Butchers in the Medders

Hi,

Its been a long, long time.

I'm trying to think of a butchers shop down the Meadows, where I worked about 1964.

It was a one-man band (along with his missus), but they used to supply to hotels, shops etc.

My job, as a 15/6 year old, was boning bacon, making pies and my famous sausages.

Wednesday, was dripping day.  We had a commercial boiler type thing.  I used to fill it up with pork fat, or beef fat, and render it down to dripping.

I then poured it into waxed tapered packets.  The whole area stunk terribly on Wednesdays, but the end product was worth waiting for.

About half way down Arkwright Street (from Town), I turned to a street on the right, but can't recall that either.

Anyone help please ?  It's on the tip of my tongue,,,,,,, probably, as soon as I press Submit, it'll come to me !

My last visit to Nottingham, unfortunately was to my Auntie Eileen's funeral, at Bilborough.  A sad sad loss.

Hope everyone is well.

Baz

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

There was a damn good Butcher’s on Holgate Road called Jowett’s - people used to come from all parts on Nottingham to buy their meat 

But like all the great corner shops on Holgate Road - they are long gone. I fondly remember it being a hive of activity on a Saturday morning 

• Like 1