Old Streets of Nottingham

We were up that end of the woods 3/4  weeks ago benj, during one of our car rides. I'm sure one of our members has a relation living there or lived there. Could be Katyjay, I'm sure she will remind us if it is her. Lovely scenery around there.

• Like 1
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much in one picture memory wise,,, one of those shops i persuaded to become a VG store Mr Roberts was the owner,,,,,,,,,,,,probably part of the reason for my promotion to ''Sales Manager'' which le

• 2 weeks later...

My Grandma used to take into that RAF place so I could sit in the Spitfire cockpit they had on display.

Geoffrey Treace came to Carlton-le-Willows when I was there in the 60s and read and talked to a group of us. Remember him being a lovely, interesting man.  Then a few years ago we had a dog-sitter with the same surname, I asked if she was related and was astounded that she was his granddaughter.  

• Like 2

There was definitely a white one at the bottom of Thackerys Lane near the railway bridge.

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly because in past times, there's possibly been a Toll Gate in operation, and a fee was paid in order to gain passage. However, it could date from days when animals were penned in the areas.

Most garages started off life as bicycle repair shops then onto motor cycles and finally motor cars, the garage I worked at near the bottom of Sneinton road started out as a motor cyle then motor car garage, the room upstairs that we used as a type of spare department was full of lod motor car lamps (paraffin or carbide) wooden wheel rims and tyre to suit, all manner of engine gasket sets and water hoses, would be worth an absolute fortune taday

Rog

• Like 1

Looking at the big red doors from the road,there was a small wicket door to the right where you entered first thing in the morning, pushed open the right side sliding door fully and swung the three petrol pump booms out over the pavement to come to rest over the kerb edge, there was Major 2 star, Major 3 star and Shell 4 star petrol, then I had to close that big door and open the left side door fully to swing out the diesel pump boom and let that come to rest over the kerb edge, then close that door and open the right side door that was left open all day, inside the garage was the three petrol pumps, (Avery Hardoll) next working the way down the garage was three oil tanks about 3 feet by 4 feet, each these held engine oil,two different grades and two grades of gear oil, then followed the gas welding gear which consisted of a oxygen bottle on a trolley and a large grey water tank the top of which held carbide granuals that when mixed with water produced acetylene gas, at the end of the building was a open top paraffin tank about 5 feet long by 3 feet wide, this had a foot operated pump that pumped the liquid through a pipe and was used for washing parts etc,left again was a compressed air tank that was used for raising and lowering the car ramp, that has swing out arms to fit any sized car chasis, next to that was the wooden stairs that led to the office,toilet and spares/stock room, under the stairs was the steps leading down to the cellar,down there was access to the garage pit that had a heavy iron grid over it that had to be removed using the overhead hand operated crane,down there was a sink with hot and cold water taps for washing, back up from the cellar was the garage office that contained an old double car seat for us to sit and have our snap  and the till for cash sales, through a hatchway at the side of that was access to the window where we used to display items for sale,gallon tins of Major 20/50 engine oil 10/6 a gallon and any small item the boss wanted to sell,spark plugs,points,distributor caps etc, this would be the window to the left of the building as viewed from the road,

Sorry if this has been a long winded post but I had to write it all down while it was coming back to me

Rog

• Like 1

Last time I was down that neck of the woods it was a tyre place, don't know what year the garage finished,it was owned by Geoff and Roy Would,their father worked upstairs in the office and did all the paperwork, if a customer needed any tyres we had them delivered and with me being the apprentice I had to learn to fit them using hand tools, a clamp type thing for breaking the bead then tyre leavers and rubber mallets to remove the tyre from the rim, fitting the new ones on wasn't as hard as you think, slam the rim into the tyre as far as you could then using tyre leavers and rubber mallet work your way round until it was on, inflate to about 70 psi,check for leaks, lower pressure to correct setting,take down to the cellar and put on the balancing machine,fit weights where needed and put the whole lot on the car, usually about 15 minutes from start to finish

Rog

• Like 1
5 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Maybe Rog and Roger nipped in here?

Very much so Ian, thats the shop that had a row of square biscuit tins on the floor at the front of the counter to show what biscuits they had for sale, when a little kid my grandmother would send me round there for some bits and bobs, sometimes I would have to ask for fire lighters or firewood sticks, these were kept in the back of the shop so the lady who was serving had to leave the counter for a short while to get them, then was my chance to help myself to some biscuits from the tins,(usually Garibaldy or chocolate bourbons) and quickly put them in my pockets, when she returned with the sticks or fire lighters she would tell me the price of the goods and then ask "should I put the biscuits on your grandma's bill as well Roger,"? she knew me too well, great memory,thanks for the picture Ian

Rog

• Like 2

Don't remember that terrace in particuler Jill, there were many terraces as I remember it most of them leading from Bunbury street and they nearly al seemed to run down hill a bit, and all of them had those blue bricks on the ground, the ones with the diamond shape in them, little wooden gates coming off the entry to a little back yard complete with privvy and coalhouse usually with green painted doors, spotless door steps that had a shallow part in the middle,no doubt formed by years of being scrubbed by the lady of the house,we lived in the end house of Bayford cottages off Bathley street,the entry or terrace opened up into a bit of a courtyard where there was another set of houses going either side of said courtyard, we had a small square backyard with the blue bricks on the ground,opposite the house accross the small yard was the two out buildings of privvy and coalhouse and that was the same for all the other houses in that row,I think about 4 or 5, the end of the entry exited onto Bunbury street just short of the bus sheds, The end house who's side ran along Bunbury street had a particular fascination for me, the man of the house had an aviary built onto the side wall and he kept canaries,budgies and some little finches,bright colours in the grey world of the 1950's, sorry to have rambled a bit there but aint memories great for giving you that warm feeling?

Rog

• Like 1

Preston Terrace was right at the Kirkby St end of 'Bumbo' opposite the little playground. It would have been pulled down in 1974.

We never used that offy but I used to get sent there for the bread. Batch-type bloomers with the hard round crusty end and the other soft.  By the time I'd got it home I'd piggled a big chunk out of it and then got a bat round the tab.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, trophydave said:

Ian,was one of the shops in the picture a cobblers?

I don't remember a cobblers being in that row, it started with the Lamp public house,then Fletchers the butchers, a entry leading to a house at the back of the butchers, then a wool shop,sold baby clothes and stuff like that, the garage (Claringburn and Codd) Deny's shop took up two maybe three shop fronts,next to him was the Chinese chip shop, not sure what the shop was on the corner though but don't think it was a cobblers,sorry can't be more helpful than that

Rog

• Like 1