Old Streets of Nottingham

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much in one picture memory wise,,, one of those shops i persuaded to become a VG store Mr Roberts was the owner,,,,,,,,,,,,probably part of the reason for my promotion to ''Sales Manager'' which le

A church now I think. 

Yes, the congregation did a good job, and set bedding plants all around the perimeter border last year, but some local oafs pulled a lot up.

10 hours ago, Bubblewrap said:

The Northern Baths is now indeed a church
Nice clean living people?  :P :P :P :P

Been a church for ages BW !

They all look clean & smart to me.

• Like 4

I inherited a few lovely pieces of mahogany furniture from my Granny.  When we were moving back to Nottingham I didn’t think that a lot of this stuff would look right in our new home so I got a local antiques expert (Charlie Ross, who’s often on the telly)  to come and give me some valuations.  Most of the large pieces turned out to be (in Charlie’s opinion) 1930s Waring and Gillow, and not antique.  This actually made a lot of sense because the furniture had originally been in my great grandparents Wollaton village house which was bought new in 1930 and they went shopping for furniture at that very shop.  I still have the furniture, couldn’t bare to get rid of it !! 

• Upvote 1

No substitute for quality !  Hang on to it Lizzie. Just because something is antique certainly doesn't mean it's valuable or even good quality. 

Yes folks, I love the Antiques Roadshow !

7 hours ago, IAN123. said:

54784.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgQuality furniture from here...even though now in the garage storing routers etc.. a fine TV cabinet from here set me back 600 notes!

Used to be Jessops - who moved to Viccy Centre.

• Like 1

When Jessops was on that site, I can only remember quite a small store selling selling largely textiles, soft furnishings and homewares. It was a massive increase in size, ranges and operation when they moved to Vic Centre. My wife worked for them when John Lewis took them over, that's at a time when customers seemed to matter.

• Like 1

I remember Jessops as large premises extending way down King Street from Parliament Street. Yes, they did sell the things you describe but also had an extensive furniture department, fashions (mainly women's but also menswear), a large cosmetics area, electrical goods (white goods and electronics). On the top floor was an excellent restaurant. In fact, a comprehensive department store.

Easily as good a place as Griffin & Spalding.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Got a feeling jonab might have dined here?52468.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgThe Canton on Wollaton St.

Stockwoods " Two Up" next door...and the Penny Farthing Nightclub( opened xmas day.) Which later became Scamps.Paulines Florist became Ace Records...he's in West End Arcade now.

Yep! I certainly did. Not my favourite Chinese, it seemed too 'English' but, I suppose, like everywhere, they have to tailor the menus according to their major clientele. I used to go to the Canton before my evening lectures at the Technical College although the Guildhall Tavern was favourite (a couple of pints, a cheese sandwich and two cold sausages left over from the lunchtime session).

• Like 1
On 8/21/2018 at 11:35 AM, jonab said:

On the top floor was an excellent restaurant.

I had my first experience in Jessops restaurant of 'Welsh Rarebit' one Saturday lunchtime in 1962/3. Until then I had only had common or garden 'Cheese on Toast' at home! I had just finished my morning shift at my Saturday job, learning 'Silver Service table waiting' at the CO-OP restaurant. That 'Welsh Rarebit' took all my mornings wage up in one go. I never went again, but I enjoyed it so much that I learnt the recipe and still enjoy it, I never fail to think of my visit to Jessops when I have that meal.

• Like 2
On 8/19/2018 at 9:10 AM, Bubblewrap said:

When were the Basford tower blocks demolished?

1985/6 i think Bubble

23 minutes ago, carni said:

I had my first experience in Jessops restaurant of 'Welsh Rarebit' one Saturday lunchtime in 1962/3. Until then I had only had common or garden 'Cheese on Toast' at home! I had just finished my morning shift at my Saturday job, learning 'Silver Service table waiting' at the CO-OP restaurant. That 'Welsh Rarebit' took all my mornings wage up in one go. I never went again, but I enjoyed it so much that I learnt the recipe and still enjoy it, I never fail to think of my visit to Jessops when I have that meal.

I experienced my first Welsh Rarebit around 1963. It was a girl called Janet in Llandudno! ;)

• Like 2

I wasn't going to comment carnie,but you've forced me........i knew Janet in Llandudno in 62..before Phil got anywhere near her.........lol

• Like 2