Canning Circus was a very important thoroughfare in times gone by..a sandy climb up , what we now call Derby Rd.

At midnight in the past ..this area was for burying suicides.

No longer called Sandhills..some photos of times past.Canning-_Circus-redevelopment-1956.jpgpre development..1956.canning-circus-to-alfreton-rd-clearence-clearance of area...1959.cottage-terrace-canning-circus-_Late-19719th century dwellings on Cottage Terrace.canning-circus-to-ilkeston-rd-1957.jpg1957..facing Boots Cash Chemist.canning-terrace-reovations-1978_1.jpgCanning Terrace renovations..40 years ago.canning-terrace-reovations-1978.jpgAlmshousing...1978.ilkeston-rd-toward-canning-circus-1988.jTaken from Ilkeston rd.canning-circus-after-alterations-1983.jpmid 80's alterations.tramlines-unearthed-canning-circus-1983.Tramlines unearthed in 1983 at location.canning-circus-light-maintenance-1989.jpSunday maintenance of lights..late 80's.

• Like 6

Used to go around Canning Circus twice a day on the bus on the way to school. Wasn’t there a cemetery behind those white buildings through the arch?

There was and still is, it's the Nottingham General Cemetery. Wasn't in a particularly good state when I last went by.

Alton Cigar Co.factory was in Canning Circus  ..as seen in image one- designed by Boden Assoc.

Perhaps that's where Boden St. name came from..a big wig of the time?altons.jpgAlton House..Cigar Co.Derby rd.Canning Circus.alton1.jpg

Think it's a seperate shot Malcolm..letter boxes look new.

Didn't we have a cigar factory query a few years ago?.

Frankly i miss those days..when half a dozen or so would investigate an old photo..miss Cliff and Bubblewrap..Andy is a great bloke for maps and info..as is Cliff too.

Maybe it's the holiday season?

Seems a Frederick Ball designed Alton Cigar factory..with a fella called Lamb.

Worked on many popular buildings that still stand today:220px-10_King_Street.jpg220px-_The_Johnson_Arms_-_geograph.org.u400px-_Grosvenor_Buildings.jpg220px-_Former_Lion_Hotel_Clumber_Street_

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

Didn't we have a cigar factory query a few years ago?.

Yes we did. Karlsruhe House...although it wasn't called that when my grandfather worked there. Some young chap was going to research its history and take photos. Never heard any more about that. The cigar manufacturer was Sidney Pullinger.

• Like 1

Thanks Jill..i asked the crystal set..why Canning Circus...no answer and gave me Boden etc...

• Like 1

Thanks for the photo Ian. I think it was Clowers. The entrance door/building looks right. I was 14 when I went with mum to view granddad. We were concerned because someone down the road from us in Bilborough had died not long before granddad and the undertakers mixed up the bodies. We wanted to make sure they had got it right. They had. A difficult  experience for a 14 year old but we needed to be sure and I had to support my mum.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

397721f48d36d05f17e6079986f2cd95.jpgLate 1870's here, before Boots & Ben Bowers.I see the house on the corner of Wollaton and Talbot st.is exposed.

Photo of The Borlace..1950's.68488-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgOne time, Bradley brewed and bottled on Raleigh St.

Shippos brought them out mid- fifties.

• Like 1

Reading back through older contributions .. i see another area is known as Sandhills.

Nice to see you back Shirley..ian.