Old Streets of Nottingham

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much in one picture memory wise,,, one of those shops i persuaded to become a VG store Mr Roberts was the owner,,,,,,,,,,,,probably part of the reason for my promotion to ''Sales Manager'' which le

in the previous picture on page ten .Seen that picture on here before Ian, was someone looking for some info about that house, is/was it down the Meadow lane/Colwick/Sneinton area? think it might have been "piggy and babs" posting about it, another great memory jog

Rog

• Like 1
On 9/23/2018 at 6:51 AM, Willow wilson said:

Ian, the picture above titled 'Cranbrook Street 1975' is of Brook Street, taken from the junction with Gedling street, the shadow on the left is of the Salvation Army men's hostel situated on Gedling st.

I’ve got a confession to make.

My references here to Gedling street should read Boston Street.

• Like 1

I remember at the top of Drury Hill there was always a smell - always the same and quite pleasant. I was told years later it came from an electroplating shop located above one of the shops on the left (going down to Broad Marsh). The smell was probably cyanide from the plating baths.

• Like 2

I mentioned that smell in the topic "Nottingham smells" Jonab, great memories coming back now, there was a factory or similar that had quite a large doorway,that would be on the right just passed halfway as you were going down towards Broad Marsh, that also has a lot of fond memories for me  slywink

Rog

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, plantfit said:

I mentioned that smell in the topic "Nottingham smells" Jonab, great memories coming back now, there was a factory or similar that had quite a large doorway,that would be on the right just passed halfway as you were going down towards Broad Marsh, that also has a lot of fond memories for me  slywink

Rog

Rog, I thought the factory units were all on the left going down. I seem to remember opposite Beecrofts, the only reason I went down Drury,  was Postern Gate or Place which went into a little square where there were various works, including the electroplaters. I only remember shops on the right, but I'm thinking around mid 60s, am I getting mixed up?

• Like 2

I think the factory doorway if thats what it was,was on a bit of a left hand bend in the road,maybe 3/4 the way down on the right, very dark wood or paint and might have had thick wooden frame possibly painted black but very dirty/dusty, this would be 1969/70

Rog

• Like 1

I see Milbro (Millard Brothers) fishing tackle bottom right and no doubt Winmau dart board and Unicorn darts and flights, Kiel Kraft model boats and yachts, are they Gunn and Moore cricket bats far left? Triang pedal car top left?

Rog

• Like 1

Always had a pond yacht, many happy hours down the embankment rec and often a paddle across to the middle to retrieve it.

I remember I had an RAF patrol boat from Gee Dee, plastic went together in parts with an electric motor. They also did a motorised seaplane that sailed and the range also included a tank and other vehicles. Wish I could remember the make.

• Like 2

It's a domestic property now,don't like the way they've done away with the door on the corner, thought that was a nice feature

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

I’m going to sound a right cheapskate now! I’ve been encouraged by mates to publish my little book on Sneinton and the Pretty Windows, but a few of the photos I’ve used are from Picture the Past which charges £40 per download if the photo is to be used commercially.

Does anybody have any copyright free photos of pre-war Sneinton showing the terraced housing, or any photos of Sneinton Market that I could use? They would be acknowledged, of course.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2018 at 1:35 PM, jonab said:

I'm not familiar with any of them. It's just that I was told about Francis and how dreadful he was as an entertainer.

Still is !!!

On 9/16/2018 at 1:22 AM, IAN123. said:

Two Radford colour photos showing locations used in Saturday Night Sunday Morning film.61795.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgAndersons Pawn Shop on Denman St.61798.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgBeaconsfield Terrace, Alan Sillitoe lived at no.6?

I spent many an hour queuing in Anderson's pawn shop with my dads shoes or his best suit. There used to be a queue at the back door even before the shop opened. B.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

I remember Briddocks! The building with the pointed roof? They stocked everything! Floorspace had no premium. Wasn't there also a shop just up from there that sold medals & Militaria ? Very narrow but running parallel with Parliament St?

5 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Upper Parliament St.64369-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgPronuptia was along here as well ...Briddocks for the Hindu Times..never went in that Cafe...she had a scowl.

"REMOUR " for Brides this was the name of the shop before it became "Pronuptia"

• Like 1
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:51 AM, IAN123. said:

Low-_Pavement-1960.jpgLow Pavement, 1960.TSB and Post Office to the right.Building taking place at the top of what was Albert St.

Don't forget good old M&S at the bottom.  See the Ford Angila on the right we had one of those, but bother in law had a better one, the wings of this car used to rust like hell, he had same car has we did, and it cocked it's toe's up so bother took it to a scarp yard, the chap said hells/bells where have you kept the car, has it been kept bottom of the Trent? their was only string keeping it to gather.

• Like 1