was a bit scary to a child, all Victorian furniture in her living room, it was always dark and she used to have big sweet jars in the sideboard which you could take a sweet from if offered, just the one mind, her clothes reminded me of dark Victorian clothing, I didn't like it when we were asked to take anything from the shop to her, she scared me, not Mrs Skinner though, she was a lot nicer to visit, a salt of the earth friendly old lady.

I know that I am about 9 years Younger but you must surely remember my mum and Dad that ran the shop?? 

Sorry RichB, don't remember your folks. I think there were a couple, if not a few, owners during my years on the Crescent, 58 - 72. We'd get stuff on the slate for bread, milk and sugar and I think there was a freezer cabinet with all the famous sucker (ice lolley) brands. Shame the file size limit is so small on here, would love to see the Anglia van shot and any others.

10 minutes ago, Bazbo said:

Shame the file size limit is so small on here, would love to see the Anglia van shot and any others.

That 'File Size System' on here is rubbish. You're almost the only person who's ever used it !

Best bet is to use one of the free Image Hosting sites to post photos here; then you can work with sensible file sizes.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/best/best-image-hosting-websites

• 9 months later...

1. Any school reunions happening anytime soon?

2. Shame there's not a feature on this site that sends out notifications/alerts/newsletters to the database or maybe when someone posts. I'm sure like me, folks forget about the site.

3. Anyone remember any of the players in the footy team shot (see above)? Here's a reminder:
Back Row (L-R): Kevin Pikett, Amullah Khan, Gary Wingfield, Stephen Carthy (emigrated to SA), Geoffrey Lander.
Middle Row (L-R): Simon Barton, Kevin Charlesworth, Tony Brothwell, Paul Myrie, Gavin Neil, Mr Holmes
Front Row (L-R): Chris Pox, David Brothwell

2 hours ago, Bazbo said:

Shame there's not a feature on this site that sends out notifications/alerts/newsletters to the database or maybe when someone posts. I'm sure like me, folks forget about the site.

There is such a feature, but it's not easy to use.

Click on 'Follow' at the top of the first post on this thread.

Click on your user name at the top right corner of the home page.

Click on Manage Followed Content.

Then click on the relevant bits to get notifications from various threads.

Now what was this cinema called? Was it the Grove?

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm007251/posterid/ntgm007251.html

Corner of Mayfield Grove and Kirke White St. Saturday morning matinee's to watch Flash Gordon et al. Was it a tanner when combined with the top of a PG's tea carton which gave a discount on the full price? Memory's sketchy on this one! And the back of the cinema was the cobbled alleyway that went all the way down to Ryeland Crescent to face the nursery school. We lived at that corner. Avoided it in the main as it was a filthy, dog fouled, rubbish strewn in parts. Don't think anyone really used it.

38 minutes ago, denshaw said:

That was the Grove, late sixties it was a Bingo hall.

Vaguely remember the cinema closing. Was there a coal merchant opposite, sort of tucked under the railway support structure? Or was that at the top of Bruce Grove?

Looking at some of the old images on https://picturenottingham.co.uk/ the council destroyed countless beautiful, soundly built buildings of architectural integrity. Talk about over zealous planners! 

Wonder whatever happened to the millions of cobble stones they ripped up from the Meadows? :mellow:

What's telling is the lack of trees in the old Meadows! Perhaps the Victorians only saw them as important for the grand boulevards and arboretums that they could enjoy in their leisure rather than for areas where ordinary workers lived. :wacko:

15 hours ago, Bazbo said:

What's telling is the lack of trees in the old Meadows! Perhaps the Victorians only saw them as important for the grand boulevards 

There's nothing surprising or unusual about the lack of trees in The Meadows.

There were no trees or green spaces in any of the back-to-back terraces built for 'the working classes' in Victorian times. Trees would have occupied space which could be used for more badly-built tenements which people would get nostalgic about 100 years later.