One of the most prized areas to have a shop today...the rent & rates are costly..part of the so called Council dubbed 'Golden Mile'.

Clumber i Remember.JR_TEM_Bygones_010618_07.jpgA tied house, The Crystal Palace..next door to Thorntons Toffee Shop.

A 'nip in ' pub..like the Corner Pin..or The Old Corner Pin..being right.54351.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgserved halfs only and anyone recall the stilton sandwiches they dished out?

Burtons was on the corner..which in turn became a Top Man.

06ee92135f85a6263c4feba578663405--nottin

• Like 2

I don't recall the Kardomah being here..wasn't born yet.

Now a sports emporium- The Pepper

Mill cafe was on the same side..up an alley opposite Evans Ladieswear..trendy coffee and quiche.2c5a6e087bb937e97d6022bd8ad91600--nottinnottingham-clumber-street-c1950_n50301.jColmans Yard is on the right.

• Like 2

bradleys_clumber.jpgHindleys, Bradleys and Virgin -this shop housed all three record and tape sellers.

Great for Deep Purple imports!

Thraves was around here one time..and over the road was Lincoln Street - Johnathan James ..a watch repairer and a photo studio up a flight of ancient stairs.26092104.jpgSpalls,Truform for cheap boots and Howitts.Dennis & Roberts are having a clean up, Glance back on this drizzly day and the Welbeck is in the haze..Walkers the Jewellers - next to The Lion.4abf889ccd9ae1d042d53c192b8133ac.jpg

• Like 2

I remember the Stilton sandwiches at the Old Corner Pin but I thought those at The Bell were better.

I have some great memories of Clumber Street.

Near to the alley where the Pepper Mill was located there was a small, very olde worlde jewellers with an upstairs where you could buy all sorts of jewellery bits and bobs and watch parts. A woman worked there who could strip down and reassemble a watch in about ten minutes. I think a lot of so-called watch repair businesses took their work there for her to do for them.

Thanks jonab..what was the Chinese Restaurant near The Crystal Palace..was it the Nan Kok...such a long time ago!

Nice post from Mary1947...my Dad bought his watch from May's.

A late night mistake....Colmans Yard is on the left...entrance to Primark today.

Nan Kok - yes! had lots of 2/- (then half-crown, then five bob) lunches there. I was introduced to the jam fritter there. A complete abomination but luckily I was well into enjoying Chinese food before that so it didn't put me off entirely. (For anyone that doesn't know, a jam fritter is a normal bread and jam sandwich dipped in batter and deep-fried).

1 minute ago, carni said:

'Jam Fritter'  Sounds scrumptious, especially topped with a dollop of icecream........................Pass the Rennies :biggrin:

Not into deep-fried Mars Bars are you, carni?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Pure Guesswork..gum chewing has to be well below 50 â„… of what it was 30 years ago. Used to get offered a wrigleys spearmint quite often back then..always refused..wish they been equally generous with their JPS !

It must be one of the filthiest streets in Nottingham. It might help if the shop staff cleaned outside their own shop.

Just before Christmas, I went to the HSBC. There was rice, noodles and some obnoxious red fluid outside the window at 11 in the morning. Then again, would I like to clean up some oafs vomit prior to starting work..... No. 

• Like 1

Disgusting..I remember Boot's in the 80"s had a swill out  team..bleached the whole frontage on Parliament Street including the pillars about 4am..late buses used to go from there back then.

.Fly..do you also work for the tourist board?

Sweet & Sour sauce I reckon HSR. 

In France all cities of any reasonable size (Nottingham would easily fit into the category) have streets cleaned daily by an 'army' of council employed workers known as éboueurs. They start work very early in the morning and have finished before most people have risen from their bed. Many small towns have council employed street cleaners with slightly different responsibilities but they still keep things spruced up.

Where is the pride in Britain?

38 minutes ago, jonab said:

In France all cities of any reasonable size (Nottingham would easily fit into the category) have streets cleaned daily by an 'army' of council employed workers known as éboueurs. They start work very early in the morning and have finished before most people have got out of bed. Many small towns have council employed street cleaners with slightly different responsibilities but they still keep things spruced up.

Where is the pride in Britain?

Hope its like that now. my brother in law lives in Grenoble and walking through the centre it was like an obstacle course every morning. Dogs were always turned out in the early mornings so until about 10am you could walk freely but after that watch out.

Here we don't find many dirty streets.

I don't know Grenoble but, as far as I'm aware, all the towns and cities along the Côte d'Azur have a similar pride in their appearance and employ éboueurs. Marseilles lets things down due, perhaps, to its maritime roughness and large North African population.

• 1 year later...

In the mid to late Seventies I recall a shop, roughly next to the Lion Hotel, doors were always wide open, so the chap on the mic could be heard, 

Never went in personally but did find it interesting!

I quote...

'not asking 20 quid, only looking for a tenner, a sea of hands go up..

tell you what, a fiver, sorry folks..the lady there got it'

Used to see these sort of shops regularly at the seaside, this is the only time I recall seeing one on a main high street.

Some real tat, but did throw in luxuries like a toaster etc... probably reserved for the 'chosen few '..

A little confused, Where would the Kardomah Cafe be today, does the building still stand? I'm thinking facing McDonald's...

I remember the remnants of the old photographic studio, up a flight of stairs, had the name in frosted glass in the early 80's, looked for it on Google earth years ago, modern market stall was the best I got, also looked like the building behind had been modernised.. 

Think the studio was taken over by Joules? (Name/spelling) in 1930, they also had a branch on Arkwright St, and branches Nationwide/Manchester. Can't recall off hand what the studio was called previously..