Old Streets of Nottingham

18 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Southark Street..images-18.jpgVernon Rd.in the distance..photographed from the wasteland on Park Lane..where is The Pear Tree?...great little boozer.

So much in one picture memory wise,,, one of those shops i persuaded to become a VG store Mr Roberts was the owner,,,,,,,,,,,,probably part of the reason for my promotion to ''Sales Manager'' which led to me living in East Anglia,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that wasteland was formerly the home of Pauline an ex Girlfriend,,

Pear Tree ? was the best ever Pub i ever knew,,, bit lower down and right ,,up Bulwell lane,, full of my old relatives that i loved,,,all gone now,,

I recall the Orchard at the back,and drinking as a teenager with older relatives under Pear Trees,,it was always the last pub to have a pint in before catching a trolley bus into town,, 43 ?...........SO many old Basford/Bulwell/Bestwood,,characters used to drink in there,,,

Kenny Gray,,one eyed black Pete,,Uncles Harold,,Harry,,Bill,,John,,Dick,,me Mam and Dad,,Grandma and Grandad,,and many other relatives that i really miss,,to say nowt of old mates mostly football.....

• Like 5
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much in one picture memory wise,,, one of those shops i persuaded to become a VG store Mr Roberts was the owner,,,,,,,,,,,,probably part of the reason for my promotion to ''Sales Manager'' which le

Can't recall the buildings on the right of photo.. i remember coming out of the royal children.. only a  graveyard & church to be seen & the background of the picture looks like maid Marian way which means that I haven't even grasped the aspect!

7 hours ago, HSR said:

Totally confused by this one! Help..

The camera is on Castle Gate looking north west ( towards Friar Lane). Royal Children's on the left. Theosophical Hall is at the end of the street, just beyond the gable of the Sal. That Sal corner is now pedestrianised,  paved over. The Nicholas church is behind the camera, Maid Marian Way parallel to the left. This street was widened soon after by removing the buildings on the right, and beyond the right hand bend at the far end (crossing Hounds Gate which goes right to left) is Spaniel Row leading to Friar Lane.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Foggy, there's a lot of posts on water hydrants. Just type Hydrants in the search box at the top right hand of the page. Some goodies !

• Like 1

Good to see there are some preserved. When I still lived there I never saw a red one of those old Victorian hydrants, they were all black. The Civic society must have records that show them red ?

At least they will live on.

We had one down the bar at Central, ' re-located 'after it was knocked over by a car. What's happened to all the amazing old stuff we had in the bar I don't know.

I think there are photo's of the bar on facebook, the Nottinghamshire retired firefighters site, I'm not on facebook, but have seen the pics.Taken when the station was closing.

• Upvote 1

quite right couldnt remember the difference They were nice to drive and reliable and the fact you could take the bonnet off easily made it a mechanics favourite but they never seemed to take off cant remember seeing many of them The bane with Vauxhall was parts everytime you went to Oscrofts you had to order parts They never seemed to carry much stock Then came the notorius fp victor which descended in to a pile of rust just driving over a damp patch and the Cresta was no better I mot tested one for a pensioner it shone like a shilling up a sweeps a--- only to find it rotten as a pear underneath it wanted major surgery far beyond the finances of a pensioner my forman had the victor he did bodywork and spraying every weekend he was patching it up all to no avail it went rotten faster than he could patch it  meeowed

• Like 1

I learnt to drive in a Victor with the BSM in around 1960. The car was usually parked in Trinity Square when we set off although their base was on Mansfield Rd. It had a three speed column change and a bench seat in the front which could seat three. A good courting car! My father also had one so I was able to drive that at weekends under his tuition.

quite right couldnt remember the difference They were nice to drive and reliable and the fact you could take the bonnet off easily made it a mechanics favourite but they never seemed to take off cant remember seeing many of them The bane with Vauxhall was parts everytime you went to Oscrofts you had to order parts They never seemed to carry much stock Then came the notorius fp victor which descended in to a pile of rust just driving over a damp patch and the Cresta was no better I mot tested one for a pensioner it shone like a shilling up a sweeps a--- only to find it rotten as a pear underneath it wanted major surgery far beyond the finances of a pensioner my forman had the victor he did bodywork and spraying every weekend he was patching it up all to no avail it went rotten faster than he could patch it  meeowed

• Like 1

I also had the mk2 zodi green and cream , reg VVO 767. Manual overdrive, firestone town and country 's on the rear. And like you say meeowed, go all day at 70, the bench seat was a bit slippery though. Mind you, it came in handy at times, (with a girl). And no, that's not why it was slippery!!!

• Like 2
23 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Back to the bottom of Mount St.0-4384264.jpgLooks like the Rotunda building in the haze..i presume the building works to the right is the Cinema The Canon/ ABC?..not sure.

Surprised how wide the road is..is Maid Marian Way that much wider? Thought this would have been adequate. Love that Westminster Building..a bank?

• Like 1

Still a novice..but I'm learning..coming to the conclusion that the Town Centre was ravaged by car parks & the motor car..how ironic that the trend is now pedestrianised ..after all the beautiful buildings are gone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

One of me first jobs..back of Andy Bones

Went to look at buying a Honda CB250 at Andy Bones, they wanted too much for it and wouldn't budge a penny !!. Tight, miserable sods.

6 minutes ago, Waddo said:

Went to look at buying a Honda CB250 at Andy Bones, they wanted too much for it and wouldn't budge a penny !!. Tight, miserable sods.

I have one for sale if you still want one Waddo. 250 Superdream only 16k miles. Ceases to need an MOT this year. Gwan yer know yer wanna

• Upvote 1

I am not wishing to decry Vauxhall they made the one you see as a taxi in heartbeat which used to have an assortment of rods and levers on the steering column gear change it either left you with a box of neutrals or worse still trying to select two gears at the same time not good They seemingly didnt learn any lessons when they produced the bedford doormobile that came with a similar column gearshift which used to shear off Mechanics remedy was to take out a pair of mole grips clamp this to the column to enable you to drive it back to the garage But saying all that I had a p plate astra that did 120 000 miles and never left me at the side of the road once brilliant car I think that the Vauxhall 2000 was the first belt driven camshaft it would be rare today meeowed

• Like 1
7 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Ivys Cafe on Manvers Street

Remember the cafe well Ian, I was apprenticed just round the corner on Sneinton road (next to Deny's) boss would send me round to the cafe most days for a couple of toasted teacakes 6d each, at the other end of that block of shops was a newsagents, (Spurgeons) he was the first bloke in Nottingham to have the new Ford "Capri" when they first came out,his was a powder blue 1500 L,always had it serviced at our garage, in one of the upstairs offices (in the same block of shops) was a theatrical agent Jimmy ?? can't remember his surname but he used to drive a nice big Rover,lovely man

Rog

• Like 1