When my dad, who had been in the "British Control Commission" in Germany from 1945 -1956, returned to Nottingham he brought back my mother and me from Germany and we lived in a large ,white house at the top end of Third Avenue. It had been converted into flats for rent. It was a beautiful building with a huge garden, which had become totally overgrown. As a 9 year old ,this was my play paradise and I remember it fondly.

Do any of our forum local historians know anything about the history of this house? I would be very interested !

IAN123 I'll dig around for a photo. The neighbouring house was a Nursing home owned by an ex- RAF man called (David) Wickham, who built a modern house for his family on the same plot.

Also just remembered that one of the flats in the white house was lived in by an ex- Notts cricketer: (?) Meads.

Would it have been Number 9 ,Third Ave ? 

In 1893 it was being auctioned off when a Miss Rebecca Strover lived there . Interestingly going back to the 1891 Census also living with her were a couple of cousins with the name Birkin . Lace connection ? Rebecca was daughter of Samuel Strover ,Royal Navy sea captain.

1899 it was again for sale being described as a large house complete with tennis court , stables and conservatories occupied by a William Hall .

DAVIDW  Wow! That's really interesting. It was the very last house on Third Avenue. The one you describe could be the one which was next door.

Could your 'W' stand for Wickham? My best friend at the time was Susan Wickham, who had a younger brother David. (Probably too much of a coincidence).

Met Eric when he was in the same care home'' as my dear old Dad,,Park House'' Cinderhill road,,Bulwell,,......Dad introduced me to him,,and after that had a couple of nice chats with him,,he was really pleased that he was remembered,,i gave him a Cricket book (can't recall which one) that mentioned him a couple of times,,