Old Streets of Nottingham

27 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Enquired about this before..phone boxes were white?Smiths Bank on South Parade..i did recall white ones in Hull.

White phone boxes were National Telephone Company, so pre-Post Office Telephones. 

Hull is is another story. They stayed separate and were run by Hull City Council until they became Kingston Communications.

• Like 1
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much in one picture memory wise,,, one of those shops i persuaded to become a VG store Mr Roberts was the owner,,,,,,,,,,,,probably part of the reason for my promotion to ''Sales Manager'' which le

I believe I've seen a photo of a white box near Thackerys Lane island. 

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:12 AM, IAN123. said:

Handel Street somewhat later mid 1950's...viewed from Bath St.68662-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgWyvern?

Just near the Humber car (not sure if its a Humber) is that the Vine Pub? spent many a night in there with master just before he used to walk me home.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:08 AM, IAN123. said:

Bridlesmith-1969.jpgBridlesmith Gate, 1969.Is that a Zodiac blocking the street? Remingtons has long been a charity shop.

Is the Fountain pub still there? I remember just below it there was a hairdresser's come colour co-ordinator  the women who owned it used to be on radio Nottingham with Dennis Mc Carthey  first she would explain to you the colours you should were with each outfit, her name was Ann Martine,  can't remember her lasting's very long, at the time I was a course co-ordinator  I would visit salon's to check H-S and make sure students were being trained to the highest standers. You would never see Ann she was always at some exhibition, some were. A Nottingham salon with a seven day wonder women who wanted to be classed as a qualified hair stylist.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mary1947 said:

Just near the Humber car (not sure if its a Humber) is that the Vine Pub? spent many a night in there with master just before he used to walk me home.

mary1947..I have no idea if it's a Humber! I think the Vine pub was the next side street on the left out of camera shot..Had relatives that lived in this area...Newmarket.. Manchester St?

• Like 1

The Vine is still there as I passed it a few weeks ago. It certainly doesn't look as smart nowadays.

Must admit  FLY2

you don't notice what a pub looks  like when your in love.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Whitehalls went up in smoke..and during my go it was The Gaumont..The Hippodrome was yonks back.66737-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgThe council faffed about with kerbs and subways for years in these parts.

Great Nut Brittle and Cinder Toffee at the tuffy shop..into the Saturday Pictures..Our Gang..Flash Gordon & His Claymen..A Twist Of Sand and McKennas Gold seem familiar in evening shows.

If I can recall was the Gaumont turned into a night club called "Maddison's" I seem to remember  going there with most of the Nottingham Forest team. This was during the glory years.

• Like 1

Not sure IAN123 ,  was  not  Barrasford  House around the corner? near what is now The Strathdone hotel?

• Like 1

Never ever paid as with the Forest players we could get in free

• Like 1

Thanks Ian, ‘twas I! Only did a bit, credit should go to Janine. Must have a look when I get back from hols. I wouldn’t think they’ve reopened them as the bottom half is missing and the steep bank that’s left finishes in somebody’s back yard!

• Like 1

Ian

Haven't seen the photo, but the mention of Cartergate tweaked my interest.

My Mum, brother and I moved from Waterway Street in the Meadows when it was demolished to No1 Cartergate in 1976, I think. I was just going to college at the time so was 16 years old.

What was interesting about No1 Cartergate was the feature in the garden. We were given the key to a door in the sandstone rock face. When I opened the door we found it led to a cave, that appeared to me to have been occupied at some point in time. Although many years later I think I read that the location was once the Plague burial ground.

Just a little ditty.

I've had a stiff 'two' doubles - feel a lot better now.

Anthony 

• Like 1

I had no idea about all these different locations! Learn something new everyday on here. Thought I was awestruck staring into the windows of such shops. Given the austerity in 1946 it must have been even more magical !

• Like 2
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:29 AM, IAN123. said:

Tompa and others might recall these locationsSHOP-000-1.jpg.Gee Dee at Hockley..opened 1946.

Remember it well, and the shop is still going strong. I have ordered a few bits and bobs from the shop now and then.    Btw are there any magicians on this site ?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

The shop’s closing for good on Feb 2. No buyer interested. Lots of bargains to be had apparently

Lots of model shops have closed down during the last two years or so, the younger generation are more into computer games.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, IAN123. said:

A well demolished Palm Street.64433-1-280-99999-unpad.jpg

My husband was born in Palm street unfortunately even with lots of help from  Clif Ton have never been able to find a picture in its original state.

51 minutes ago, Gem said:

My husband was born in Palm street unfortunately even with lots of help from  Clif Ton have never been able to find a picture in its original state.

My great grandparents lived at 24 Suez Street in the Little Egypt area of Basford. I remember going there in my pushchair but the house was destroyed in the early to mid 80s. However, some of the original street remains. This area was our old friend Newbasfordlad's point of origin.  I've never seen an image of Suez Street as it originally was either.

53 minutes ago, Gem said:

Don't forget this thread   https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/6912-old-roads-around-basford/?page=6&tab=comments#comment-535469    Scroll down the page a bit for a few photos.

3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Don't forget this thread   https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/6912-old-roads-around-basford/?page=6&tab=comments#comment-535469    Scroll down the page a bit for a few photos.

I have seen and looked when you sent them to me me, Alan  and I sort of worked out  where he lived. It's a very unrealistic hope that one day I could see a picture of just the street. I have downloaded the pictures and printed them they help with the good memories. Gem

3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

My great grandparents lived at 24 Suez Street in the Little Egypt area of Basford. I remember going there in my pushchair but the house was destroyed in the early to mid 80s. However, some of the original street remains. This area was our old friend Newbasfordlad's point of origin.  I've never seen an image of Suez Street as it originally was either.

NBL and Alan exchanged  a few memories when they were both with us.

• Like 1