Old Streets of Nottingham

It's a question I've asked several candidates. "why do you want to be on the council" . Never had a satisfactory answer and some of the BS is laughable.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much in one picture memory wise,,, one of those shops i persuaded to become a VG store Mr Roberts was the owner,,,,,,,,,,,,probably part of the reason for my promotion to ''Sales Manager'' which le

Agreed Brew. It does appear to attract the bull s******s. The level of incompetence within parish councils is eye watering and some of them are spurred to go on to greater things. I must confess that I stood for parish council when I was 21 and didn’t get elected. I did however split the vote and deposed an old fart who’d been there for years. That caused deep divisions! smile2

29 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Do these people have a dedication to public service or do they want recognition that they can’t achieve by honest graft?

Well, I know which of the two I think is the case...but then I'm well known for being a cynic! As someone once observed, most of the damage done in this world is by people with a need to think well of themselves.

Think to much of themselves???

A couple of years back we were called to a house on Standhill Road to change a ball cock in the tank in the roof space. The owner had already bought the ball cock and being unable to fit it had left it in the roof. The lad went up while I waited below as he weighs considerable less than me, all done off we went.

The next day I get a phone call from her to tell me how we had damaged the bathroom ceiling and wanting the name of my insurance company, what she didn't know was I had been in the bathroom whilst waiting for the lad.

I arranged to go and see her, and while there asked to see the damage we had allegedly caused, she pointed to a tiny white spot on a dark purple ceiling, then looked askance at me as I took out my camera and photographed the 6" hole in the middle of the ceiling where someone had tried to fit a bullseye light without first finding out where the roof joints were.

When I refused to give her the information about the insurance company she said "I hope you know I work for the city council" to which I replied "tell me where and I will tell them that you have just tried to commit insurance fraud" The look on her face was something to be hold, she really thought that because she worked for the council I would be cowed in to retreat.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

That smell in the air after rain is called petrichor. I know of several companies (including the one I worked for) who were/are looking at the extremely complex constitution of the odour.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DaveN said:

Remember catching either the 1, 7 or 22 buses on Hanley Street when I lived in Bobbers Mill. 

Me too. Saturday afternoons I used to go to dancing lessons with my sister, then central market and catch the 7 or 22 home to Radford. I used to sit on the top deck looking over into the electricity sub station with its dials and coils like a scene from a Frankenstein film.

• Like 1

Remember the chip shop well ,came out of the pub opposite side of the road , the down to catch the 43 or 44 home. O the joys of youth, but I cannot remember the name of the pub, joys of age.

• Like 1

There is a fair amount of suggestion on the forum regarding underhand dealings by "those in authority" on the council and the like and I am wondering if there is concrete evidence (legal records etc) that this actually took place. I am more than prepared to accept that it did and I remember a scandal involving the Chief Constable, Popkess, which happened around the late 50's - 60's.

Also, is my memory correct in thinking that a Director of Education (I think for the county, not city) killed himself by jumping under a tube train in London?

• Like 1

I think the Popkess affair related to the police investigating private work done at councillors homes by council personnel. Capt. Popkess, the chief constable, was suspended by the 'watch committee' of the council. There was a public outcry resulting in a mass protest meeting in the Old Market Square. I remember going to the meeting with my father. Feeling was so strong that he was reinstated. There may be more on this if you do some trawling.

The director of eduction for the county was J Edward Mason. He did jump in front of a tube train in London and was killed. I think it was do with some sort of marital infidelity.

Can't see any news stories about work done on councillors homes but there are many reports of the visit to East Germany by two councillors .

"Capt. Popkess was suspended from duty by the Watch Committee for over a month earlier this year , after refusing to disclose details of a Scotland Yard investigation into a visit to East Germany by two members of the Labour group ......( to view a planetarium).
03 November 1959 - Birmingham
9 minutes ago, DAVIDW said:
Can't see any news stories about work done on councillors homes but there are many reports of the visit to East Germany by two councillors .

"Capt. Popkess was suspended from duty by the Watch Committee for over a month earlier this year , after refusing to disclose details of a Scotland Yard investigation into a visit to East Germany by two members of the Labour group ......( to view a planetarium).
03 November 1959 - Birmingham

Yes my original recollection was incorrect. I have also found this information online.

At first I thought motorbikes till I realised I was getting confused with Francis Barnett.  But Lea Francis was a car manufacturer.

• Like 2

Top picture move to the right and there was another Marsdens........down the side of Marsdens was the Coop club,,played Tennis there in 1964,, later to become the Coops Western club..........

• Like 2

Memories, I worked in this area for 25 years.

Top pic includes, going north far side of the road, a long-boot Austin 105 in 2 tone colour.

Bottom pic has a bus coming towards the camera (centre of pic) I guess this is one of the remaining older AEC Regent 1 that the corporation still had. (I'm in a bus mood today).

• Like 1

When my Grandfather married my Grandmother  and they moved from East Yorkshire to Nottingham his address was Russell Street. This was where they lived before they moved to live in Sneinton. I have found Russell Street  on the map. My mother's cousin said that this was a street full of lodging houses in the early 1900 s . I am sure that Nottstalgians will know lots about Russell Street.

• Like 1